Cost of making the move...

Kooky

I am about to create a spread sheet of some sort to work out the overall cost of making the move. Aside from the obvious (shipping of goods, visa costs, flights etc) is there anything I might need to put on there - maybe there are some 'hidden costs' or other costs you don't think about until you get to it. I am happy to share my spread sheet once it's done :wink:

If you really want silly hidden costs, but which actually surprisingly amount to quite a bit in the first month, then replacing all the things in your house like bleach, washing up liquid, scourers, surface cleaning sprays, shampoo, showergel, sun cream, kitchen towel, salt, sauces, condiments in general.... there are loads of odds and sods like that which you take for granted, yet really miss when their not there! On their own they don't add up to much, but put it all together and I think its a definate first arrival hidden cost on the shopping bill.

If you really want silly hidden costs, but which actually surprisingly amount to quite a bit in the first month, then replacing all the things in your house like bleach, washing up liquid, scourers, surface cleaning sprays, shampoo, showergel, sun cream, kitchen towel, salt, sauces, condiments in general.... there are loads of odds and sods like that which you take for granted, yet really miss when their not there! On their own they don't add up to much, but put it all together and I think its a definate first arrival hidden cost on the shopping bill.

So true. Unlike moving house in the UK when you move overseas you have to pretty much build up your pantry and cleaning stocks from scratch, which can be very expensive.

Car rego / insurance / breakdown cover / pink slip (like an MOT) / repairs / servicing, car seats (if you have kids), health insurance (if on 457 / not PR), health expenses (medical / dental excesses not covered by insurance), optician, prescriptions, ambo cover, home insurance, life insurance (if only in Oz temporarily I believe you can keep your UK cover, just tell them where you're moving to and continue the payments), school stationery / incursions / excursions, school shoes (I see school fees and uniforms have already been mentioned so won't repeat this) / swimming lessons (I think - from my own research - they have around 10 lessons...?), home entertainment bundle (Foxtel / internet / phone or mobile), holiday clubs / sports for the kids, leisure activities / coffees / meals / day trips / exploring, etc. for yourselves, transportation costs (be it bus or tram), daily parking costs in the CBD (or train costs if commuting), ad-hoc house / garden costs, birthday / Xmas gifts, etc.

Can't think of anything else for now... that should be enough to keep you going for a while, anyway! ;-)

I-F

• 2 months later...

Thanks TeacherBen, I'll give it a go now. The spreadsheet has been updated with last week's exchange rate, whereby $1 = 0.526767p.

Cheers, I-F :-)

PS - It's a work in progress so feel free to modify it / suggest improvements, plus the Groceries bit is half-finished as my hard-drive died and I lost some work as I didn't save it before it crashed :-(

AUS VS UK PRICE COMPARISON 2014.xls

AUS VS UK PRICE COMPARISON 2014.xls

Edited by ItchyFeet76
Wrong file attached

Just realised that, for some unknown reason, I uploaded the wrong spreadsheet (the UK Finances was one to decide whether to rent or sell our house - could still have been useful to some people but not relevant to this particular thread). Have now uploaded the correct spreadsheet. There are several sheets within it (Groceries, Non-Groceries, Budget for Renting in Aus, Budget for Buying in Aus, etc.) so it may take a while to peruse... happy reading! ;-)

• Like 1