When and where? Itinerary help please

Britpop

The OH and I plan to come to Aus early August on WHVs. He wants to land in Sydney as that's just what he had always planned and it seems as good a place as any to start. We'll have a month or so before we have to start work! He being a bricklayer/ builder and I am an account manager but have worked as a chef for 2 years and in bars forever so imagine that'll be the likelihood. I'm leaving my dog, home, a great job with good prospects and using my savings to fund the trip so while he is happy to have no plan :wideeyed: I need some kind of idea.

So my question, where to head to follow the work and weather? We will buy a car when I can get my head around the rego system! And while we will be working, we want to experience the best of Aus. My need to work isn't great but he will have to. Can anyone suggest a potential route as a starter? It's all well me saying I want to be in Byron Bay but not if there's no work! We're both very capable and outgoing, friendly and conscientious, happy to do anything. My reasoning for going is that I'd rather be cleaning toilets in paradise than the MD is a bleak UK, hopefully I can find something in the middle rather than accidentally get stuck in rainy season with no work :twitcy:

Any help is appreciated.

Will your ticket be a return from the same city ie If you start in Sydney you'll finish in Sydney? If so, I think you might be better starting in Perth. It is usually pretty nice weather in Perth is August whereas it is still pretty wintery in Sydney. Also there is more work in WA from what I gather at the moment so it'll get you off to a good start. As it heads towards summer you should move South Eastwards to avoid the worst of the heat (no-one is comfortable in 40+ heat) then as it comes around to winter again head Northwards to Queensland, back across to Darwin (via Uluru if you can afford it) then back down to Perth to return home.

There will be work in all the major cities and anywhere tourists go so I doubt you'll have too much trouble. If you are planning to do agricultural work have a think about what you would want to do- grape picking/vine pruning always looks like one of the more favorable options so you'd need to think seasonally - WA and SA both have big wine growing areas - other states may too, I just know those ones.

if you were moving permanently I'd challenge that Aus is paradise and you'd be happy cleaning toilets but a WHV is a very different experience and it may well be paradise so enjoy!

Guest Ptp113
The OH and I plan to come to Aus early August on WHVs. He wants to land in Sydney as that's just what he had always planned and it seems as good a place as any to start. We'll have a month or so before we have to start work! He being a bricklayer/ builder and I am an account manager but have worked as a chef for 2 years and in bars forever so imagine that'll be the likelihood. I'm leaving my dog, home, a great job with good prospects and using my savings to fund the trip so while he is happy to have no plan :wideeyed: I need some kind of idea.

So my question, where to head to follow the work and weather? We will buy a car when I can get my head around the rego system! And while we will be working, we want to experience the best of Aus. My need to work isn't great but he will have to. Can anyone suggest a potential route as a starter? It's all well me saying I want to be in Byron Bay but not if there's no work! We're both very capable and outgoing, friendly and conscientious, happy to do anything. My reasoning for going is that I'd rather be cleaning toilets in paradise than the MD is a bleak UK, hopefully I can find something in the middle rather than accidentally get stuck in rainy season with no work :twitcy:

Any help is appreciated.

It is paradise unless your the glass half empty type, which most poms are. Car buying is easy and forget rego that's even easier. Sydney is a good a place as any to start, don't rush as the distances can be tiring. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do well.

If you're looking for any type of work then sydney is probably a good place to start, but if you want farmy type work then at that time of year (before it gets too hot) WA and NT would be good places, then you can see those states during cooler months (well spring)

Thanks for the replies. After this It looks like we're pushing it to end Sept for work reasons now! I've handed in my notice and end Aug is better. I'd potentially like to go back there some day so want to be accommodating. Also good friends are getting married mid Sept so we'll go straight after that (for the sake of a week or so id rather be there for that and it makes a good cut off)

Just to book the flights now, it's the decision to book a return or just the one way. One way is coming in around £500 but with a rubbish airline or an Emirates return is £870 both with a couple of weeks stop in Bangkok. We're never going to find a one way back for less than £500 I think so the return seems the way to go and just hope we don't have to pay a huge difference on the date change.

So many little things to sort out now! Bank accounts to change here, insurance to cancel, etc there a possibility I may be over thinking this! Lol :)

It is paradise unless your the glass half empty type, which most poms are. Car buying is easy and forget rego that's even easier. Sydney is a good a place as any to start, don't rush as the distances can be tiring. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do well.

And how would you know Sprintman that "Most poms are the glass half empty type"?You haven't lived here for donkeys years!Maybe they were that type where you're from in the UK but I can't see any diff in my aussie mates to my brit ones tbh!SOunds to me like you're that type of person because pretty much every post you write is negative!You're alledgedly in "Paradise"so you should be overjoyed,positive and happy!You don't come across like that,so......maybe you just think you're in paradise!You know that line in the Harry Chapin song........"You can travel on 10,000 miles,and still be where you are"?If its true what you've just said,then you have more pomminess in you than you think you do!Enjoy!