Has anyone organised their own pet shipping and bypassed pet shipping companies to save $$

ellypage

Hi,

I am new to the forum and we are moving to Adelaide in June/July. I have already done the following: rabies/titers/RNATT and import permit to Australia and was just wondering if I really need to pay all the extra money for a pet shipping company. We have two medium sized dogs we will be bringing with us.

I am a veterinarian with a pretty good handle on importation requirements but would love anyone's experiences good/bad with doing it themselves. Don't mind paying the money if it is really necessary - they are our fur babies after all!

We tried really hard to do this but found that the airlines from Australia would only deal with agents - it may be different flying from the UK though.

Hi,

I am new to the forum and we are moving to Adelaide in June/July. I have already done the following: rabies/titers/RNATT and import permit to Australia and was just wondering if I really need to pay all the extra money for a pet shipping company. We have two medium sized dogs we will be bringing with us.

I am a veterinarian with a pretty good handle on importation requirements but would love anyone's experiences good/bad with doing it themselves. Don't mind paying the money if it is really necessary - they are our fur babies after all!

Hi Elly,

My girls are due to fly to Melbourne on 15 April and I am using Pet Air as I thought it would be easier as I did not want the worry of organising the dogs and everything else at the same time, we will be driving from Adelaide to Melbourne to collect them!!

Whereabouts are you moving to in Adelaide??

Bal.

Hi,

Hi EllyPage,

Most pet transport companies will have huge buying power with the airlines as they are using them on a daily basis therefore the price you will pay them is not inflated and is normally cheaper than what you can get with the same airline directly. Their knowledge with the local authorities is extremely helpful to ensure a swift process for your pet.

Try www.ipata.org

All the best

• 10 months later...

We are moving out to Gold Coast & my boy flying out April. I decided to go with pet air as there's already so much to do organising human export that I opted for as stress free as possible. He's a really nervous dog & I didn't want to risk making mistakes re paperwork etc. my understanding is that doing it yourself not an easy option re dealing with airlines etc.

being a vet you are at least ahead of the game re knowing paperwork you require so don't need to pay company to do that part which saves you some money. Make life a but easier at a stressful time & use export co.

Any advice re helping nervous dog cope with flight & subsequent quarantine anyone??.

• 9 months later...