A Jar of Italian Tomato Sauce

reutmark

I am visiting Perth in 10 days time for 2 weeks from the UK and can I bring in 2 or 3 small ish jars of Italian produced tomato sauce.Not home made but produced by an Italian company so the jars are fully labelled with the company name and ingredients and has an expiry date on the jar etc Do I need to declare these jars to custome? Will they be allowed in fine? If it will hugely delay me at Perth airport I will not bother taking these 2 or 3 jars so any advice would be most welcome.

I am visiting Perth in 10 days time for 2 weeks from the UK and can I bring in 2 or 3 small ish jars of Italian produced tomato sauce.Not home made but produced by an Italian company so the jars are fully labelled with the company name and ingredients and has an expiry date on the jar etc Do I need to declare these jars to custome? Will they be allowed in fine? If it will hugely delay me at Perth airport I will not bother taking these 2 or 3 jars so any advice would be most welcome.

hope this is usefull,

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/GuideforTravellers-KBYGFinalAccessible.pdf

Assuming I take them in hold luggage and( as I would do) I declare them on the card I fill in does it delay me hugely time wise at Perth airport for them to look at the jars and decide if they will let me in with them ?

These jars would be purchased in the Uk but manufactured in Italy just for information

It won't delay you as much as not declaring them would do, as once you declare them, they will simply look at them and decide yes or no. If you don't declare them and they show up on X-ray examination, your luggage will be searched with a fine tooth comb and then you will be delayed a heck of a long time and have to pay the fine. Tbh, it's pot luck as to how long you are delayed entering, regardless of whether you have goods to declare or not as you could go through with nothing and still be subject to a search, which will delay you.

I fly into Perth every month and often bring things back - including things such as hand made wood. I always declare and i have never had an issue and the hold up has never been more than a minute.

Yep, open and honest does the trick.

We had polished shell jewelry from Tahiti and they didn't even ask to see it as it had been declared on the AQIS form.

I'm also a great believer that if you are a resident or citizen then they trust you more to do the right thing than if you are a tourist. We have never had our bags screened other than when we first arrived in the country.

They may search everything if you take them, there jobs worths and looking for an excuse to fine you to make money. I'm afraid its the Australian way

Yep, Australia takes its border security seriously and if you choose to fill in your AQIS form truthfully then the "jobsworths" will have no reason to fine you for being dishonest.

Edited by abz123