transporting pets to australia

Guest chris b

Guest chris b

can anybody help quickly please

we have just received several quotes for transporting our 3 cats and 2 dogs to australia and too be honest they are v. expensive.

is there anybody out there who has done all the work themselves if so please get in touch cos i need to pick your brains.

yours hoping

chris b

• 3 years later...
Guest jojaks

Hiya

We are in same boat , we have a short nosed dog (American bulldog) because of his size we have been quoted £5500 , The only air line that will take him is Cathay Pacific . I rang them , you can apparently do all the work your self but on ballance by the time you have done all the paper work (lots) and bought the crate and transported the dog to the air port you have spent loads anyway!! I think personaly that we will just bite the bullet and use a good company to get him down there. The other problem is the only quarantine in Aus that will accept him is in Sydney ( not where we want to be ) . Please let me know how you get on and if i get any luck ill pass on the details to you

can anybody help quickly please

we have just received several quotes for transporting our 3 cats and 2 dogs to australia and too be honest they are v. expensive.

is there anybody out there who has done all the work themselves if so please get in touch cos i need to pick your brains.

yours hoping

chris b

research where you are headin a lot of the councils have strict criteria about how many pets you can have and as for rentals

Going back a few years (late 2004 in fact), I brought my then 5 year old cat with me. Most people thought I was mad back then as the cost was £550.00 flying to Perth ex Heathrow with Singapore airlines, followed by just short of $900 for quarantine at Byford in Perth. Then there was the additional vet bill whilst at Byford when she refused to eat anything at all for the first 2 weeks of her stay. And then of course all the vet bills making sure that vaccinations and paperwork are correct before she could fly here.

I did everything myself, didn't want to spend the extra paying for a third party to fill out paperwork I figured I was capable of doing! If I were to go back, I'd just pay someone and have done with it...

However, despite the headaches and the cost, I wouldn't change it for the world. Amelia being here actually helped me settle in. The day I collected her from quarantine, I straight away felt more at home :smile: She was a rescue cat from the RSPCA, and I'm of the belief that if you take on an animal, that it's for life, no matter what you do or where you go. If I hadn't been able to afford to get Amelia here, I wouldn't have moved. Simple. But that's just me!

Quarantine will allow you to have 2 cats together in one enclosure which would help reduce the cost, check with them to find out whether all three could bunk together. Not sure about dogs, so that's worth an ask.

If you do move here with pets, do note it's near impossible to find a rental property that will accept them. Also keep in mind the waiting lists to get them into quarantine - it could be that you have to have someone look after them for you if you have to leave before they do. That person would need to be responsible for making sure they had their last batch of shots and ensuring the made it to their flight in time :wink:

Honestly, it's worth bringing them. Good luck with getting them here!

Katy

Guest juliemtaylor

My 2 cats aged 13 came over in January, and are doing really well. We have to keep them in as there is a 24hr cat curfew here in Vic. The flights, collection etc cost 1900 pounds to Oz and then $1900 dollars quarantine. We flew them with Petair Uk who did everything for us.

Julie x

My 2 cats aged 13 came over in January, and are doing really well. We have to keep them in as there is a 24hr cat curfew here in Vic. The flights, collection etc cost 1900 pounds to Oz and then $1900 dollars quarantine. We flew them with Petair Uk who did everything for us.

Julie x

Oh my goodness Julie, a 24 hour cat curfew? That's awful! :eek: We're hoping to move over to Vic from WA later this year, my Pommie Persian Amelia is a house cat and would cope very well, but my other (a giant orange cat I rehomed not long after I arrived in Oz) would absolutely not cope. He's bad enough when we have to keep him in overnight... Is that the whole of Vic, or just certain areas?

As someone else mentioned, you will need the check the restrictions on pet ownership in the council area you are heading to. Our council will allow only 2 dogs and 2 cats. Some are stricter and some impose night curfews or even 24 hour curfews on cats.

I am sure you will find a rental somewhere, but it's not going to be easy with so many pets. If the owner has the choice between you and someone else with no pets, he will most likely go for the person without pets.

Good luck

Love

Rudi

x

Guest juliemtaylor
Oh my goodness Julie, a 24 hour cat curfew? That's awful! :eek: We're hoping to move over to Vic from WA later this year, my Pommie Persian Amelia is a house cat and would cope very well, but my other (a giant orange cat I rehomed not long after I arrived in Oz) would absolutely not cope. He's bad enough when we have to keep him in overnight... Is that the whole of Vic, or just certain areas?

Not the whole of Vic I think, just certain areas. Have a look at the council websites for the areas you are looking at.

Julie x

Guest jamieglaister
Not the whole of Vic I think, just certain areas. Have a look at the council websites for the areas you are looking at.

Julie x

Indeed, It is definitely specific to local councils - for example we live within Banyule Council territory (North East Melb) and there is no formal curfew at all. Previously, In Manningham I think it was night-time only. Check with the councils where you envisage living.

Archived