No Air Con in our place

tonyman

sorry if ive been ratty, extra strange or out of order for the last few days but our air con packed in last week,well was squeeking (sort of, bearings ect ) think I`m being conned by the Evap Dr .......$135 to go on the roof per hr ........comes down with my motor , whinging how heavy it was , an now obsolete (emmmmmm) so I opt for it to be repaired ie they probs just spray they bearings with wd40 , they tell me $352 on the phone I sound well peed off next min they say "sorry its $252" ......and you need new pads @$575 ......"erm I don't think so pal , just put my motor back in and I will sort me pads out " ........and he wants another $135 to go back o roof to reinstall .......was a cock sure bloke , loud and tellin me how much it will cost on my front lawn ,I said "do u wanna go inside and talk " I don't like neighbours knowing too much of my business ..........

having no air con in this heat with 5 children is not funny ........we have fans a blowing in all wings but just not good enough .....

Can you hire a couple of standalone units? We never had aircon in our first rental and bought a couple - not brilliant (& noisy) but help a bit.

We never had aircon installed in the house we built and on the odd occasion it got too hot inside we wheeled them out again.

You Tube "How to fix a squeeky air con":laugh:Do you know how old the a/c is Tonyman?

14 yrs tops .........only due to my knees I didn't go back up ..........I did you tube it , in a better frame of mind I would have sorted it but I had little choice ........

You know what they used to do in the old days Tonyman?Wet heavy type material (Old curtains,towels or sheets or whatever)wring them out and hang them up by open doorways,so the breeze (if there was one?)would cool the air as its coming through?

I tried that with a tray full of ice .................

We spent $600 on pads last year.. and stil no cool air start of summer... broken pump apparently, so got that fixed for another $360... now theres cool air..! tip is to drain out water before winter sets otherwise motor or pump can seize up due to salts and other corrossives in the water ...or get a service once a year. I can send out details of who does our service if you want.

Spray yourself with it?:laugh:

That was the suggestion. Didn't realise you needed detailed instructions :wink:

Ripped our evap out out and put reverse cycle in a couple of months after moving in. The heating gets used in the winter more than we use the cooling now - blood has definitely thinned out.

At least it was cooler last night.

We didn't have aircon for the first 17 years we were here and somehow put up with it. I was too tight to shell out but eventually got talked into reverse cycle in the living areas by the missus and a bit of pressure from the eldest.

It's brilliant. Don't really use it loads as we are close enough to the coast to get the sea breeze but when it's really hot with no breeze it's great. We don't have it in the bedrooms but still sleep very well as we are at least cool when we go to bed.

Works really well for heating in the winter too. I guess we wouldn't live in the UK without central heating so it makes sense. Reverse cycle is way better than evaporative.

Guest The Pom Queen

You wuss, we live in the tropical North and hardly have our aircon on now unless I'm not feeling well. I do sit under the ceiling fan though which works wonders. People up here sometimes put their sheets in the freezer before bed. Others have a cold shower then lay on the bed with the ceiling fan on. You could even buy a portable air con unit it would be cheaper.

You wuss, we live in the tropical North and hardly have our aircon on now unless I'm not feeling well. I do sit under the ceiling fan though which works wonders. People up here sometimes put their sheets in the freezer before bed. Others have a cold shower then lay on the bed with the ceiling fan on. You could even buy a portable air con unit it would be cheaper.

I would do that with the sheets in a freezer but would it make the mattress smell over a certain amount of time ? ..I shower 2/3 times per day so that's not an issue even if its for 2 minutes ...........we leave the bedroom ceiling fan on all night , its just during the day and today has took its toll on me ....I cant weld all day in the heat in overalls but I cant chill out at home in it , we have to have the air con ........so I`m no wuss when it comes to working in the heat .......one more sleep then we have air con .....:jiggy: