Car Seats Rules

Was reading through the car seats page for a bit.

What happens if we bring out british one with us and use it? The one we have uses a seatbelt not isofix so would be as secure as it would be in a british car.

Who's going to check and what would be the issue if it was to come to light.

Guest Geordee

I "think" its illegal to use it, but personally I would do it, as like you say who's gonna know / check. Unless you get pulled over or similar, but even then the police don't usually do random checks of whether car seats are compliant lol ;) My SIL came over and used her UK one with her daughter for just under a year - no issues. Just do it if it makes financial sense - ie, more cost effective to bring it than buy here.

Tbh the car seat stuff seems quite complicated when I rented a car last year they just provided booster cushion for my 7 year old like what she has here but after reading some other stuff it seems like she should still be by oz rules using high backed booster and special harness instead of normal seat belt holding it, she will be 8 in September and is quite tall does anyone else have kids around this age and if so what type of seat do you use?

I am led to believe IF you had an accident ,the insurance could be funny and not pay out / claim your not covered as the seat wasn't Australian spec. I would guess a few migrants bring car seats with them and use them, as with anything some will never have an issue but the odd one or two may, it depends if you want to take the risk.

​ Cal x

Our daughters (5 and 7) have high backed boosters, which are used with the lap sash belt. Something to bear in mind, is that they are tethered in with a special tether strap which goes from the car seat to a bolt/tether point in the boot. Your British seats are unlikely to have this tether, which may mean that they are illegal to use. Here are the rules for NSW (other states may be different), direct from the NSW RTA website http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/children/childrestraints/childrestraintlaws_faqs.html.

Sorry - it's about your child's safety isn't it? Car seats are inexpensive in the grand scheme of moving countries.

I would agree but does that mean the car seat is unsafe when she was using it in UK? The car seats don't suddenly become physically unsafe once it crosses international borders, the cars are pretty much the same right? The top tether does add an extra degree of safety I'd admit.

It's really to do with legality. It would not be legal hence if you are caught for whatever reason, it could mean problems.

Personally, I didn't chance it and reluctantly left behind an excellent, highly rated seat and bought one after reviewing which ones were best here.