Ship or not to ship that is the question?!

drstu

Hi All,

My family are coming over to Aus in Jan 2014. I will be working on a 457. We're thinking of it as an 18 month trial initially so are keeping our UK home - sadly we can't rent it due to mortgage company not allowing this (I believe).

What to do about furniture? Thinking that we might potentially only be in Aus for 18 months is it worth shipping everything or simply buying in Aus - new where needed e.g. beds and second hand where possible from gumtree etc?

We live in a large 4 bed detached in the UK and are likely to rent the same in Aus.

Thoughts on a 'postcard' please ...!

Thx so much for your help with this.

Best wishes,

​Stu.

Hi,

i see your pain.

remember that everything in Oz is super expensive so to buy all the things will be costly. Buying from gumtree sometime is a huge pain as you find something good but is in other part of town, arrange transport etc can be a pain too.

99% rental properties in Melbourne comes unfurnished or if it does is $$$ . Add storage cost in Uk.

Get a quote from shipping company and it might turn out is better to bring your things over.

we came to Melbourne for Xmas only but decide to stay long, one suitcase each ( family 2+2). We managed to rent a furnished townhouse but everything in this house is so old it breakers in hands so we are keep on buying things...costly.

decided to bring belongings once we buy new house. House back in the Uk rent out furnished - little cost of storage. Luckily !

18 months is long time might be worth bringing over.

hope this help

​e

personally i dont think its too bad cost wise if you do look on gumtree or ebay, also people on here are going home and selling there belongings off, you can pick up some great bargins there are quite a few furniture stores in dandonong that are quite reasonably priced kmart is great ( cheap) for your house ware ie- kitchen laundry bedding, i hear there is a furniture company super a mart i think its called is good for your bulk items and some places give you discount when you buy in bulk, we brought our furniture with us last september were going home at the end of the year so have to ship it back again its very costly, best to research furniture stores and gumtree aus and way up your storage and shipping costs.

Firstly I would say to definitely ship. The cost of replacing your furniture will far outweigh the cost of shipping. Also, if you do move back to the UK in 18 months, what are you going to do with all your Australian furniture? Whilst garage sales are pretty popular here, you'd have to be pretty lucky to sell a house full of furniture!

Just on the mortgage front, your existing mortgage may well not let you rent your place out but you can go to a mortgage broker who should be able to find a buy to let mortgage for you. I let mine out without too much difficulty and by using a letting agent I am comfortable that everything is fine even though I'm on the other side of the world.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!