Really confused about points calculations and confused whether I should apply at all...

mcgyver

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about preparing to submit an application to ACS in order to have my ICT skills assessed. But before that, I need to ensure whether I could achieve 15 points if I placed an EOI in order to receive an invitation to apply as an independent skilled professional (subclass 189), given that the assessment came out positive.

My estimation is that, if I get 10 points instead of 15, then my total points will not be 60 and therefore I will certainly not receive an invitation. Please tell me whether I will get 15 points based on my information below:

ICT Major: Bachelor Degree in Computer Engineering from a Canadian university

ANZSCO: 263111 (Computer Network and System Engineer)

Previous Company outside Australia: 2.5 years of fulltime work (40 hrs/wk) closely related to ANZSCO 263111

Current Company outside Australia: 6 years of fulltime work (40 hrs/wk) closely related to ANZSCO 263111

Thanks.

Edited by mcgyver

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about preparing to submit an application to ACS in order to have my ICT skills assessed. But before that, I need to ensure whether I could achieve 15 points if I placed an EOI in order to receive an invitation to apply as an independent skilled professional (subclass 189), given that the assessment came out positive.

My estimation is that, if I get 10 points instead of 15, then my total points will not be 60 and therefore I will certainly not receive an invitation. Please tell me whether I will get 15 points based on my information below:

Previous Company outside Australia: 2.5 years of fulltime work (40 hrs/wk) closely related to ANZSCO 263111

Current Company outside Australia: 6 years of fulltime work (40 hrs/wk) closely related to ANZSCO 263111

Thanks.

How old are you?

Debs

Hi Everyone,

Thanks.

You don't get points for a positive skills assessment. Your age and IELTS result will drive your points as well as your education and experience.

Hi travelchic, I will get 25 points for my age.

Yes, Rupert, I know that I will not get points for assessment. But once I submit an EOI, my total years of experience will be calculated based on comments made by the skills assessment body (ACS, in my case). So, if I have 8.5 years of experience and ACS comments that I am considered "skilled" for 6.5, then my points on work experience will be based on 6.5! No?

Hello Kezzles,

Thanks for your reply. Here is what ACS Skills Team replied me with when I raised the same concern to them. I quote:

Starting-quote

All ACS Skill Assessment Result Letters report on a date (mm/yy) of when an applicant becomes ‘skilled’.

This date will be when the applicant meets the ACS Requirements, these requirements are detailed in the Summary of Criteria<http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria.pdf>

Only employment completed after the date the applicant has met the ACS requirements will be counted as skilled employment.

Ending-quote

I have attached here the document they were referring to. Please have a look.

Summary-of-Criteria.pdf

Summary-of-Criteria.pdf

Hello Kezzles,

Thanks for your reply. Here is what ACS Skills Team replied me with when I raised the same concern to them. I quote:

Starting-quote

All ACS Skill Assessment Result Letters report on a date (mm/yy) of when an applicant becomes ‘skilled’.

This date will be when the applicant meets the ACS Requirements, these requirements are detailed in the Summary of Criteria<http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria.pdf>

Only employment completed after the date the applicant has met the ACS requirements will be counted as skilled employment.

Ending-quote

Hey

thats for skills assessment from ACS not for points for visa. If you want to claim 15 points for work exoerience as long as 8 years from past ten are related to the skill you are getting assessed for then you can claim. The DIAC website says nothing about when you have qualified!

Ive worked in HR for just over ten years and only graduated in HR in 2007. For the skills assessment with Vetassess they look at whether my degree us comparable if not then they assess 5 years post qualification. Assessing bodies don't award points they only say whether your skill matches the one you are claiming for on SOL/CSOL.

Does that make sense?

I had a wobble about this earlier this week and from my research I now feel more confident about claiming 15 points. I have references to back up my claims so fairly confident it's ok.

Got it, Kezzles. In fact, I submitted a dummy EOI just to remove all doubts. When I was adding my jobs, the online EOI tool simply asked starting date and end date. The total points scored for work experience came out to be 15 for my 8+ years. Having ensured like that, I then withdrew the dummy EOI. :-)

Got it, Kezzles. In fact, I submitted a dummy EOI just to remove all doubts. When I was adding my jobs, the online EOI tool simply asked starting date and end date. The total points scored for work experience came out to be 15 for my 8+ years. Having ensured like that, I then withdrew the dummy EOI. :-)

Remember eoi will accept what u say u need to be able to back up your claims when u lodge your visa.. References and/or pay slips.

Hello Kezzles,

Starting-quote

Ending-quote

I would advise caution as this is a contentious issue at the moment as to how the Department will view “Skilled Employment” experience, especially in regards to the new ACS assessment requirements. Advice from the Department in this regard has not been clear or decisive.

Hey

thats for skills assessment from ACS not for points for visa. If you want to claim 15 points for work exoerience as long as 8 years from past ten are related to the skill you are getting assessed for then you can claim.

This is very dangerous advice.

The issue of claiming points for employment experience is not that simple and is the cause of many failed applications under the current system.

To claim employment experience, the experience must be considered ”skilled employment”. In most cases this is post qualification, but not always.

The DIAC website says nothing about when you have qualified!

The DIAC website is a guide only and not to be relied upon. It does not specify the Regulation or Policy on how to interpret the Regulation.

Assessing bodies don't award points they only say whether your skill matches the one you are claiming for on SOL/CSOL.

The Assessing bodies also provide advice in regards to ”skilled employment” which the case officer can chose to consider or disregard.

Hi travelchic, I will get 25 points for my age.

Yes, Rupert, I know that I will not get points for assessment. But once I submit an EOI, my total years of experience will be calculated based on comments made by the skills assessment body (ACS, in my case). So, if I have 8.5 years of experience and ACS comments that I am considered "skilled" for 6.5, then my points on work experience will be based on 6.5! No?

Hello,

If you dont want to claim points for work experience, you could tick 'not relevant' checkbox in EOI after filled work experiences.

The issue of claiming points for employment experience is not that simple and is the cause of many failed applications under the current system.

To claim employment experience, the experience must be considered ”skilled employment”. In most cases this is post qualification, but not always.

The DIAC website is a guide only and not to be relied upon. It does not specify the Regulation or Policy on how to interpret the Regulation.

The Assessing bodies also provide advice in regards to ”skilled employment” which the case officer can chose to consider or disregard.

But applicant sometimes really confused what he/she/3rdsex could claim in EOI...

Confusion point is 'How to define the 'Skilled employment'?

Applicant dont know cause he/she/3rdsex could not find a clear answer from DIAC website as you mentioned.

And applicant could not always follow what Assessing bodie's advice for 'skilled employment' either.

For example, esepcially when applicant had full-time paid work experiences before the formal qualification, Assessing body(For example ACS) would count those Prior-degree experiences as well and give the 'skilled employment' date before the date of competion of qualification.

But we heard that DIAC might only count the work experience which is post-degree experiences or 5 years substitute of formal qualification, so if applicant just follow what Assessing body's advice as to claim the skilled employment start date before the qualification or degree, they might also be rejected by DIAC.

So what to do then, seems applicant need firstly understand how DIAC mostly do lets say they count experience only after degree, then look whether assesing body's advice if met this condition, then decide what to claim in EOI.

This is not advice it's my opinion based on my situation! I'm not qualified to advise only mara agents can do that. It's a forum for discussion, I would always check with someone more official and op should do this too. My comments were no way intended to read as gospel.

So what to do then, seems applicant need firstly understand how DIAC mostly do lets say they count experience only after degree, then look whether assesing body's advice if met this condition, then decide what to claim in EOI.

this is indeed really turning more confusing. how are we supposed to calculate and, thence, claim points at the time we submit EOI's if there are no clear directives from DIAC on how to calculate points for any ANZSCO compliant jobs assessed by ACS? This question is important because if we end up claiming more points, due to wrong calculations, than we actually deserve (based on decisions made by immigration officers) we run into the risk of getting our applications rejected!

Edited by mcgyver
spelling mistake

this is indeed really turning more confusing. how are we supposed to calculate and, thence, claim points at the time we submit EOI's if there are no clear directives from DIAC on how to calculate points for any ANZSCO compliant jobs assessed by ACS? This question is important because if we end up claiming more points, due to wrong calculations, than we actually deserve (based on decisions made by immigration officers) we run into the risk of getting our applications rejected!

If you over claim or CO decides work experience is not suitable for points purposes your application will be rejected even if you still pass the points test. You will also lose the application fee - as there are no refunds in this situation.

Actually, I am thinking how one might "over claim". If I fill in the blanks on the EOI tool properly, I will not be over claiming experience because the EOI simply asks to specify the starting date and ending date for each job that an applicant wishes to claim points for. It is not a lie if, for the starting date, I put the day I received the joining letter and if, for the ending date, I put the day I received my termination letter from HR. :-)

Edited by lebourvellec
Forum rules

It's not about being a lie or not - if DIAC assess your work experience as not suitable this is over claim of points and application must be refused.

Hi lebourvellec

if you have references, pay slips pension statements to prove your past experience plus current job meets the skills on the ANZCO job description why would you fail? I'm nervous too, I know my past8/10 in fact past 10 years is highly matched to my ANZCO code but I'm nervous that the decision is based on co opinion? Surely they look at all the evidence? I didn't ask for points based letter but almost wish I had however even with letter the co may still refuse??

its a minefield esp when you are paying so much money to fall at final hurdle would be devastating emotionally and financially eh?!! Any advise from those that have actually been in this situation is invaluable.

thx

Kezzles, I am uncertain whether all Assessing Bodies are setting out some new rules in order to take a tighter approach toward assessing skills. My Assessing Body is ACS (Australian Computer Society) which is different from yours. So, before feeling worried, I think you should find out whether there are some new rules in effect to be inforced by your Assessing Body.

Kezzles, I am uncertain whether all Assessing Bodies are setting out some new rules in order to take a tighter approach toward assessing skills. My Assessing Body is ACS (Australian Computer Society) which is different from yours. So, before feeling worried, I think you should find out whether there are some new rules in effect to be inforced by your Assessing Body.

hey it would be good to hear from those who have been in same situation eh? Lots of conflicting advice etc.. Guess its our responsibility to find out from the officials! Hope you work it out!

Hi,

As far as I know they count whole years 2 + 6 = 8

Overseas skilled employment in nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation, at time of invitation

At least eight and up to 10 years (of past 10 years) 15 points so you should be OK?!! I think

Sher

Hi lebourvellec

if you have references, pay slips pension statements to prove your past experience plus current job meets the skills on the ANZCO job description why would you fail? I'm nervous too, I know my past8/10 in fact past 10 years is highly matched to my ANZCO code but I'm nervous that the decision is based on co opinion? Surely they look at all the evidence? I didn't ask for points based letter but almost wish I had however even with letter the co may still refuse??

its a minefield esp when you are paying so much money to fall at final hurdle would be devastating emotionally and financially eh?!! Any advise from those that have actually been in this situation is invaluable.

thx

I have posted several times about this issue. So far my advocacy on behalf of my clients has been successful. You might want to check my posts.