Airlines

Jackboots

Hello everyone ... Well those that may read this .

can anyone please recommend an airline ? We're wanting to book our jolly's to France and the Uk this year and

there are so many ! I know a lot recommend Emirates , any others ?

Thanks for any replies :)

Edited by Jackboots

It's only really a bus when it's all said and done.

Cheaper flights can be with Royal Brunei or China Southern.

Both have virtually brand new aircraft and the entertainment is the same as any other airline.

The PIL have come out on CS and their only complaint was that the measure of wine was too small.

ETA - And I think RB are a dry airline.

ABBA - Anyone But British Airways (or Qantas for that matter)

Stick with your Asian or Middle Eastern carriers and you can't go far wrong.

Malaysian Airlines is another option or for a really different routing, Air Mauritius could be worth checking out.

Just curious but if France is your destination do you have any issues with in flight films and tv being predominantly French as they assume most passengers are French speakers?

I don't think this is an issue. Most modern IFE systems prompt you for your language on startup...audio is almost certain to be provided in English for most content.

Having flown most international airlines between UK and Australia I would echo comments already made and say avoid Qantas and British Airways at all costs. I personally prefer Singapore Air, Cathay Pacific or Malaysian Air. On my next jaunt across the globe I am trying out Emirates as they seem to be very popular at the moment. Friends have just gone back to UK for a holiday from Sydney via Hong Kong using Virgin and they were quite impressed. Be interested to hear about who you chose and what you thought of them after the trip though.

I am quite a frequent flyer between Australia and Europe and have flown all of the airlines already mentioned . My last trip about 8 weeks ago was Sydney to London via Hong Kong using Virgin Atlantic . The cabin staff on that flight both inbound to London and outbound was beyond expectations , very accommodating in all aspects , however , you won't be fed an awful lot , and if you are a big eater you will go hungry . As for the Middle Eastern carriers , there is nothing to choose between Emirates and Etihad , both give a reasonable service , without being outstanding , be aware of the 3-4-3 seating on the Emirates 777 aircraft , it is very squishy , most other operators are 3-3-3 configuration and are roomier . My overall vote would go to Singapore Airlines , they offer a good quality of service , and good connections in the beautiful Changi Airport , however , if you are flying Economy Class , there is little to choose between all of the carriers . The seats are terribly uncomfortable without exception and the main difference is the overall time it takes to get to your destination . The cheaper airlines tend to have the most inconvenient connections and hence it can take a very long time to get to Europe . If you are looking for a direct service to Paris you will be disappointed , there aren't any ! ... You will have to change flights somewhere enroute .... All the best in your search ..

Dave C

if you are flying Economy Class , there is little to choose between all of the carriers . The seats are terribly uncomfortable without exception and the main difference is the overall time it takes to get to your destination

I think this sums it up pretty well!

I also don't put much weight on 'official' rankings from Skytrax etc...I've flown Malaysian and hated it...and you could book yourself on the allegedly 5* Asiana and find yourself flying on a 777 with ancient IFE system with just a few channels of loop movies. I'd gladly take Qantas over either of these. Hmmm, I think I've contradicted my first statement a bit...lol...but ultimately I'd be weighing up the time to destination vs cost than worrying too much about food etc.

So far we are looking at Emirates to Singapore for 4 days then on to Dubai quick stop then France for a few days then Train to Uk and flying back from Uk to Perth . Phew Numb bum syndrome , hehe :) thank you all for the input .

You will save yourself a bit in taxes if you do this the other way around fly to the UK first then return from France...only if it suits your plans of course.

Money no object definitely Singapore Airlines, second choice Qantas

Budget option with a single carrier I'd opt for KLM - worth paying to upgrade to 'comfort' seats ($150 pp)

The very cheapest option we found was Sri Lankan airlines from KL - we were very satisfied with the level of service.

I would never fly with Emirates again, not even with free 1st class tickets - this is down to personal experiences in Dubai (twice!) - be aware in flying with any middle eastern airline you are flying via the Middle East! Obvious but something we didn't fully consider.

I would never fly with Emirates again, not even with free 1st class tickets - this is down to personal experiences in Dubai (twice!) - be aware in flying with any middle eastern airline you are flying via the Middle East! Obvious but something we didn't fully consider.

I have long been put off flying the Dubai route. Then I read about the more or less slave labour that is still building the place and I can't bring myself to even transit through the airport, let alone have a mini break or holiday there.

So far we are looking at Emirates to Singapore for 4 days then on to Dubai quick stop then France for a few days then Train to Uk and flying back from Uk to Perth . Phew Numb bum syndrome , hehe :) thank you all for the input .

We have to be in the UK at the end for our daughters birthday , we promised her . The grandparents are very excited :)

We have to be in the UK at the end for our daughters birthday , we promised her . The grandparents are very excited :)

You will save yourself a bit in taxes if you do this the other way around fly to the UK first then return from France...only if it suits your plans of course.

Lol , ejit of the year award goes to me !!

I just quoted myself , anyhow we have to be in the UK for the end of our trip as it's our daughters birthday :) family ..

ooh - also, forgot to mention. If it sways your decision at all, Singapore Airlines put up all their luggage allowances in November. In Economy you can now take 30kg's of luggage as standard. Made a huge difference to me when i was heading south for 4 weeks.

The 30kgs is becoming quite common now. You'd also get it on Emirates, Qantas, Malaysian, Etihad and possibly some of the others.