Possible move to Hobart area

karenanddave

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. We are currently living in the suburbs of Melbourne. Hubby wants a bit more space about him! We came over to Hobart last weekend for a wee look round. I am not sure about moving as there didn't seem to be an awful lot there!

we have a nearly 18 year old and an 8 year old. It is the 18 year old I am most worried about! What do teenagers do there when they leave school? She is in the middle of a child care course at the moment (incorporating year 11). Do most young people leave to study on the mainland after school?

we wanted to feel part of a community ( something we have missed in Melbourne). Is there a community spirit to be found in Tasmania? What I don't want to do is make a huge mistake and end up back in Melbourne after 6 months!

all advice wewelcome thanks, Karen

I would say first thing you need to look at is a Job.. Can you or Hubby find work there? I know it can be hard to find work in these areas. A friend of mine has to leave there a few years ago due to lack of work, also the locals seem to give the work to the locals..even with less experience...this is just what I have been told and thought I would pass this on for you to look into.

Other than that lol iv heard it is beautiful there and would love to vist..but a little too cold for me to live. Good luck.

Edited by Eng32

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. We are currently living in the suburbs of Melbourne. Hubby wants a bit more space about him! We came over to Hobart last weekend for a wee look round. I am not sure about moving as there didn't seem to be an awful lot there!

we have a nearly 18 year old and an 8 year old. It is the 18 year old I am most worried about! What do teenagers do there when they leave school? She is in the middle of a child care course at the moment (incorporating year 11). Do most young people leave to study on the mainland after school?

we wanted to feel part of a community ( something we have missed in Melbourne). Is there a community spirit to be found in Tasmania? What I don't want to do is make a huge mistake and end up back in Melbourne after 6 months!

all advice wewelcome thanks, Karen

I am not sure about moving as there didn't seem to be an awful lot there!

Well, there's not a lot of large shopping malls or masses of nightclubs...though there are some. But there's plenty of everything else you need to live comfortably.

It's easy to get around compared to large cities, it has a good liveable climate...not as cold as the UK but without the long stretches of very hot or humid weather experienced on the mainland. It is actually the second driest capital city in Australia so doesn't get masses of rain.

There are plenty of things going on but you probably don't realise that until you are living here.

Do most young people leave to study on the mainland after school?

No. They will go to the mainland if there is a course which isn't offered here such as veterinary science, dentistry or professional training in drama or dance.

But they are the only ones I can think of at the moment which aren't offered here. Otherwise they go to the University of Tasmania here in Hobart (also in Launceston and Burnie) or to TAFE or the Polytechnic. The Childcare course is conducted at TAFE.

I don't think your daughter would have any problem obtaining work in childcare if she wishes to.

Is there a community spirit to be found in Tasmania?

Definitely, in my opinion. The population has grown more slowly here than in other areas and has been more stable so there is an identification and sense of belonging here. There are lots of community groups, organisations, activities going on so you just have to be willing to get involved in things which interest you to make connections.

I'd absolutely agree with Skani - and not just because she mentioned my blog! ;) Thanks Skani! :)

We've found there's loads to do here, certainly as much as we would want. We're just finishing up Dark Mofo which was brilliant by all accounts (I only saw a little bit as I've had other things on!) and there are a surprising number of pretty large acts that come here. As an example, two of my childhood musical heroes, Afrika Bambatta and George Clinton, have both played in Hobart so far this year. We've also seen Bill Bailey live about a mile from our house.

There aren't loads of nightclubs, but there are some. There is a good vibe around in the evenings though and there's always a lot of live music around. You can definitely see a good standard of live music every night if you want to. The Republic in North Hobart in particular is very good for live music but there are loads of other venues.

As far as study is concerned, the University of Tasmania is actually a world-class university in certain areas. Particularly environmental and Antarctic research. It's a thriving uni and a great place to study.

I've also found that there are lots of really cool things going on that only locals know about :D

What sorts of "things to do" are you looking for?

Hi there, I am a nurse too hoping to move from Perth to Tasmania, which hospital did you go too. My husband might struggle as he doesn't have a specific trade but that's ok, he would be prepared to do anything. Having another visit next week to look at a few houses. Good luck with whatever you decide. Anne