Do's & Don't what to take??

Hi all, is there a link or website of what you can and can't take to OZ, We have just applied for our 189 visa, so I know we have at least three moths till we hopefully receive it and I was wondering if there is a list of what you can and can't take. We were only planning to take about 20 or so boxes of keep sake things as we didn't think it was worth taking beds/furniture etc as it will costs too much to ship and we thought that we could buy it all for the same price, we also going to be living at my sisters for at least 3 months before we buy or rent somewhere.

Thanks

The Peachey's

Hi all, is there a link or website of what you can and can't take to OZ, We have just applied for our 189 visa, so I know we have at least three moths till we hopefully receive it and I was wondering if there is a list of what you can and can't take. We were only planning to take about 20 or so boxes of keep sake things as we didn't think it was worth taking beds/furniture etc as it will costs too much to ship and we thought that we could buy it all for the same price, we also going to be living at my sisters for at least 3 months before we buy or rent somewhere.

Thanks

The Peachey's

Hi kelly

Just so you know, the furniture in australia is VERY expensive and fairly naff. Some ikea stuffis the sameish price, lots of it is much more. Im going to take everything, inc beds etc. My advice would be if youre not taking furniture defs take towels bedding etc. This is SO expensive there, and nowhere near as good quality. Most rentals in oz are unfurnished and the difference you pay for furnished would defs pay for the shipping overall. Im going to be using the move cube http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/shipping/movecube lots of really good reports about it. I lived in queensland for 2 years and took buggar all, it cost me a fortune in kitting myself out with even simple stuff such as crockery pans etc bedding. I learnt my lesson and this time its all going. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any other help x x x

Agree with the move cube bit, but don't agree with the price of stuff, certainly not if your earning. Houses out here are different to UK. You only need to look at theatre rooms. A bog standard three piece would look a little out of place in there.

We came with no savings, once working we bought, you can get many a bargain here

Agree with the move cube bit, but don't agree with the price of stuff, certainly not if your earning. Houses out here are different to UK. You only need to look at theatre rooms. A bog standard three piece would look a little out of place in there.

We came with no savings, once working we bought, you can get many a bargain here

Where do u live fifi? That's good to hear! I was thinking of only bringing the sentimental things, my furniture like suite is not worth bringing, I've had it almost 12years.. My bed is ready to be renewed anyway and I'm not a big furniture ornimant person anyway , I will be happy with ikea till I get settled and ready to purchase higher quality items later.. Hope I'm going the right thing..

Thanks

The Peachey's

Bev is correct. The furniture is hugely expensive here, as are white goods. It will work out cheaper for you to ship your own things than buy out here (unless you plan to buy everything second hand on gumtree). If you have a well paid job straight away, you may not be too worried, but if you don't, it could be a struggle. We spent over $700 on the basics (camp bed, air beds for the kids, saucepan set, bedding) to use even before our things arrived and I had taken plates, cups, knives, forks and bowls in our luggage so we did not have to replace those. We were shocked as looking at various UK websites, we would have paid under £200 for the lot in the UK. Everything we bought was the cheapest possible. However we do plan to go camping so it will not be wasted in the end, but it is a hard pill to swallow right at the start.

Avoid taking food. Alcohol and cigarettes will be taxed so drink/smoke before you come unless you are willing to pay duty on them.

Anything you have owned for less than 12 months will be subject to duty.

Be aware that things like nativity scenes can be sent for advanced frying (heat treatment) if they have moss or hay in them. Mine, which is much loved, now resembles a nativity scene after a bush fire. It adds a little authenticity with smoked walls etc! The kids haven't yet questioned whether or not they had bush fires in Bethlehem.

Good luck with your move!

Edited by Incata

Hi

This link will answer all your questions on what you and cant bring -http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/moving-emigrating

We didn't bring any furniture and found places such as Super A mart really good. There are Fantastic Furniture shops around too but they have cheaper quality things (a bit like Ikea quality) but still ideal to tide you over until you buy a house and know exactly what furniture you need.

​ Cal x

Guest chris955

I would look at bringing everything you can to be honest, you can get cheap but from experience you get what you pay for. If you are able to bring decent furniture I would.

Bev is correct. The furniture is hugely expensive here, as are white goods. It will work out cheaper for you to ship your own things than buy out here (unless you plan to buy everything second hand on gumtree). If you have a well paid job straight away, you may not be too worried, but if you don't, it could be a struggle. We spent over $700 on the basics (camp bed, air beds for the kids, saucepan set, bedding) to use even before our things arrived and I had taken plates, cups, knives, forks and bowls in our luggage so we did not have to replace those. We were shocked as looking at various UK websites, we would have paid under £200 for the lot in the UK. Everything we bought was the cheapest possible. However we do plan to go camping so it will not be wasted in the end, but it is a hard pill to swallow right at the start.

Avoid taking food. Alcohol and cigarettes will be taxed so drink/smoke before you come unless you are willing to pay duty on them.

Anything you have owned for less than 12 months will be subject to duty.

Be aware that things like nativity scenes can be sent for advanced frying (heat treatment) if they have moss or hay in them. Mine, which is much loved, now resembles a nativity scene after a bush fire. It adds a little authenticity with smoked walls etc! The kids haven't yet questioned whether or not they had bush fires in Bethlehem.

Good luck with your move!

This really made me chuckle:biglaugh:

The link that Cal put on is excellent - thanks:notworthy:

I think it all depends on your taste, how much sentimental stuff you have and what your circumstances will be when you get there. Personally, we were all set for the Move Cube, taking only essentials and sentimental things and then I read a post about a 20footer self pack and now that I have looked into things in more detail, we are going with one of them and taking as much as we can. We are selling our house furnished, so the maj of our furniture will be new. We have bought what we really want after taking our time, having a good look round in shops and online and found some bargains. For instance, a tv that my OH wants is €1600 here and $4190 there, so a no brainer. I also feel that I cannot get rid of everything as these things are our life and memories. Having said that, I know people that have turned up with their suitcases and bought everything over there and would do exactly the same again. I think you have to do what is right for you. Let's just hope that AQIS see things my way!:err: