What to ship, what not to??

Broady

If you are sending a container I would say ship everything and throw what you don't need once you are there.... If you are only shipping personnel items i.e. Clothes pictures etc.... I would send a move cube.... We sent a move cube last week with seven seas and it is surprising what will fit in them.... They are very professional from start to finish....

Depends on how old and how big the TV is. Rooms tend to be bigger here and so do TV's. A 50inch doesn't look that big here and they are getting cheaper all the time. Might be a good time to upgrade. Not sure whether the bed would be worth it too. If you have room in the container though then bring it. One of the things I wished we'd brought were bikes. I gave ours away before we moved and went out and bought a second hand one here very quick. Lots of bike paths, even round the City and you see a lot more on a bike than you do in a car.

We didnt bring any furniture or electrical goods and if i could turn the clock i wouldnt really change that other than maybe bring my Tumble Dryer as it was nearly new. None of our furniture would have 'fit' right here and we liked being able to go and get what we wanted when we needed it rather than waiting on a container with all our gear in.

Super A mart are not bad priced and have decent quality stuff then there is Ikea and Fantastic furniture for cheaper stuff. If your taking a container and your stuff is in great condition then maybe bring the bigger stuff but you may have problems with electrical stuff thats under warranty if it breaks down as they dont seem to recognise UK warrantys here.

Cal x

I think it depends on how you feel about the stuff you have and how much time, effort and cash you want to put in to replacing it. We had some really nice (and quite expensive) pieces of furniture that we spent time finding in the first place that I really wouldn't have wanted to leave behind. The kids stuff, while mainly cheap and home made furniture, was familiar to them and bringing it meant they had familiar stuff around them which helped them settle. To be honest it never even crossed my mind to not just bring everything we could fit in a container, including the dishwasher that is still sat in the wrapping 18 months later. I couldn't face the idea of spending ages shopping for all new stuff, especially as my OH had a job to come to and we only had one car so everything would have had to be done on the weekends. And the kids hate furniture and appliance shopping. Replacing anything unnecessarily would have been my idea of hell.

Having said that though, we were able to stay at my mums for a few weeks before moving over and then at my OHs mums when we got here until our container arrived and we could move in to our rental with all our stuff. We were never in the position of having to camp out in an empty rental with the minimum of stuff. I may have felt differently if we had.

Everything is worth bringing if you want it here. Everything will work and everything will be useful, if you want to bring it. The only things you definitely should not bring are the things that are banned by AQIS. Really it is personal choice as to whether you bring everything, nothing except a suitcase, or something inbetween. What I wouldn't do though is buy anything new just to bring with you. If you need new wait until you get here and buy it here.

i am planning on a move cube only as not alot of stuff but going to bring higher priced items , 2 kingsize beds and mattresses , wash machine , tumble dryer , hubbys tools , box photos , box of sentimental bits , 2 x kids boxes , 2 x tvs , 1x bike ... 4 x cases clothes, hoping will all fit in a large movecube

leaving sofas and other furniture , going to sell and buy new when arrive in oz , most due to be replaced and not sure would look nice in new rental anyways

• 1 month later...

Bring everything! And I mean everything. Until you are earning dollars you will find the cost of living high. Once you are earning dollars and spending dollars you won't notice much difference from the uk (in my opinion). And especially bring extension bars. Aus houses have very few plug sockets