Wedding cake, wood dining table and plant pots?

MrsRead

Hi Folks, my hubby and I are moving to Oz this year, and I have a few questions regarding what we can bring with us. We got married last year and my Dad made us an absolutely gorgeous wedding cake. It's so lovely, we haven't had the heart to eat it! Just wondering if this is a no-no to bring with us to Oz?

Also, my parents bought me a beautiful mahogany dining table as a housewarming present for my first house. Apart from being very beautiful, it has great sentimental value. Will there be any issues bringing it in? I also have a large urn-type planter which I would like to bring over (it will be scrubbed clean!)

We have begun the packing process, and I'm a little concerned as from what I've been reading so far on this forum, people seem to be allocating specific boxes for "kitchenware", "bedding" etc, whereas ours are just filled with bits and pieces from all corners of our home!! Not a major issue as it can easily be repacked, but it will save an awful lot of space if I can jam some summer clothes (that I probably won't be needing here in the cold, grey UK, lol) into a gap in a box half-filled with glasses!

Many thanks :cool:

Hi there, hubby and I are heading out to Oz two weeks today!!!!!

Not sure about the wedding cake although you will probably get a reply from someone about that. The mahogany dining table will be fine as it is classed as treated wood, also the planter will be fine as long as it is scrubbed and free from any dirt etc.

We had a piece of our wedding cake left but decided to throw it away :eek: but was only a small portion, however I understand your dilemma about yours especially when your dad made it!!! Fingers crossed you can take it.

I have had to give away my wicker wash basket !! Yes I know to many it's just a wash basket but to me it saw me through my student days and had it for 20 years .......

Good Luck with your move. Are you packing everything yourself or using a removal firm?

X x x

Thanks Toothpixie, and good luck with your move too. :biggrin: Lucky things; we still haven't got a date yet as it all hinges on my hubby's work transfer, although we're cracking on with the essentials, such as getting our dog vaccinated. We were planning to pack everything ourselves to save on cost. We haven't actually got too much stuff as we have a houseboat! It will be the table and chairs, a couple of mirrors, the tvs (if we get a good price on the boat, they'll be staying), kitchen equipment, my hubby's tools and camping gear, and clothes.

Whereabouts are you moving to? All the best with it! xx

Eat the cake at a family farewell gathering...

Nice idea, but my parents are being quite "difficult" at the moment. Hopefully it's just a short phase, but I think the way things are at the moment, doing something like that would be like poking a stick in a wasps' nest... :-(

Toothpixie, we're off to the Blue Mountains, just outside Sydney. Really can't wait to get into the outdoorsy lifestyle!

The Blue Mountains look beautiful and is definitely a place hubby and I will visit. What a shame about your parents, obviously don't know what's going on but try not and let it spoil your adventure. It's your life so live it. X x

Stay Well & Good Luck. X

Not a major issue as it can easily be repacked, but it will save an awful lot of space if I can jam some summer clothes (that I probably won't be needing here in the cold, grey UK, lol) into a gap in a box half-filled with glasses!

Many thanks :cool:

We did this, used pillow cases etc to wrap delicate items, packed the kids toy washing machine with some clothes,, basically if there was a space we stuffed something in it,,lol.. We used Crown Relo and all they did was pick up our boxes and drop them into their named boxes.. It worked for us..

The dining table shouldnt be an issue but the wedding cake may be..

​ Cal x

Nice idea, but my parents are being quite "difficult" at the moment. Hopefully it's just a short phase, but I think the way things are at the moment, doing something like that would be like poking a stick in a wasps' nest... :-(

Unfortunate - but may be better than confessing that it was 'disposed of' untasted by Australian Customs, which I believe is a distinct possibility. They are very concerned with foodstuffs so I fear it would not pass unmolested...