Has anyone made the move to ACT?

cjenky

Hi all,

I am looking to apply for state sponsorship once I receive (hopefully fingers crossed) a successful Vetassess result. Initially we were looking at WA. I am a project administrator and the occupation is only on the state list for WA or ACT. A good friend of mine emigrated to Sydney some 10 years ago and I am now wondering if it would be more beneficial for us to apply to ACT as she informs me this is approx. a 2 hr drive from her home in Sydney. I am currently looking into cost of living, way of life in ACT etc and I am liking what I see. Even the weather is appealing lol (Others say ACT is very cold in Winter...but I think that is one of the things I would miss from the UK) My question is what are the job prospects like in ACT? Does anyone have any first hand experiences with this? How difficult was it to find employment?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Claire

Project Administrator jobs in Canberra? No idea but be aware that the largest employer in ACT is the APS for which citizenship is generally a requirement and I make the assumption that Project Administration is usually an IT focussed process in which case you could struggle to find something especially if there is a change of government in the next month and Canberra will bear the brunt of that with, I should imagine, a lot of current contractors being dropped from the payroll and therefore finding themselves on the non government market.

Otherwise, for homes etc I assume you have found http://www.allhomes.com.au

Hi all,

I am looking to apply for state sponsorship once I receive (hopefully fingers crossed) a successful Vetassess result. Initially we were looking at WA. I am a project administrator and the occupation is only on the state list for WA or ACT. A good friend of mine emigrated to Sydney some 10 years ago and I am now wondering if it would be more beneficial for us to apply to ACT as she informs me this is approx. a 2 hr drive from her home in Sydney. I am currently looking into cost of living, way of life in ACT etc and I am liking what I see. Even the weather is appealing lol (Others say ACT is very cold in Winter...but I think that is one of the things I would miss from the UK) My question is what are the job prospects like in ACT? Does anyone have any first hand experiences with this? How difficult was it to find employment?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Claire

HI Claire, we are looking at ACT as well so interested to hear what you get back. My work is HR and my OH is construction. Carmel:biggrin: