Hello! moving from Aberdeen to Adelaide soon hopefully and any local knowledge would be greatly

myrtle1973

Hi all!

my husband has been offered a job in 'Marion' in Adelaide and his company's migration agent submitted our application (457 visa) at the beginning of July. We have just heard from his company they will be looking at our application next week ( hooray, its felt like an eternity) and hopefully all will go to plan and we will all be on the move soon. We are a family of 5, myself, hubby and 3 kids aged 17, 10 and 7 and i really would appreciate any feedback on good schools, areas to live (good and ones to avoid), what to bring with us what not to bring, absolutely any advice at all please.

Anyone else in my situation? It would be nice to hear how things are going for you etc

First thing I would say is get PR ASAP. Can you not get it from the employer from the start? ENS or RSMS could be possible. Or even another skilled visa.

The 457 is a temporary visa with NO guarantee of PR.

Personally I wouldn't be uprooting a family like yours without PR.

You may be up for a short adventure but with kids at those ages you could be mucking up their schooling if you have to return to the UK in 3-4 years. Or even with 90 days notice if the job ends.

I would seriously look at the visa options open to you and see if you can apply for PR from the start.

Thanks for that. We will consider PR once we have settled and sure we want to stay. I would imagine in a year or 2 we would decide if we want to stay permanently? I have seriously considered moving with the kids being at school etc but i'm not happy with their current school anyway, so will be moving them anyway even if we stayed in the UK. I am being positive and hoping this move will be the best thing for us. Thanks again.

As long as you are aware of the routes to PR and realise that rules can and do change. A person recently has been caught out as he is too old to progress from 457 as criteria changed. Also WA just brought in new rules and 457 holders now have to pay $4000 per child for schooling. If SA decide to do this it will be costly for you.

Temp visa holders are vulnerable to changes.

As long as you are aware of the risks.

As long as you are aware of the routes to PR and realise that rules can and do change. A person recently has been caught out as he is too old to progress from 457 as criteria changed. Also WA just brought in new rules and 457 holders now have to pay $4000 per child for schooling. If SA decide to do this it will be costly for you.

Temp visa holders are vulnerable to changes.

As long as you are aware of the risks.

I can see you point, thank you. I know the offer my husband has does not have any of the above taken in to consideration so i will look in to it asap. Thanks again.

Hi Myrtle

Congrats on the job. Sorry cant help on the Adelaide front but for more inside knowledge why not pop into the sister site Poms in Adelaide.

Lots of good info on both sites re helping making your move a bit smoother.

Wishing you all the best for your new adventure