Youth workers / drug and alcohol workers

rach01484

Hi all

i would be very interested in replies too! Having recently arrived from Oldham, Lancashire where i gave up a full time post as a very experienced detached youth worker... Im struggling to find work! I have applied for around 10 jobs so far bearing in mind we have only been here 3 weeks and so far have had 2 rejection emails for casual posts with apparently over 140 applicants! One i was shortlisted but didn't get through to interview! My next step is to do some volunteer work to hopefully get a foot in the door! Any advice to whatI'm doing wrong would be appreciated! Thanks

If you don't have a professional qualification in Nursing or Social Work for example, the pay in drug & alcohol services isn't great - around 45-60k I would say. However many services will be not for profit which carry salary packaging benefits which bumps up your take home pay. I worked in prison drug & alcohol in the UK and would not return to that work here as the pay is so low. I'm sure mos employees would ask for an Aussie qualification too.

• 1 month later...

Between 40-55k in general I'd say. That's what we are looking at anyway, hubs us a youth/community worker and will be on a significantly higher wage in Oz than he is currently on here in UK...even though that Ozzy salary is classed as low, for Oz.

Hi all

i would be very interested in replies too! Having recently arrived from Oldham, Lancashire where i gave up a full time post as a very experienced detached youth worker... Im struggling to find work! I have applied for around 10 jobs so far bearing in mind we have only been here 3 weeks and so far have had 2 rejection emails for casual posts with apparently over 140 applicants! One i was shortlisted but didn't get through to interview! My next step is to do some volunteer work to hopefully get a foot in the door! Any advice to whatI'm doing wrong would be appreciated! Thanks

Hi shazlou

I just wanted to day hi as I am from oldham too

We live in vic and I am a social worker

How is the job hunting going?? What area have you moved too??

Lou

• 5 months later...

Have no idea about SA..however Sydney you would be looking for a wage around 50k$ ...not great?? Look at charity work/not for profit organisations..

i worked with an experienced manager working with youths in London...it was fair to say he missed London and maybe just maybe he could have tried harder in finding a job in Sydney..but he found most jobs he wanted, had to have a social worker qual..he moved back to the UK. He couldn't get a job in his field in Sydney.

Edited by Wellers and Whitehead

• 4 months later...

Likewise I'm interested in this thread. My experience is assertive outreach work in mental health/homelessness and addictions. I do have the relevant SVQ 111 qualification which I believe I will need to get it recognised for Aus work purposes????? Not sure how to do that yet but any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Lorraine

I'd say to anyone in the initial stages to contact a registered migration agent....a good one is worth their weight in gold and will know every possible avenue.

There are a couple of occupational titles available for those in the youth and community sector. It's deciding which is most agreeable to your skills and experience.... And also which is of more benefit visa/meeting sol /cool wise x