iPhone unlocking?

TheReids

Hi folks,

I bought an iPhone in the UK over a year ago and used my own SIM card in it, belieiving it was unlocked.

I have now tried to use an Australian SIM (Amaysim) in it and it would appear that my phone is locked to VODAFONE :mad:

Any idea how to get it to work in Australia? Even if I bought an Australian Vodafone SIM would that work or can I get it it unlocked somewhere? I'm in Perth so can go to the Apple store but would prefer to do it on the cheap :biggrin:.

Any help/experiences appreciated!

I have still got my contract running with O2 in uk for another 3 months. However I've called them up and they unlocked it for free.

If you in oz at the mo than put your oz sim in and do a backup in iTunes. Erase and restore from backup. Than your phone will be set up as a new handset and will be unlocked.

• 5 months later...

I was with O2 and wanted it unlocked, didn't realise they would unlock it for free if you're in contract with them. Anyway I was quoted $100 in some places, rang O2 and they did it for me for 15 pounds. Maybe try Vodafone in the UK? They might do it for a much smaller fee then you are likely to pay in Australia.