Mobile Phone contracts

Marksman

Hi all,

My wife and I had our 189 Visa granted last month and we are landing in Perth on 31st May :cool: quaking in our boots with excitement!

I have been looking online at mobile phone contracts and seem to be struggling to find an unlimited data plan. The room we will be initially renting doesn't have internet access and I would imagine we will be heavy Skype users for the foreseeable future so didn't want to get stitched on excessive charges. We would also lean more towards a rolling months contract type of deal.

Is there a provider who offers this or am I just going to have to put my hands deeper in my pocket?

MM

Don't think you will find an unlimited plan here.

Things to consider are where you will be and are you going to be moving around a lot, particularly in more remote locations. If so, Telstra has the best coverage but you will pay a premium for it.

Vodafone is good in metro areas and you can use your included credit to call internationally.

Also consider getting any handsets unlocked before you come over as it will be far cheaper, based on experience.

Other option to look at is a dongle if data is your main requirement - lots of options out there.

Have a look at whistle out.com.au for comparing what the different operators have in terms of plans. Haven't used this site but found it in a google search.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I had done a bit of research on Google and thought I may be missing a trick, but does look like there are no unlimited data plans available at the moment. I have since been monitoring my internet usage to see what sort of plan I should look at. I have also been looking at the portable WiFi hotspots, they also look like a good option.

We all had unlimited data plans back in the UK but as everyone has already confirmed, these plans aren't available here. It's currently costing me a fortune but we will all just have to change our data usage habits and either find free wifi zones or do most data usage at home.

There are many plans available and I'm still struggling to find out which is best. At the moment, the rest of the family are on Vodafone's prepay packages ($35 & $45) and they both give double data for six months (I think). I'm on one of Telstra's pre pay packages as I need coverage as I'm working out in the middle of nowhere and they're the only provider out there.

Thanks. I had done a bit of research on Google and thought I may be missing a trick, but does look like there are no unlimited data plans available at the moment. I have since been monitoring my internet usage to see what sort of plan I should look at. I have also been looking at the portable WiFi hotspots, they also look like a good option.

I'm in Brisbane and there seems to be plenty of wifi hotspots around. All the usual ones, many bars/restaurants and the council have a few around and are looking to increase numbers.

Yeah if everyone was to use mobile broadband on an unlimited capacity then I guess bandwith will be all chewed up in cyberspace..... its only 2014 sheesh! Only in 2000 Dialup for home and GPRS Wap for mobile were the bees knees - Bursts of up to 56kbps... Wooooo

I currently use my mobile phone contract for my internet at home too. Unlimited data package with average speed of 4.5mbps. Just use the phone as a wifi hotspot. Saved quite a bit from having a separate home internet land line. Was thinking along those lines, but looks like I too will have to adjust my data habits.

We will be renting a room off a very nice lady who doesn't have the internet in her house as she has a sim card for her i-Pad (other generic tablet computers are available) rather than a land line internet connection and as we are not entirely sure how long we are going to be living there we didn't want to commit to a land line fixed term contract. I have looked into buying a mobile WiFi hotspot, which I am guessing is just a router which uses a sim card for the connection, of which looks like a good option as we will be able to take that with us if we move.

I will just have to make use of freely available WiFi when I am out and about.