Is there anybody familiar with 'Fingal?"

MARYROSE02

My Masonic mate Kurt, has seen two old Masonic temple/halls for sale, one in Fingal, the other somewhere else in Tassie, for sale at a fraction of the cost of something similar in Sydney, of course.

I Googled it last night, looked like a nice place to have a holiday, maybe a cycling holiday. (I really MUST go to Tassie!) The pub looked OK too (has the largest collection of single malts in Australia? Did I read that too?)

I like the idea of living in a small place again myself, quite miss my village in Hampshire - Marchwood - but it has all the facilities you need, pubs, shops, chemist, doctor, dentist, bus to Southampton, where the nearest big hospital located. That is what I would be looking for in any place I considered moving to.

I was speaking to an old guy today, in a cafe. He told me he came from Eugowra, in NSW of course! I needed to remind myself to Google that later.

Fingal would be much more isolated than your village in Hampshire. It's been a long time since I've been there but I very much doubt it would have chemist, doctor or dentist - I think you might have to go to either Launceston or St. Helens (on the coast) to find those. It can also get very cold at night...it gets a frequent mention on the nightly weather bulletins for its low overnight temperature.

I'm not going there, but Kurt is talking about it. I remember talking to a bloke in Penrith (NSW) a couple of months back, who told me he'd driven down to Melbourne with his caravan and gone over to Tassie. Next time, he was going in the summer!

If I do go for a holiday, though, I'm going to Fingal, if only to have a drink in the pub!

IHB-DSC00376-Large-150x150.jpg[h=3]Iron House Brewery[/h]Our handcrafted brews are made to traditional recipes from quality ingredients and Tasmanian water, sourced from our own spring. Our brews are refreshingly unpasteurised and have no preservatives or additives.

We are located at White Sands Estate, Ironhouse Point (the first house with an iron roof was situated on this coastal point on the beautiful East Coast). The landmark is synonymous with farming, fishing, beach holidays and surfing.

Address: 21554 Tasman Highway

Phone: (03) 6372 2228 Email:

• 6 months later...

MaryRose02,

Did your friend ever end up in Fingal? Its a pretty small place, with one single main road. It has a few attractions, library, bottle shop, pub etc but it isn't a big village like you expected. Fingal in my experience tends to be a through route for somewhere else, even though it is picturesque around there. It is pretty isolated from major locations and is a LONG way from a real 'city' (even anything close to what you'd get from a UK city).

Hockayak - http://www.abritintas.blogspot.com.au