Offered job in another state

rossmclean54

Hi all,

First post :-)

My family and I have been granted a 176 State sponsored visa for South Australia. We went over last year from the UK for 3 weeks to check out jobs, schools and housing etc. I was very disappointed on the job front (In the Print Industry) as I wasn't getting many responses from the UK when applying for jobs so thought that if I was over there I would get more interest... sadly not so. I have a friend in Brisbane who said he can get me a job with his Print company but thinks it would be an issue with my visa being for SA. I have contacted agents who have said I don't need another visa for Brisbane as I already have a legal visa to work in Australia... its more a gentleman's agreement that you stay in that state and they understand that people have to move for work reasons.

Has anyone else found themselves in this situation?

Would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Ross

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

As you've been told, its a moral obligation not a legal one.

It's been posted about many times on the forum if you want to read about it. Chuck 'moral obligation' or some such into the forum search and see what you get back. It can also get a bit heated debate wise re the moral bit but my understanding is there is nothing to stop you. Happy reading :)

Edited by Guest
Added a line

Ross

Have you posted on the poms in adelaide forum previously? I know there is someone on the site that is fairly active and works in the printing industry and they many be able to help/offer advice. How long have you been actively looking for work in Adelaide (meaning from when you were physically in Adelaide looking)?

Hi Jessica,

I was actively looking for work in Adelaide for 6 months before we went over, then for the 3 weeks when we were there... don't get me wrong we loved Adelaide but think it could be a struggle to have a good career in the Print Industry there . I still constantly check and apply for jobs in SA.

Ross

Hi Jessica,

I was actively looking for work in Adelaide for 6 months before we went over, then for the 3 weeks when we were there... don't get me wrong we loved Adelaide but think it could be a struggle to have a good career in the Print Industry there . I still constantly check and apply for jobs in SA.

Ross

Am I correct in reading your response that you are not actually living in Adelaide yet? So is the plan to go straight to Brisbane and not give Adelaide a chance?

The chances of securing a job before you are actually living here are quite low, there are certain jobs where you will stand a chance but I would say printing is not one of them. You are in the same position as a lot of people that come to Adelaide, a lot of us do not have jobs to come to and take that leap of faith. There are also quite a few of us on the poms in adelaide forum that have changed careers and are doing different jobs.

I get where you're coming from Jessica, a leap of faith is sometimes needed but can be a drain, financially and emotionally, if work isn't too hasty in coming forward. Likewise I have heard many people say how hard it is to get work while you're still in the uk. I know from experience that sending off over 50 C.V's cold from the uk will get maybe 2-3 responses of acknowledgement at best. But if Ross has the offer or a good chance of a job surely taking that chance and supporting his family while paying taxes etc is better than a voyage into the total unknown?

I'm not even touching the SS moral obligation debate, I've been caught in the crossfire from that in the past. Merely saying if there's a job on the table surely that's better all round.

Totally, looking for a job as a new migrant can be hard work. I have seen many migrants think they are just going to turn up at Adelaide airport and the minute they step off the plane they will be inundated with work offers and unless you are a mechanic, diesel mechanic, IT (depending on skill set) and a few other jobs this is not going to happen. People can be in for quite a shock when 3 months later they still don't have a job and their money has ran out/or running out.

The job market in Adelaide is tough at the moment and has been for the past 12 months in my opinion.

I understand what you are saying about the job offer and providing for the family. I was just unclear from the initial message whether Russ was in Adelaide yet or not and was trying to ascertain that. I have worked with people who panic if they don't have a job after being here for a week, so was trying to establish a timeline, but now I think they are still in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
Totally, looking for a job as a new migrant can be hard work. I have seen many migrants think they are just going to turn up at Adelaide airport and the minute they step off the plane they will be inundated with work offers and unless you are a mechanic, diesel mechanic, IT (depending on skill set) and a few other jobs this is not going to happen. People can be in for quite a shock when 3 months later they still don't have a job and their money has ran out/or running out.

The job market in Adelaide is tough at the moment and has been for the past 12 months in my opinion.

I understand what you are saying about the job offer and providing for the family. I was just unclear from the initial message whether Russ was in Adelaide yet or not and was trying to ascertain that. I have worked with people who panic if they don't have a job after being here for a week, so was trying to establish a timeline, but now I think they are still in the UK.

Thanks J, our friends in Adelaide also advise that a leap of faith is the way forward.