Adelaide's Crime Suburbs

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

ADELAIDE'S northern suburbs are the state's assault hotspot with an exclusive analysis of Australia's crime statistics show the scourge of violence is spreading further and faster into our suburbs.

While police look for ways to tackle alcohol-fuelled 'coward punches', new analysis of crime statistics reveal the local service area of Elizabeth, which also covers Salisbury and Blakeview, had 2805 reported cases of assaults last year - putting it ahead of Far North Queensland, Melbourne and Brisbane as the nation's fourth most violent location.

While Elizabeth reported a decline in assaults from 2012, the Eastern Adelaide police district incorporating Adelaide and its 531 licensed premises has become increasingly violent with a jump in assaults of 5.2 per cent since 2003.

It is now the state's second most dangerous region and 13th nationally with 2095 assaults.

Sturt is also on the rise with a 7.8 per cent increase in assaults - 1762 last year.

Holden Hill increased by 3.6 per cent to 1923.

Statistics from the South Australia Police show that 59.9 per cent of assaults involved alcohol in the Adelaide CBD, increasing to 80.6 per cent along Hindley Street.

"It is now also well understood that many factors, such as seasonal influences with more offending of some types occurring in warmer months, targeted policing operations, or legislative and government policy changes can influence offending patterns," said a spokesperson for South Australia Police.

But the biggest toll of alcohol can be seen in hospitals.

Police say 43,000 South Australians are the victims of alcohol-related assault each year.

SOUTH AUSTRALIAN ASSAULT HOTSPOTS (By Police Districts)

Elizabeth: 2805

Eastern Adelaide: 2095

Holden Hill: 1923

Sturt: 1762

Western Adelaide 1756

South Coast 1427

Eyre and West 834

Murray Mallee 777

Hills Fleurieu 522

Barossa 411

Wow, that's very interesting to read. We are hoping to move to Adelaide and were about to begin searching which part would be best for us. We are a family of 4, 2 children 6 and 8 years. We are looking for somewhere with good state schools and a safe area to enjoy the outdoors. Does anyone have any suggestions to help narrow down our search or warnings where best to avoid.

ADELAIDE'S northern suburbs are the state's assault hotspot with an exclusive analysis of Australia's crime statistics show the scourge of violence is spreading further and faster into our suburbs.

While police look for ways to tackle alcohol-fuelled 'coward punches', new analysis of crime statistics reveal the local service area of Elizabeth, which also covers Salisbury and Blakeview, had 2805 reported cases of assaults last year - putting it ahead of Far North Queensland, Melbourne and Brisbane as the nation's fourth most violent location.

While Elizabeth reported a decline in assaults from 2012, the Eastern Adelaide police district incorporating Adelaide and its 531 licensed premises has become increasingly violent with a jump in assaults of 5.2 per cent since 2003.

It is now the state's second most dangerous region and 13th nationally with 2095 assaults.

Sturt is also on the rise with a 7.8 per cent increase in assaults - 1762 last year.

Holden Hill increased by 3.6 per cent to 1923.

Statistics from the South Australia Police show that 59.9 per cent of assaults involved alcohol in the Adelaide CBD, increasing to 80.6 per cent along Hindley Street.

"It is now also well understood that many factors, such as seasonal influences with more offending of some types occurring in warmer months, targeted policing operations, or legislative and government policy changes can influence offending patterns," said a spokesperson for South Australia Police.

But the biggest toll of alcohol can be seen in hospitals.

Police say 43,000 South Australians are the victims of alcohol-related assault each year.

SOUTH AUSTRALIAN ASSAULT HOTSPOTS (By Police Districts)

Elizabeth: 2805

Eastern Adelaide: 2095

Holden Hill: 1923

Sturt: 1762

Western Adelaide 1756

South Coast 1427

Eyre and West 834

Murray Mallee 777

Hills Fleurieu 522

Barossa 411

The usual alarmist headlines! Yes if you are in or around a night club, or along Hindley street etc at 3am in the morning you may well see a fight - but that is the case in most cities around the world. However if you are joe average just wanting a quiet, normal, family life then IMHO Adelaide is an incredibly safe place to live. We have just moved to the Southern Suburbs (Christies, Noarlunga) and consider it to be a wonderful area to bring up kids etc but even here there are areas you may not walk along at night, but as I never would, why worry??

NWM

Some of those area's don't surprise me.Started married life in one of the "better"burbs of Elizabeth (only place we could afford to buy at that time many moons ago and we only stuck it out for 3 yrs).I've lived in a few of the burbs of Adelaide during my life,and I can honestly say I would'nt feel safe walking around any of the area's I've lived at night especially.Disappointing to see the crime rates (Assaults)rising.

Hells teeth!

The Eastern suburbs? They are considered to be the dress circle areas of Adelaide!

Twinset/pearls/ and GBH!

The area also includes the CBD, where I suspect most of the incidents happen. You here a lot about things happening in town but very little in the rest of the eastern suburbs.

Wow, that's very interesting to read. We are hoping to move to Adelaide and were about to begin searching which part would be best for us. We are a family of 4, 2 children 6 and 8 years. We are looking for somewhere with good state schools and a safe area to enjoy the outdoors. Does anyone have any suggestions to help narrow down our search or warnings where best to avoid.

Don't be concerned. I lived in Adelaide for nearly 37 years. The UK is my preference, but Adelaide has some great areas to settle down with the family.

Of course there is crime and breakins, if there were none you would be in Paradise; not any place on this Earth!

Please don't be concerned with these stats, as NicF has said it is likely that this is closer to the City.

The 'burbs are like anywhere else-good and bad.

It is a nervous time I'm sure, but you will find somewhere nice-it's a big place!

I never found London so bad though considering the population to little Adelaide, how would you? Too many bored youths I expect.

I love London for different reasons to why I love Adelaide. Growing up in London, I got used to the big yellow signs requesting for witnesses to crimes etc. I didn't feel unsafe despite them.

• 4 weeks later...
Is the crime rates rising due to longer opening hours of licensed premises though?Maybe they should enforce some curfews?Won't stop all alcohol/drug related crimes,but it might help cut them?

Already have lockouts after 3am. Venues can stay open but people cannot be admitted or re admitted after 3am. I've seen the odd story that suggests it's working but no actual figures yet. Still early days though.