NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

I have attained in-principle registration from AHPRA and am due to arrive in Sydney in a few weeks, presenting my identity docs etc to AHPRA to complete my registration

Does anyone know who can witness my statutory declarations in NSW as my COGS and ICHC will have expired by the time I arrive; can it only be a lawyer?

Many thanks in advance! Rosie x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

I have moved all the sticky threads for nurses in to this one thread including AHPRA ready for the move to the new forum software.

Hi I am new to this forum and would be grateful for any guidance on processing times at the moment for ANMAC and AHPRA? ANMAC submitted 3/2/17 and AHPRA 24/02/17 also done my fit2work check, IELTS 8s, transcripts, reg all sent a few weeks before ANMAC and AHPRA submission so should already be received.

Hi I am new to this forum and would be grateful for any guidance on processing times at the moment for ANMAC and AHPRA? ANMAC submitted 3/2/17 and AHPRA 24/02/17 also done my fit2work check, IELTS 8s, transcripts, reg all sent a few weeks before ANMAC and AHPRA submission so should already be received.

Hey. I submitted my AHPRA in September, got "in Principle" 3 months later. I presented to an AHPRA office to finalise the application, and received confirmation 2 weeks from that. Hth.

Thank you for your reply, hopefully will have some info soon and hope we can progress to EOI and 189!! Good luck with your 189!!

Just checking that you know once you have the 'in principle' registration from AHPRA you now only have three months in total to present yourself in person.

Just checking that you know once you have the 'in principle' registration from AHPRA you now only have three months in total to present yourself in person.

thanks, yeah I know, I will most likely have to travel over to do this prior to our move.

Hey. I submitted my AHPRA in September, got "in Principle" 3 months later. I presented to an AHPRA office to finalise the application, and received confirmation 2 weeks from that. Hth.

Hi

did you need to fill in a deceleration form for cogs or police check? If so who did you get to witness on these forms.

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, are there any U.K. Trained RGNs who did the 1982 first level general nurse training course. Do you have a copy of the Course syllabus? APHRA are requesting this for me to register even though I've provided my transcript details the modules and also transcript for bachelors, masters and PhD degrees. Without the syllabus Om over 20 years ago I may be deemed not eligible!

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2017 at 0:48 AM, Strictlykaren said:

Hi, are there any U.K. Trained RGNs who did the 1982 first level general nurse training course. Do you have a copy of the Course syllabus? APHRA are requesting this for me to register even though I've provided my transcript details the modules and also transcript for bachelors, masters and PhD degrees. Without the syllabus Om over 20 years ago I may be deemed not eligible!

I suspect I'm going to be in a similar situation. I did project 2000 training 1991-1994. Course doesn't exist, training institution doesn't exist. I have no idea how I'm going to get hold of any of the required paperwork. 

Hi, I'm a nurse with 20 years experience and looking to move with my family to Melbourne. I'm too old to realistically get in on an independent visa, so need a sponsored 186 visa with PR. Has anyone managed to get a 186 visa with nursing skills, as hear that they are hard to come by. I have A&E experience, but now work within public health managing school nurses. School nursing seems to be within local government in Oz, so would be happy to look at that route rather than hospital nursing. I have a degree in public health nursing and a masters in Healthcare Leadership. 

Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, Rumblyvike said:

I suspect I'm going to be in a similar situation. I did project 2000 training 1991-1994. Course doesn't exist, training institution doesn't exist. I have no idea how I'm going to get hold of any of the required paperwork. 

I trained with the Ark when it was the English National board.  NMC searched the archives and were able to produce the syllabus - it took a little longer but they do it.

• 2 weeks later...
ANy questions on registrations?

Hi I have been thinking about moving for sometime now and now I've finally decided to do it. I have given myself 3 years to get organised and also upgrade my qualifications. I a registered Learning Disability Nurse (degree level) and have decided to become a nurse prescriber and am in the process of applying, is nurse prescribing recognised in Oz and what opportunities are out there?

Also

I'm a RNLD Nurse however have been practising as a Charge Nurse in Forensic Mental Health for the last 2.5 years. If I move to OZ will I still be able to practice in the field I have become to love so much?

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

3 hours ago, Pazywannabeoz said:

Hi I have been thinking about moving for sometime now and now I've finally decided to do it. I have given myself 3 years to get organised and also upgrade my qualifications. I a registered Learning Disability Nurse (degree level) and have decided to become a nurse prescriber and am in the process of applying, is nurse prescribing recognised in Oz and what opportunities are out there?

Also

I'm a RNLD Nurse however have been practising as a Charge Nurse in Forensic Mental Health for the last 2.5 years. If I move to OZ will I still be able to practice in the field I have become to love so much?

I know when I first came over there was someone working on the ward as an EN because their learning Disability qualification wasn't recognised (before you had to have a degree).  I would check with AHPRA regarding the qualification.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 5:09 PM, Pazywannabeoz said:

Also

Hi, I work as a mental health nurse in Melbourne, been here 4 years.  Don't want to sound harsh but RNLD is not recognised here.  You potentially can work as a mental health nurse as all nurses technically are general nurses when registered with AHPRA.  However, you would probably have to do a post-graduate mental health course(diploma/BA etc) with in a certain time if you got a job.  I do know of UK RNLD nurses who have really struggled to get work over here.  I would consider getting your RMN before moving if possible. It might delay things but will make life much easier.  

Nurse Prescribing: I would seriously check out if it's worth it given that you plan on moving.  Check AHPRA for what they recognise.  You could do Nurse Practitioner once over here if you stayed.

Sorry if this is negative sounding but I don't mean to be :) Having worked in Frankston/Melbourne for 4 years in mental health I can say that once you get your head round how it works it's worth it.  More jobs, opportunities and money.  Your UK experience will pay off in the long run.  Once you've earned your stripes/proved yourself you can carve out a good career.  Just remember to sell yourself at interview, seriously it is expected over here.  Also just go with the flow as every service is different and it can seem pretty random compared to the NHS.

Good luck.