moving back and maybe to Tasmania

libbye

That is exactly what I did in my original post - provided specific links so that the OP can research herself. To a specific location...the "statistics" of which can be very different from the "averages" blithely quoted by people who have no knowledge of the varying demographics of this place.

??? Specific links to factual websites...untouched by me ...or my bias.

If you have additional factual knowledge about the Kingston area which may be relevant to a prospective retiree, please feel free.

The stats are freely available. For every $1 Tasmania earns itself something to the nature of $1 50+ is paid by states like WA to shore up its economy. That's fine but an economy with one third on welfare and another one third serving in some form those needs suggests a not particular healthy state.

Obviously areas differ as everywhere. Just get the facts right. Tasmania is a pretty nice place in many respects to retire there are short comings that should be noted. You do well as a defender to your realm but probably do a greater service giving the entire picture.

Sorry...can't ignore such blatant inaccuracies. No...one third working as government employees..hospitals, police, teachers etc...NOT working administering such payments.

I'm part of that welfare payment statistic - a small part age pension on top of my superannuation income. Not because I am some educationally deprived, low socio economic pauper but because the income levels and superannuation requirements when I was earning were different from today's. Just like so many other retirees in this society.

Interesting that. I've just calculated that I have lived here for a total of 52 years. I have been the victim of petty crime just once in that time - in 1987, in Wynyard...an unsuccessful attempted break in, for which the juvenile offender was charged and convicted.

The only other time in my life I have been a victim of petty crime was....in France. The second night we were there. Our car was broken into and everything stolen. Of course, no one was charged or convicted.

I'm glad I don't live in your statistics. I much prefer living in this city - with the highest number of scientists per capita of any Australian city, ditto the number of artists, ditto the number of bookshops, with the only Australian museum exhibition to be invited to Paris, with a year round program of artistic/heritage/music festivals. Socially and culturally deprived we are not.

One would think Tasmania would be higher on the migrant desirability list then with so much of an artist and cultural scene. Fact being of course is that it has a low intake with a higher percentage of refugees placed there than some other places if memory serves me right. Slowest population growth state in the country. Whatever happened to the Korea Town in Hobart, that was given the green light from the council a year or more back? Young still forced to the mainland in big numbers in order to find a career?

Like I say not a bad place for retirement I'd say, not forgetting certain concerns mentioned. Some may prefer a warmer climate, but that should be evident to those that do embark on a Tassie venture.

The stats are freely available. For every $1 Tasmania earns itself something to the nature of $1 50+ is paid by states like WA to shore up its economy. That's fine but an economy with one third on welfare and another one third serving in some form those needs suggests a not particular healthy state.

Obviously areas differ as everywhere. Just get the facts right. Tasmania is a pretty nice place in many respects to retire there are short comings that should be noted. You do well as a defender to your realm but probably do a greater service giving the entire picture.

My cabbie in Sydney was raging about the welfare state and how the mainland supports the 'WELFARE STATE"

I couldent really disagree

Yes this is a pretty island, but there are huge social, ecomonic,problems here

The cost of living has blown out of all proportion now,housing is only really cheap in areas that are very isolated or not nice places to live.

Some who live here do seem to ignore the problems,or simply live in total denial of the issues

Maybe if the "deniers" faced the issues, and stopped pretending all was wonderful, this place would not be in the mess it is today.

My cabbie in Sydney was raging about the welfare state and how the mainland supports the 'WELFARE STATE"

I couldent really disagree

Yes this is a pretty island, but there are huge social, ecomonic,problems here

The cost of living has blown out of all proportion now,housing is only really cheap in areas that are very isolated or not nice places to live.

Some who live here do seem to ignore the problems,or simply live in total denial of the issues

Maybe if the "deniers" faced the issues, and stopped pretending all was wonderful, this place would not be in the mess it is today.

