Living in Australia - What you need to know

Guest The Pom Queen

In most cases in the UK the meter is in a box on the outside but the fuse box is inside.

True. Our gas meter was under the stairs inside but electric meter was outside. The days of manual meter reading in the UK are numbered as Smart readers proliferate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

indicator on opposite side of steering wheel, was turning the wipers on for weeks

Has nothing to do with Australia.

Generally, cars made by companies based in RHD countries will have the indicator on the right. And cars made in LHD countries will be on the left.

So Holden, Aussie Fords, Japanese cars etc will all be on the right side. Euro and Yank cars will be on the left.

It's so you can change gear and indicate at the same time. But it's cheaper to move the whole unit from one side of the car to the other, instead of having to re-engineer it.

Has nothing to do with Australia.

Generally, cars made by companies based in RHD countries will have the indicator on the right. And cars made in LHD countries will be on the left.

So Holden, Aussie Fords, Japanese cars etc will all be on the right side. Euro and Yank cars will be on the left.

It's so you can change gear and indicate at the same time. But it's cheaper to move the whole unit from one side of the car to the other, instead of having to re-engineer it.

It's not quite as simple as that; every Japanese/Asian (Nissan/Mitsub/Mazda) car I driven in the UK had the indicator on the left. The only car I has in the UK with RH indicator was a Getz.

It may be more to do with supplying to the EU market. When I had one of the Nissans with the LH indicators, I had made validation trip and had an Xtrail as a hire car and the dashboard, steering wheel, buttons were identical except for the indicators and windscreen wipers.

It's not quite as simple as that; every Japanese/Asian (Nissan/Mitsub/Mazda) car I driven in the UK had the indicator on the left. The only car I has in the UK with RH indicator was a Getz.

It may be more to do with supplying to the EU market. When I had one of the Nissans with the LH indicators, I had made validation trip and had an Xtrail as a hire car and the dashboard, steering wheel, buttons were identical except for the indicators and windscreen wipers.

Quite, some will, but it's generally designed for where the majority of sales are. You'll probably find a lot of those Japanese cars in the UK were/are actually built in Eastern Europe or France (they tend to rattle more then the Japan built ones).

Merc, BMW are generally left. Euro spec Holdens (Opel/Vauxhall) are often left, with the Commodore being right. All Japanese spec'ed Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Mazda I've driven have been right.

But it's isn't an "Australia" thing. It'll be more likely a Japan/Thailand/Indonesia/Australia/New Zealand market car. And being on the 'door' side of the wheel is 'correct'.

Edited by Bibbs

In most cases in the UK the meter is in a box on the outside but the fuse box is inside.

Been informed by a Firey I know that it's for a number of reasons, but basically, to separate the fuses from the circuit breaker would stick at least another 500 bucks on the price of a house and that's only if local legislation/codes allow.

The emergency services (apparently) canvased for the cut off to be outside many years ago following certain US codes/practice that insisted on emergency access to power cut off without entering the home. Apparently there have been cases of US firemen refusing to enter premises in some US states unless power was cut off. In some US states, the boxes have to be clearly visible from the street and not round the side or back of a house and he's guessing that this may be the code that's followed here. The meter being on the outside is at the insistence of the power companies and the fuses outside are simply a cost cutting measure because the circuit breaker has to be outdoors and to separate the two is costly. You can stipulate when building that you want the fuses inside but it will cost you...........something to do with "copper wire" he said, but he ain't a sparky.

• 3 months later...

Speed limits are very strict.

You can buy golly wogs! Well here in Melbourne. Who would have thought in this day and age.

Be prepared to own more thermals than you ever did in the UK, depending on what city you move to. My mum still finds this funny.

In Melbourne, people will talk to you on public transport. Bit of a shock after coming from London.

Woolies will suddenly decide to stop stocking items, but will happily tell you to check out there competitor ;)

Not sure about this now, as only experienced it in Sydney. Motorists would warn you of upcoming police checks, and would call radio stations to inform them of hot spots.

Megan is pronounced Meagan

The postman drives a motorbike on the path to deliver the mail. Still to this day find this odd.

School kids carrying huge backpacks, which are around half the size of them and usually full. Poor kids.

