Manchester, UK > Toowoomba > Gold Coast?

VisualTech

Hey PIO.

I want to apologise if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't too sure where to throw it, but I felt it may fit in this one best.

Anyhow, as a little bit of information about myself. I've just turned 19 in December and unfortunately living in Manchester, United Kingdom. I don't really have much here, few friends, a family that pretty much hates each others guts, always being moaned at for the stupidiest of things and being totally unappreciated despite all the money and help I do give people, and I just feel so depressed living here, going no where and just feeling I have no future in this country along with joy and happiness.

It's been a dream of mine to move to Australia for many years now. After reading these forums I found scrolling through Google (Which I must say, are fantastic and there is a lot of good staff and members here, so thanks!), videos, TV programmes and over success stories of people living Down Under, you know, it just makes me even more enthusiastic about making the big move and making something of my life. There is too little time on this Earth, and life can be so unpredictable and cruel, so I want to make the most of it that I can. You could say, in the end what you do in life means nothing, which I would say is true, but whilst you're alive embrace it and enjoy it, you've just gotta stay positive at times which I always try to do!

And now to stop waffle'ing on about non-important stuff.. :-p

As you can probably tell by now, I'm more enthusiastic than ever and determined to move, and this is why I've decided to join up to this forum now and post this. I am looking to, as soon as possible book a flight there from Manchester to Toowoomba. I am extremely lucky and have the opportunity to stay at some friends house over there who I met Online years ago and know quite well now, providing I help pay towards the rent, and general bills, which is understandable and I am totally fine doing so! This is just for a couple of months to 'get settled' to some extent, because this is a cheaper and much more easier option to then find a job and a house share in the Gold Coast (Unless anyone can recommend somewhere better, do have my heart set there though!) when I'm in the same country than trying to do everything from over here in the UK.

Few questions...

Does anyone have an Airline Recommendation? I want to keep costs as low as possible. I did see some for 750, they was RT though which of course I do not want. They was a lot longer flights and stop over times, which honestly is fine by me, I don't mind longer waiting times if I can save money by not wanting to get there instantly.

The best VISA option for me, including costs, ETA processing time, ect ect. I'm thinking a working Visa? Which entitles me to 6 months of 'living' there providing I do the minimum of 6 Months work too, then as far as I'm aware I can apply for another year whilst still in Australia.

How much should I have before I prepare everything? Of course I know about standard living costs.

PS - Would anybody be interested in me making a diary, of such, of my journey across the World, with highlights and difficulties of making the big move? I will be making a personal one just for my own reference, but if anybody cares to actually see it I would be more than happy to make a thread and update it every few days.

I'm really tired at the moment since it is 4:03 AM GMT, so will post more questions as I think of them in the morning. However, thank you in advance to everyone who reads and takes the time to help me out, offers advice, ect ect, I appreciate it a lot more than these words can show. Take care!

To get to Toowoomba your best bet would be to get a flight to Brisbane and then drive, or get your mate to pick you up. I don't think Toowoomba has an international airport. You might find it a bit quite after Manchester. It's a couple of hours drive inland and there's not a lot going on in Toowoomba. I was there a few weeks ago and had to stay over the weekend. I wasn't working at the weekend and every time I've had to stay over I've moved to the Gold Coast or Brisbane for the weekend, I wouldn't stay in Toowoomba as there just isn't much to do, other than eat and drink too much. They have a decent leisure centre with a 50m outdoor pool which is OK.

The Gold Coast, on the other hand, has plenty going on. At 19 you should love it. The best visa would probably be the WHV, as you say. Hopefully you can score some work in the Gold Coast and see some of Aus while your here. It's a massive country with several different timezones and climates. Hope you make it over and have a good time. Worlds your oyster.

Just a bit more info on the WHV... I'm not sure if it's just how you worded it, or perhaps you don't fully understand how it works but I'll add this anyway just so you're sure.

A WHV will allow you to work for up to 6 months with each employer, so no more than 6 months in each job (no minimum requirement).

However to qualify for a 2nd year you will need to meet the rural/agricultural work requirements for 3 months (which all has to be legit and documented correctly)

Best of luck!

Just a bit more info on the WHV... I'm not sure if it's just how you worded it, or perhaps you don't fully understand how it works but I'll add this anyway just so you're sure.

A WHV will allow you to work for up to 6 months with each employer, so no more than 6 months in each job (no minimum requirement).

However to qualify for a 2nd year you will need to meet the rural/agricultural work requirements for 3 months (which all has to be legit and documented correctly)

Best of luck!

Hi, firstly, your name.. hilarious!:)

Thanks for your reply too, I actually wasn't aware of that so thanks for pointing it out to me.

I certainly got confused! So as long as I work for 3 months, I would be able to apply for a 2nd year Visa - or am I totally of it again?

I would hope I'm working for at least 8 - 9 Months, so I could even get a job in Toowoomba for a month or two, then get one down the Gold Coast.

How would I meet this rural/agricultural work requirement exactly? And of course, I want to do everything legitimately - don't want to screw my chances!

Thank you again.

Hi, firstly, your name.. hilarious!:)

Thanks for your reply too, I actually wasn't aware of that so thanks for pointing it out to me.

I certainly got confused! So as long as I work for 3 months, I would be able to apply for a 2nd year Visa - or am I totally of it again?

I would hope I'm working for at least 8 - 9 Months, so I could even get a job in Toowoomba for a month or two, then get one down the Gold Coast.

How would I meet this rural/agricultural work requirement exactly? And of course, I want to do everything legitimately - don't want to screw my chances!

Thank you again.

Please take a look in our WHV section as it has lots of info on the 3 months regional work. It has to be specific kinds of work and only applies in certain areas/states. Just working any job for 3 months won't cut it. If it's not on the regional work list etc then it's of no use.

Please be aware the WHV is a temp visa and chances are you won't get to remain in Aus living after it ends.

But if you want to see some of Aus, get a feel for it, it's a great visa. Make the most of it. If you want to then migrate to Aus permanently you'll need to look at other visa types like a skilled visa but you will need a skill on the wanted list and experience etc. Aus are pretty strict on it all.

It would probably be a good idea to visit the official website, from memory its immi.gov.au but if not I'm sure someone else will be along to help!

Once you're there find your visa (417 I think) and have a good read through it. Spending even an hour doing that should help you to avoid any problems where your 2nd year is concerned.

And I think it's called regional work officially, my first thought always goes to fruit picking but I think there are a variety of types of work available. The employer will need to be able to sign off a 2nd year WHV, but for those who do this already I'm sure it will be quite straightforward.

So to summarise, work as little or as often as you like, for no longer than 6 months at a time and make sure 3 months of it meets the criteria of regional work required for 2nd year (more info on official website)

Phew!

And you can never have too many shoes :D

Guest The Pom Queen
get a 1 way to Bangkok or KL, then from there use air asia to fly yourself to the GC.

depending on dates, you can get to Oz for around 450gbp. Its how I got here.

LDN>BKK (few days holiday there) >GC

Good tip tingtong, another way is if you can get a cheap flight to Singapore then look at Scoot, tiger or jetstar for Singapore to Brissy or Gold Coast

Guest The Pom Queen

PS - Would anybody be interested in me making a diary, of such, of my journey across the World, with highlights and difficulties of making the big move? I will be making a personal one just for my own reference, but if anybody cares to actually see it I would be more than happy to make a thread and update it every few days.

Would love you to, Tingtongman has a thread on here doing similar and it has proved invaluable to a lot of members.