Some can't see the wood for the trees. The stats are clear in that Tasmania has problems and as such the issues around that should be clearly exposed. The sweeping everything under the mat does a dis service to all concerned, especially those thinking of moving there.

I wasn't going to remark further on the negative side as was fully aware of the response of the Tassie Defence League, having travelled on that ground before. You are very correct of course. The faults should be faced head on in an open and honest way.

The fact that someone has lived close on a lifetime on the island, has in my view little bearing on the matter. It may well result in an inability to point out the short comings as become immune or blind or one eyed in matters parochial.

The matter on hand goes far beyond personal experience and one needs to look at a bigger picture. It matters not that I haven't been to Tasmania. Goodness so many Aussies abroad had poor knowledge of Australia when quizzed it was at times, one would have thought embarrassing for those having so little awareness.

For folk coming from France there are perhaps other considerations as well. Depending on your interests. Cultural availability mentioned would not rate a fraction to what France in general would offer. I don't need to have lived in Tasmania to come to that conclusion either. In France I lived in both city and country side and cultural is a major part of life. The quality of life, the food, fresh produce, local markets, café buzz, the walks, the regions that differ in accent and local produce greatly, the closeness to other nations, there's a lot to consider.

One thing though the French don't tend to be big joiners of clubs and related things so Tasmania would likely win out on that front. More book clubs, bridge clubs, etc. Anyway I note the OP has not returned so no doubt he/she have decided without much of our input on the best course for the rest of their life.

Just nice to know as much of the wider picture as possible has been exposed, which will at the very least entice them to broaden their search rather than just getting a couple of predictable insights from the pro camp or neutral camp as myself.

Of course he would. Sydney cabbies parrot whatever populist slogan is being slung around on the media at the time - especially if parroted by Alan Jones and his ilk.

Most of them would be hard pushed to find Tasmania on a map and would have absolutely no idea about the place.

I've been asked by a Sydney cabbie if I needed a passport to land in Sydney.

I've been told by a Sydney cabbie that I spoke good English, even though I came from Tasmania.

Of course, he wouldn't mention that there are areas of NSW which have far greater reliance on welfare than Tasmania.

So, you haven't noticed people EVERYWHERE in Australia complaining about the cost of living and the cost of housing?

You haven't noticed the daily complaints on PIO about this?

And not just in Australia.

In the last few days on PIO I have seen posters give these very reasons for wanting to leave the UK.

Housing may not be "really cheap" most places here anymore....because prices have been pushed up since 2001 by Mainlanders buying here...but it is still the most affordable in the country.

I have a very good understanding of the real issues in this place - most of which haven't been mentioned in this thread.

But the subject at hand is whether it would be a place worth considering for retirement.

Please note...it was not me who suggested this as a place to retire...it was the OP's family.

It's no skin off my nose. I am very happy here and have a very good retirement - unspoilt by the multitude of problems I am supposed to be suffering from by people who have never been here. There is no other place in Australia I would consider retiring in or to.

Hi everyone

We are brits in our mid 70's who have lived in Victoria, Aus for more than 40 years but for the past 9 years have lived in France. Age has caught up with us but we have not caught up with the way cost of living and properties have spiralled in and around Melbourne hence impossible for us to return there. My youngest daughter is enraptured with Tasmania and says she thinks we would love it. Have never been so am hoping to gather some helpful comments. Have no idea of which areas to start looking on the internet so if I may give a bit of background perhaps someone will help please. Need good medical facilities, access to transport, love the countryside and coast, am into organic veg etc. would like a 2 bed house not appartment with space for husband who paints, and a friendly community. Cafe culture would be a bonus as we've so enjoyed that here. Many thanks

Is it possible that you could make a visit to Tasmania to make up your own mind on whether it is for you?

I can certainly understand why you are considering it as I have lived and worked there in the past. I have friends in Launceston and Devonport, one retired who lives on a small holding, and one a teacher who chose to move from WA for a career advancement. Both absolutely love it and I am currently organising a trip to go visit them.

However many statistics you look at, whatever media reports you read, and views you listen to, it is hard to make a decision about living somewhere unless you have been there and "felt" if it will suit you. Skani has listed some great weblinks to give you general info and there have been other unsubstantiated views that you might or might not wish to take into consideration. But the bottom line is that if your daughter, who would know you both extremely well, thinks that it would suit you, it might be worth having a trip downunder to check if it is indeed the place for you. It is a massive decision to make, and I imagine you have loved being in France otherwise you wouldn't have stayed so long, but being close to family when you get older is so important as well.

Good Luck with the decision.... let us know how you get on?

Some can't see the wood for the trees...........

For folk coming from France there are perhaps other considerations as well.

For heaven's sake. The OP stated she had lived in Australia for 40 years and in France for 9.

She doesn't need to be told by you - or anyone else - the relative advantages or disadvantages of either location.

Go off and solve the problems of Perth. I know there are plenty to be sorted out. I can't imagine how they've coped while you've been away solving the problems of Tasmania.

For heaven's sake. The OP stated she had lived in Australia for 40 years and in France for 9.

She doesn't need to be told by you - or anyone else - the relative advantages or disadvantages of either location.

Go off and solve the problems of Perth. I know there are plenty to be sorted out. I can't imagine how they've coped while you've been away solving the problems of Tasmania.

Ignore him Skani.....

We used to live in Tassie. It is stunningly beautiful but a pretty quiet sort of life which, if that is what you like, will be fine. I missed the shops and social interaction of Victoria when we lived there but then again we lived in the North West which is pretty remote ( 'pretty' is the right word in all senses!) If I were to live there I would look at Hobart because at least it has a few services and good eating places etc. Life is slow paced and you need to get into a group of friends which is not so easy as it is elsewhere. if you already know people there I am sure you will be fine. You will also be fine if you are a church goer or have a particular interest like fishing etc! Could you not look at country Victoria? Cheaper than the city areas- or even outer suburbs perhaps Dandenong ranges or somewhere like Warburton?

For heaven's sake stop being so defensive. Afraid I offer no solutions to the problems of Tasmania, besides the subsidies my substantial taxes paid at one time. You really should acknowledge both sides to the equation.

Besides that nine years is indeed a long time to have been away from what has become rip off Australia. The OP may well wish to look into the changing economics of the country from the time she departed.

I hope you will at some future date find the ability to raise your head from the ground and come to the conclusion there are indeed other angles to living in Tasmania to look at in order to pass on an adequate overall picture of the place. I shall refrain from holding my breath though...

We used to live in Tassie. It is stunningly beautiful but a pretty quiet sort of life which, if that is what you like, will be fine. I missed the shops and social interaction of Victoria when we lived there but then again we lived in the North West which is pretty remote ( 'pretty' is the right word in all senses!) If I were to live there I would look at Hobart because at least it has a few services and good eating places etc. Life is slow paced and you need to get into a group of friends which is not so easy as it is elsewhere. if you already know people there I am sure you will be fine. You will also be fine if you are a church goer or have a particular interest like fishing etc! Could you not look at country Victoria? Cheaper than the city areas- or even outer suburbs perhaps Dandenong ranges or somewhere like Warburton?

Or even the South of WA in places like Albany or Bunbury, or in the Adelaide Hills or Lorne close enough to Melbourne and not too expensive.

Is it possible that you could make a visit to Tasmania to make up your own mind on whether it is for you?

I can certainly understand why you are considering it as I have lived and worked there in the past. I have friends in Launceston and Devonport, one retired who lives on a small holding, and one a teacher who chose to move from WA for a career advancement. Both absolutely love it and I am currently organising a trip to go visit them.