Hook turns. This is only in Melbourne CBD and due to the trams. No other city in the world has this crazy right turn system. Best to avoid if you can or practice regularly.

Be prepared for Asians! If behind them on escalators when they get to the top, they will usually stop and gather before deciding what to do next. Same with walking behind them in the street. Also be careful when doing a left turn, as they just walk out and do not even look to see if a car is there.

In Melbourne, cannot comment on other cities, but in the morning it can sound like you are in the jungle with the bird noises. This is not a bad thing but unexpected. Another nice thing is seeing the bird wildlife so close to you on your doorstep. Sometimes feels like you are in paradise.

Sushi, cheap and so much better than what you find in the UK. It is basically fast food and tons of shops that sell it.

Head to Coles if you want British style bacon, as Australian bacon not that great.

Buying a meat pie or sausage roll, you can get this funky tomato sauce packet. Essentially to make it easier to dispense with one hand, far better than what is on offer in the UK.

Some parts of Australia DO get snow. This is another preconception from people North of the equator that Australia is just sunshine all year round.

One more thing. Coffee shops - coffee is an institution here, I can only comment on Melbourne.

I had my favorite coffee places in the UK, but now going back they are bland and tasteless.

Melbourne is not big on brand chains, so you find many individually owned coffee shops. Starbucks did not do well here.

Another nice thing, is if you frequent a shop often, they will remember your name and how you take your coffee.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

I have deleted a number of posts. This thread is for light hearted banter and to help people understand Australian way of life. If you take offence with that maybe this thread isn't for you. If anyone as any issues please pm me as further comments on the subject will be deleted.

I have deleted a number of posts. This thread is for light hearted banter and to help people understand Australian way of life. If you take offence with that maybe this thread isn't for you. If anyone as any issues please pm me as further comments on the subject will be deleted.

Thank you, appreciated :)

• 6 months later...
On 12/06/2013 at 3:36 PM, The Pom Queen said:

Same for Data as well its pronounced Darta

Hahaha I say "darta" and "rowter" now. Courtesy of Aussie hubby - and I hated the data pronunciation when I first heard it! Yoghurt is the other one that made me laugh. 

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, Beffers said:

Hahaha I say "darta" and "rowter" now. Courtesy of Aussie hubby - and I hated the data pronunciation when I first heard it! Yoghurt is the other one that made me laugh. 

I really hate the word Maroon (Ma roon) when they pronounce it over here it's Ma Rone 

Its been a while since I've had my English corrected by an Aussie (usually English place names where I used to live) but I have the perfect comeback when asked "How do you pronounce it?" I simply say 'correctly'. If they try correcting my French, I just speak in French to them for the next 2 minutes. I haven't met an Aussie who actually understands French yet.

• Like 1

Place names are hard work!!! Husband still struggles with where we're living....Wollongong. I keep saying, it's woollen gong. Easy. But, can he get it right???! Nope! We both get laughed at for saying stuff "wrong" - my stock answer for this, is "what language do you speak?" (The reply comes English) "Yes, well, have a guess who knows best how to speak English.....the Australians or the English??" 

Dont get me started on driving!! OMG! Undertaking is fine here..... trucks don't have a lower speed limit.....and people drive way too close to the car in front. So.....expect to jump out of your skin when you get two, whacking great big trucks overtaking you, one on each side, whilst having a "red P plater" driving so close you can see the whites of their eyes.

You cannot buy lamb or pork stock cubes for love nor money. 

Other than that, we're loving it! The beaches are out of this world, and we go out and about loads, spend time together enjoying our new lifestyle. Homesick? Not on your Nelly!! There's certain things we miss, but we won't be going back to England.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2016 at 8:28 PM, unzippy said:

I think it is more terminology at work here.

Barbie (AUS) Cooking outdoors.

BBQ (US) indirect heat usually from wood, low and slow.

BBQ (UK) Cooking over an open flame.

Grilling (US) Cooking over an open flame.

Grilling (UK) heat source above so you can make cheese on toast.

Broiler (US) heat source above so you can make cheese on toast.

From what I've seen from my Aus family, they have gas BBQs but only use the flat plate with oil to cook on - shallow frying in my opinion.

I have already started a program of re-education:wink:

The reason why many Aussies use gas plate barbecues is because of total fire bans. You can use gas bbqs on those days, but you can't use a Weber. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheEscapePlan said:

The reason why many Aussies use gas plate barbecues is because of total fire bans. You can use gas bbqs on those days, but you can't use a Weber. 

Yes but if it isn't flame grilled you might as well cook it in the kitchen and take it outside IMO. Easier to clean up as well.  Never understood the Aussie obsession with gas BBQs.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2016 at 1:21 AM, Gbye grey sky said:

True. Our gas meter was under the stairs inside but electric meter was outside. The days of manual meter reading in the UK are numbered as Smart readers proliferate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought they still need to inspect them?

Edited by newjez

On 4/8/2017 at 6:20 AM, Bobj said:

Wot abaht Woostershur, then?

Or, Glosturshur, or even lundun, for that matter?

Cheers, Bobj.

Thinking that there is no such thing as "correct" (or "incorrect") English, I did some research and came across this comparison between Britain and Australia:

Language

Both Australians and English speak the same language, but they speak it in different ways. In England, pronunciation varies according to class and region, which reflects England's class conscious society and regional rivalries. For example, soccer player David Beckam pronounces th sounds as f sounds so instead of saying "I think", he will say, "I fink."

In Australia, pronunciation varies according to gender and ideology. Australian men with a positive attitude to Australia are more likely to speak like Bill Hunter, Paul Hogan, Kerry Packer, Lindsay Fox or Bob Hawke with a broad Australian accent. Australian women are more likely to speak like Cate Blanchett with an accent that sounds like someone educated at Oxford University. Australian men that don't like Australia are more likely to speak like a woman or someone educated at Oxford university.

Contrary to myth, there is no regional variance in Australian English. People in Perth do not speak differently to people in Melbourne. Furthermore, there is no racial accent. Very few children of non-English speaking migrants speak with ethnic accents.

Aside from pronunciation, Australian English has been heavily influenced by American English. Most of Australia's television shows are American and American research dominates Australian universities. Consequently, Australians often use the American spelling for words such as 'organization.' They use both American and English grammar. For example, both the American "the couple is happy" and the British "the couple are happy" are acceptable in Australia.

Finally, Australian English is more informal than British English. Australians quickly get on to first name basis and refrain from using titles such as Mr, Mrs, Lord or Your Highness. Australians also frequently corrupt the language via the use of diminutives such as 'arvo' instead of 'afternoon' or 'uni' instead of 'university.' (http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/england.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Love the twang and elongation of words we get to experience here...

One of our favourites is Data, pronounced pretty much as Day-ta in the UK with some folks pronouncing as Dah-ta. But not here. Now even I pronounce it as Daaa-taaa, you should take exactly an entire second saying the word, while the rest of the world continues staring at you and you hear pin drop silence. 

Or the number 40. Strict, curt and quick in the UK. But here we always end up smiling when we hear the elongated Phoo-tee with a sweet tone to it, cracks us up and we love it. Must admit we hear it more on the TV although I was surprised when some of my work mates pronounced it that way!

The only shortened word I can say with absolute seriousness is Brekkie, cant manage anything more after 4 months.... 

KnK

Edited by Kenfrapin

• 2 weeks later...

I might be going part native. I've conceded 'Woollengong' and have used Daaa Taaa at a few work meeting in the last couple of weeks already. How ever Wagga Wagga was the proverbial straw. It remains pronounced as its spelt, despite all the corrections and stares and finger wagging.....

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Just now, ssiri said:

I might be going part native. I've conceded 'Woollengong' and have used Daaa Taaa at a few work meeting in the last couple of weeks already. How ever Wagga Wagga was the proverbial straw. It remains pronounced as its spelt, despite all the corrections and stares and finger wagging.....

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

I didn't think Aussies pronounced Wollongong as Wool...... Woolloomooloo is pronounced as in wool,

I don't have a problem with Wagga pronounced as Wogga any more than Derby as Darby!

Different pronounciations of words are the norm wherever you go. I only just found out that Gillingham in Dorset is NOT pronounced as the "G" in Germany as per the Gillingham in Kent?

The "Al" in Albany WA and Albury NSW are pronounced differently and I think the same is true of Coogee WA compared to Coogee NSW.