Opinions on Oatley

Moving to Sydney end of July with wife and 4 yr old son , we are looking for 3 bedroom house in family orientated suburb , good public schools and transport links to city . After months of research Oatley is the place that is standing out . All opinions welcome ..

Edited by Jollyjoiner

As good a place as any to live. It has a station & decent shopping centre. I liked it when I went there a couple of years back. Are you planning to work in the CBD itself? That commute is OK but if it is not, then it could be an issue if you have to take a bus as well as a train or drive a long way.

8 January 2015. I must have posted this using my phone to be able to create a non-word like 'oestrogen?!'

Anyway, if you know where you are going to be working in Sydney, you should be able to guestimate your commute time.

Edited by MARYROSE02
oestrogen?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if there any good Public High Schools here (non selective?) -

we are Keen on Rockdale and Kogarah and places in St George's near the train line - but haven't worked out where the decent schools are yet.

Any knowledge, experience or tips on Public High Schools in that greater area would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Captain Roberto

I see it's about 30-35 minutes from Oatley to Sydney - Martin Place station, so that is not bad, and about the same from Mortdale. I think Mortdale must be one station closer to Sydney as it comes up at 30 minutes.

We used to live halfway between Mortdale and Oatley stations. More trains stop at Mortdale and it's a few minutes shorter because it's one stop closer to the city. The nice thing is that the train is still quite empty at those stations so you always get a seat.

I'm trying to think if I've ever been to Mortdale (in the sense of actually stopping there for a walk around.) I've been to Oatley and Penshurst or is it Peakhurst?!)

I sometimes pick a suburb at random and drive or get train there for walk around, have a coffee or a beer and try to get a feel for the place.

Driving back from Clovelly, the other night, which I've done hundreds of times up and down Clovelly Rd, on whim I turned left down an unfamiliar street towards Coogee, left again and left a third time up Arden St back to Clovelly Rd.