Sky TV?

srg73

Hi, we are in the process of a move to Adelaide and can see one little thing we would miss. We are big formula 1 fans and love the coverage provided by Sky in the UK, it helps that we have met most of the crew a few times and feel a loyalty to them.

Question is whether there is any way we could get Sky in Aus even if only using Sky Go through the internet and setting up a relative with Sky in the UK? Next question given the time differences is how it can be recorded to watch at a more sociable time?

Thanks

Edited by srg73

i guess you could get sky-go to work out here, have a relative in the uk with sky give you the details.

you will probably need to set up a proxy server, as sky will likely lock the sky-go to the uk.

with a proxy you can also get bbc iplayer etc.

all in all it will be a little more awkward, but i'm pretty sure you could make it happen.

You will need to setup a VPN service on your PC/Latptop so you can switch your IP address to a UK one

Then as you have suggested use Skygo with someones UK account to log in or youre own account if you want to keep it up

Bit of setting up involved but thats someone i know does do to watch Heineken Cup Rugby :biggrin:

It's on free to air in the UK too on the BBC I think. OP must prefer the coverage with ad breaks.

No I just prefer good coverage rather than part time and run by people who have little passion about the sport. My wife also likes the free practice and the build up and background shows all of which BBC do not even think about covering!

Thanks for the info people, will look into a VPN link or off shore proxy server......wow actually sounds like I know what I'm talking about......but I don't! Sorting out the IT hopefully should be less expensive than going to the actual races although Singapore, Australia and Chinaare great races to visit.

S

If you use Firefox or Chrome then just download the addon Hola, it will detect the original country and then set it's self to appear to be in that country so you can watch iplayer, itvplayer and all the other uk ones as well as all the usa channels such as Hulu and fox etc. i've been using it for months with no problems. http://www.hola.org

If I was you, the cheapest way to get set up would be:

Hola's OK but has loads of problems, can't be relied on but free.

Get a DNS service (not VPN - performance is bad as UK is too far away for a reliable VPN service). That's unotelly, unblock-us or overplay service. About 12 bucks a quarter isn't expensive.

This will get access to BBC iplayer, ITV player, Filmon, 4od (about 20 UK channels streamed). Will also give access to Netflix if you want it and will ensure that ipads, phones can all stream also. I use a PS3, laptop, ipad and mobile using this method.

It's easy to get most things with the above method - although live sport remains the one area where streaming isn't great.

Sky Now TV box (gives you the option of paying 10 quid for 24 hours of Sky sports streaming). Bring one with you and use it with a DNS service. If you have a relative with Sky in the Uk, ask for their Sky Go credentials and use it with unotelly or other DNS.

Foxtel is nowhere as good as Sky, big setup costs (although the premier league coverage is better than the UK).

Edited by markb28

Good advice.

Although, just out of curiosity, why do you say Sky is better than Foxtel? It's that long since I've watched Sky, I don't recall it being any different. They are both garbage to be fair. I pretty much watch the same on Foxtel here that I watched on Sky in the UK (football, rugby, history, discovery, repeats of blackadder/father ted/fawlty towers etc.).

Before Hola i used Astrill.com vpn for a few years and had no issue with speed plus you get access to 30 plus countrys all for 40 bucks a quarter but like i say Hola is the one for me because its free :P you could also try http://www.vpnbook.com/freevpn but you only get access to the UK, USA and a few european countrys. i use vpnbook for channel5 in the UK because for some reason Hola won't unblock it.

Edited by b14ck

Good advice.

Although, just out of curiosity, why do you say Sky is better than Foxtel? It's that long since I've watched Sky, I don't recall it being any different. They are both garbage to be fair. I pretty much watch the same on Foxtel here that I watched on Sky in the UK (football, rugby, history, discovery, repeats of blackadder/father ted/fawlty towers etc.).

Sky is expensive but to be fair it has improved no end in the past five-ten years where as the 'normal' TV has become a lot worse - that has lost a lot of its sport to pay TV (Sky/BT etc) shows no end of repeats, cheap dumb downed shows and so on. Not as bad as Aussie 'ordinary' digital TV but getting there, fast!

Sky now so a lot of very good new home produced drama and comedy, and, yes their F1 coverage is excellent. Almost 300 channels on Sky in the UK now!

(But I wouldn't miss it that much if and when we make the move to Oz!)

Yeah, I mean, TV-wise, I don’t see much difference. And I’m not defending Foxtel here, it’s fairly dung. But, as a football and rugby fan, Foxtel is much better as I can watch every game, can’t do that on Sky. In terms of Sky produced programs, I’ve watched Idiot Abroad and the new Red Dwarf series over here on Foxtel, can’t think of any others. Only other stuff I watch is docos and repeats a la UK Gold, which I what I spent most time watching on Sky.

You are right about a set-up charge for Foxtel though. Also, my brother gets really good, cheap broadband through his Sky box, don’t get that here, and broadband is very expensive across the board.

As for terrestrial TV, it’s garbage here but, realistically, I had given up on it in the UK as well. Looked at the BBC’s upcoming Xmas schedule the other day and it looks crap.

Guest littlesarah

Just be pleased if you can get broadband - my only option is mobile internet, which is too slow & too pricey to support TV etc. Wouldn't mind if I lived somewhere rural or remote, but I don't! Still, we should get the NBN sometime in the next 20 years...

My connection is OK, nothing more that that. And for $70 a month, crap value really. I'm not a massive downloader so it's not a huge issue. If I was, I'd be in trouble.

yeah the Broadband speed and reliability over here in Oz is shocking, it reminds me of when the UK first got broadband and they had loads of teething trouble... the thing is now Broadband is fifteen to twenty years old you'd think Australia would be able to supply a good cheap service but alas it cannot.

• 2 months later...