However many statistics you look at, whatever media reports you read, and views you listen to, it is hard to make a decision about living somewhere unless you have been there and "felt" if it will suit you. Skani has listed some great weblinks to give you general info and there have been other unsubstantiated views that you might or might not wish to take into consideration. But the bottom line is that if your daughter, who would know you both extremely well, thinks that it would suit you, it might be worth having a trip downunder to check if it is indeed the place for you. It is a massive decision to make, and I imagine you have loved being in France otherwise you wouldn't have stayed so long, but being close to family when you get older is so important as well.

Good Luck with the decision.... let us know how you get on?

There are plenty of factual, un emotional accounts of the reality to life in Tasmania. I'm sure the OP can seek out the facts herself is requires without a pile of threads supporting my take on things. As I mentioned it certainly has its attractions. Would a daughter necessary be the one to know what is best? I could think of many reasons why may perhaps not be.

Obviously it is better to get a first hand version, but again that only goes so far and at cost. One perhaps should come in winter and view it at its most frigid.

. Life is slow paced and you need to get into a group of friends which is not so easy as it is elsewhere.

I wouldn't say that was true of the Kingston area. Very community minded...lots of retirees and special interest groups and activities....plus easy access to lots going on in Hobart. I lived on the northwest coast for several years (during the 70s and 80s). Kingston is much different from that area then.

I wouldn't say that was true of the Kingston area. Very community minded...lots of retirees and special interest groups and activities....plus easy access to lots going on in Hobart. I lived on the northwest coast for several years (during the 70s and 80s). Kingston is much different from that area then.

Many places can be as such if spent one's life or near enough in that place. Coming from abroad in the age to a new location, that as I understand is not exactly outgoing in character, may well add further hurdles to those already established.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to be too negative but my wife and I moved to Kingston in 2006, bought house, tried to merge with local groups but found that unless you had a teenage nickname from the local footy club or school ground you were tolerated rather than accepted and included. The locals seem rather conservative and parochial.:huh:

Love the climate, place is great when it is green, but found if difficult to find 'casual' eating places with anything but remanufactured food. In a place surrounded by water you get served frozen flathead fillets from Argentina in most but the ubber expensive fine dining establishments.:mad:

The markets have fantastic produce but it seems that when the weather cools the place shuts down.

Anyway .. each to their own opinion I suppose.

We depart Hobart next Wednesday (12th) for London and then on down to Cornwall for good. I am an Aussie but my wife is Welsh and lived in Cornwall for a long and happy time.

I don't have enough years left to see all the British isles has to offer let alone the continent so I have no qualms about the move.

We are taking an extra suitcase full of sunshine to see if we can't change the weather patterns over there.

Best of everything to those that are left behind:animal-cow:

Morning all

It has been really interesting reading all the posts and I do thank people for their contribution. We have decided not to come but instead have made the decision to move but stay in France. We will move from where we are now as we've sold the house anyway and are considering going north where the weather is not nearly as good but possibly more culture as many french towns/villages can be ok during the tourist season but dead in the other months. Moving north gives us access to cheaper properties thus leaving our meagre savings in tact. If we had oodles of money then returning to Aus would be our choice because of the family and as it is it's scary to know we#re going to be going it alone wherever we land in europe. However, c'est la vie has become our attitude.

Good wishes to you all and be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi am sure you're right but decision made and we are staying in France. Prices so low here and no hope of improving some time soon. We could afford nothing even in Tas and rents even too high so we'll make the best of it and hope our family might be able to visit before it's too late!

Oh and one more thing..There is alot more to tasmania than Hobart and Launie where most people seem to gravitate too...I live in NW Tassie and its quiet, beautiful and best of all not many people..

I can't argue with your reasoning ... it just wasn't for us and our misgivings relate to us only.

Great place to be when compared to the rest of Oz. Pity there are so many 'government' employees of all varieties for such a small population

We have been in Cornwall just 2 days now and strangely feel very much at home.

So the old expression of 'to each his/her own' seems quite true

Have a great day in OZ

Moz!