Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Title
      Liked
      86 times
      Rep

Cost of making the move...

I am about to create a spread sheet of some sort to work out the overall cost of making the move. Aside from the obvious (shipping of goods, visa costs, flights etc) is there anything I might need to put on there - maybe there are some 'hidden costs' or other costs you don't think about until you get to it. I am happy to share my spread sheet once it's done

Title
      Gone fishing
      Liked
      4965 times
      Rep
      Not really, I think most costs are obvious ones.

But perhaps one thing some might overlook, is having to buy things like towels bedding, crockery, maybe an airbed, to live on whilst waiting for the container to arrive.

Title
      Liked
      49 times
      Rep
      Accommodation costs, short term lets plus you will need a to pay a bond when you do lease. Car hire/ buying?

Title
      Liked
      6256 times
      Rep
      Living costs for while you find a job - you need enough money to live for 3 months (minimum) while you find a job. That's rent, bills, food, transport and all daily costs.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1403 times
      Rep
      If you really want silly hidden costs, but which actually surprisingly amount to quite a bit in the first month, then replacing all the things in your house like bleach, washing up liquid, scourers, surface cleaning sprays, shampoo, showergel, sun cream, kitchen towel, salt, sauces, condiments in general.... there are loads of odds and sods like that which you take for granted, yet really miss when their not there! On their own they don't add up to much, but put it all together and I think its a definate first arrival hidden cost on the shopping bill.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      2088 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Tickled Pink View Post
      If you really want silly hidden costs, but which actually surprisingly amount to quite a bit in the first month, then replacing all the things in your house like bleach, washing up liquid, scourers, surface cleaning sprays, shampoo, showergel, sun cream, kitchen towel, salt, sauces, condiments in general.... there are loads of odds and sods like that which you take for granted, yet really miss when their not there! On their own they don't add up to much, but put it all together and I think its a definate first arrival hidden cost on the shopping bill.
      So true. Unlike moving house in the UK when you move overseas you have to pretty much build up your pantry and cleaning stocks from scratch, which can be very expensive.

Title
      Liked
      86 times
      Rep
      Thanks everyone. Keep it coming if you think of anything else. ��

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      school uniforms sports, also school fee's.

Title
      Currently in the CBD, looking for rentals in Sunbury.
      Liked
      171 times
      Rep
      Car rego / insurance / breakdown cover / pink slip (like an MOT) / repairs / servicing, car seats (if you have kids), health insurance (if on 457 / not PR), health expenses (medical / dental excesses not covered by insurance), optician, prescriptions, ambo cover, home insurance, life insurance (if only in Oz temporarily I believe you can keep your UK cover, just tell them where you're moving to and continue the payments), school stationery / incursions / excursions, school shoes (I see school fees and uniforms have already been mentioned so won't repeat this) / swimming lessons (I think - from my own research - they have around 10 lessons...?), home entertainment bundle (Foxtel / internet / phone or mobile), holiday clubs / sports for the kids, leisure activities / coffees / meals / day trips / exploring, etc. for yourselves, transportation costs (be it bus or tram), daily parking costs in the CBD (or train costs if commuting), ad-hoc house / garden costs, birthday / Xmas gifts, etc.

Can't think of anything else for now... that should be enough to keep you going for a while, anyway! ;-)

I-F

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1669 times
      Rep
      New suitcases and clothes.
      Transport to and from the airport.
      Overnight stays at airport.
      IELTS L9.0 R9.0 W8.0 S8.0 AHPRA 13.2.15 ANMAC LOD 31.3.15 Interview QLD Health Job offer & relocation package 30.3.15 189 PR applied 15.4.15 (medicals 7.5.15) CO contact 03.06.15 Visa Grant 06.07.15
      Heading to Townsville 16.9.15

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast