Singapore layover?

Guest Guest 47403

Guest Guest 47403

We have a choice of either 1hr 10min or 6hrs between flights, is 1hr 10 cutting it a bit fine? But what do you do with 3 young uns for the 6 hours in an airport!?

I maybe shouldn't comment since I haven't been but some airports are massive. I'd maybe go for the 6 hours, you could go for a shower, something to eat etc. Then again I don't have kids so I don't realise the hassle lol. I'm sure someone more qualified will be there to answer, I just didn't want to read and run

I have done the 1 hr 10 mins loads of times - no way would I do 6 hours - nightmare stuck in the airport especially with kids. They would not give you that connection time if you couldn't make it - sure there is not much time to wander around shops etc., but there is enough time to get to the next gate. Having said that if you go for the longer time there is an outside swimming pool kids could amuse themselves in - and you of course and an outside bar

Edited by dxboz

We have a choice of either 1hr 10min or 6hrs between flights, is 1hr 10 cutting it a bit fine? But what do you do with 3 young uns for the 6 hours in an airport!?

Go for a swim on the hotel roof or lounge by the pool. Hit the cinema, soft plays, take the sky train and visit one of the gardens....

We usually spend 4 hours in transit there with ease.

Singapore is a wonderful airport, no difficulty spending 6 hours there - you can even do a tour of Singapore if you want to get out the airport or book a transit hotel for a few hours if it falls at a time you'd like a sleep or just a rest and a shower.

http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit/recommended-transfer-experiences

Specifically for kids .... http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit/fun-for-the-kids

My son asks to go!!

But if the airline will book you onto a 1 hour 10 min transit, if there was to be a delay then they would sort it out - I had a delayed flight from Edinburgh to Heathrow with a connecting flight to LA and we were met off the plane, every queue was by-passed and radio contact was kept with the gate staff to keep it open for us - we did pretty much have to run mind and our luggage didn't make it!

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

• 3 weeks later...
I always stay a night or two. Breaks the journey, helps my jet lag and I arrive less frazzled. I take my hat off to all who do these 24 hour trips with kids and no break.

Hi you say you usually spend a couple of nights on a stop over . We were looking to do the same thing and spending two nights in Hong Kong can you tell me if you have to take all your luggage with you to do this or can you leave some of it at the airport somewhere as you are carrying on the journey in a couple of days thanks

Do the 1 hr stop over, they sail you right through and no doubt the second flight may be a little late. if baggage is straight through then you wont have a problem.

I always do that one.

If for whatever reason you dont make it they put you on the next one (6 hours) anyway.

Take the risk, 9 times out of ten its fine.

I would opt for 6 hours ,JUST DONT LET THE KIDS SLEEP whilst off the plane,lol, Singapore is great , there are food outlets ,the sunflower garden, a pool, childrens play area, and quite a few shops.

By the time we got off the plane and walked to where we wanted to be and taking into account the time you spend lining up to get back on the plane ,its not actually a long time especially if you have a sit down meal.

Cal x

Hi you say you usually spend a couple of nights on a stop over . We were looking to do the same thing and spending two nights in Hong Kong can you tell me if you have to take all your luggage with you to do this or can you leave some of it at the airport somewhere as you are carrying on the journey in a couple of days thanks

You have to collect your bags and clear customs, there will most likely be some luggage lockers at the airport but these are not always cheap, best take them to your hotel.

Heaps to do at Singapore airport like snifter says, pool, gardens all in the airport but differing terminals, you will only have your cabin baggage with you as you checked-in bags go staight through. There is also a free city tour but need to check if you need to pre book and if 6 hr is long enough.

If the airline booked you through on the 1.10hr then it should be ok, when we were delayed at heathrow and missed our connecting flight we were well looked after for 8 hours to the next flight, coached to a hotel and back, lunch and dinner at the hotel, a wake-up call to ensure we were up and intime for dinner and the return coach. fantastic service.

I had just over an hour layover this time round and it was fine, in fact I could have done with a little longer as it would've been nice to have a shower and a bit more of a walk around to stretch my legs after the 14 hour London-Singas leg. Last time I was there I spent half an hour or so wandering around the butterfly garden and koi pond (they're tucked round the back but worth finding) and there are plenty of things to do for kids and grown ups. There's a city tour booth in the info centre - think you'd be fine fitting that into a 6 hour layover. A friend of mine always books a long layover, checks into the transit hotel for a few hours kip and a shower and says it makes a huge difference to how "with it" she feels when she arrives in Sydney. So definitely worth thinking about that.

Singapore airport is great for longer stop overs...theres a cinema loads of chill out areas and if you are there more than 4 hrs you can get a free trip into the city...

If this is a standard airline program for connections then I would go with the 1hr one - you dont have to do anything other than get off the plane and get on another and once you are booked in with the airline you are their responsibility. If you like looking at orchids and amazing array of perfume and cameras then, by all means, take the 6 hr option but I'm always in favour of getting it over and done with as quickly as possible. If you are cobbling together your own itinerary with different providers though, then I'd probably go with the 6 hr option.

After visiting Changi airport you would have plenty of things to do for 6 hours as stated above. 1hr 10 is quite a short period of time, considering it'll take you 20-30 mins to get off the plane. If you are running late connecting, chances are they will keep the connecting plane open (this does depend on the delay<20-30mins) but your bags definitely won't make it across and will be put on the next flight and you will need to collect them the next day or two. Travelling with kids, would a day without the suitcases be a big deal or having to head back to the airport again?

Also that is what your going to remember about your trip over. The fact the plane was late and you had to run through Changi! Not a fantastic start!