shipping new stuff and......suncream!!

SGHJLL

Can you get away with shipping new stuff like shoes and clothes or do you have to declare it and get taxed on it? I have about 15 pairs of new shoes for the kids that will be going to Melbourne in a container.

Also am I allowed to ship suncream.....I know there is a lot of chat on here about it but when we went to Melbourne last March there was no such thing as kids factor 50! Mad I know, my aunt who lives there had never heard of it!!

So just wondered if it is allowed in a container? Also make up?

​Thanks :wink:

There's no such thing as factor 50 because the labelling rules are different here but you will find that the factor 30 here provides better protection than a lot of the factor 50's you can buy in the UK. Sunscreen is also cheap and available by the bucket so very little point in shipping it. And the changes in temperature you container will be subject to may effect the chemicals in the sunscreen and stop it being as effective. If you have some already fetch it over in your suitcase but don't buy it to ship.

New clothes and shoes should be fine to ship - just take them out of the boxes first.

I am taking old and new shoes in our container. Just make sure that the old ones are spotlessly clean.

Make up is fine. Again, this is on our list. I think the maj of people stock on cosmetics and toiletries, but you are not allowed to take deodorants as they are flammable.

Hi all, is there a list of what you can and can't take?? We have Just applied for our Visa and really need to start thinking of what to take. We were going to sell everything and buy new, as we didn't think it was worth shipping furniture, beds etc, just maybe 20 boxes or so of keep sake things.

I know we are still have along time to wait till we get that hot little visa in our hands but I just wanted to starting thinking ahead.

Guest GeorgeD

Don't worry about the suncream...decent creams are widely available and awareness is high about its importance.

Here's another thread which sums it up well http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/167113-dumb-question-about-suncream.html

Basically, it's a labelling thing. The government don't want people to get complacent. Many creams say factor 30+. They're just not allowed to say factor 50 in case people think they are invincible! And factor 50 blocks just over 1% more UV rays than factor 30. Well applied and reapplied factor 30 and following some sensible sun behaviour will be much safer than rubbing on a spot of factor 50 and heading out in the mid day sun with just your speedos on!

Can you get away with shipping new stuff like shoes and clothes or do you have to declare it and get taxed on it? I have about 15 pairs of new shoes for the kids that will be going to Melbourne in a container. Also am I allowed to ship suncream.....I know there is a lot of chat on here about it but when we went to Melbourne last March there was no such thing as kids factor 50! Mad I know, my aunt who lives there had never heard of it!! So just wondered if it is allowed in a container? Also make up? ​Thanks :wink:

I personally think aussie sunscreens arnt very nice...dont smell as good :-/ and definately quite expensive. My friend in perth has yorkshire t bags and piz buin on her list for every visitor

Guest Guest26012
I personally think aussie sunscreens arnt very nice...dont smell as good :-/ and definately quite expensive. My friend in perth has yorkshire t bags and piz buin on her list for every visitor

I don't think the smells relevant tbh, as long as you get the protection. Sun cream is not that expensive, the last one I bought was $15 for a large bottle. Factor 30+ of course. You can even get it free on the beach if you're there when the life guards are on duty.

Here is what you are after :

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/SendingYourPersonalBelongingsToAustraliaAsCargoOrByInternationalMail.pdf

Page two at the top.

Personal clothing and footwear, hygiene articles and personal grooming products but not fur apparel or perfume concentrates - No requirement for owning for 12 months so you are good to go.

I am taking old and new shoes in our container. Just make sure that the old ones are spotlessly clean.

Make up is fine. Again, this is on our list. I think the maj of people stock on cosmetics and toiletries, but you are not allowed to take deodorants as they are flammable.

Is it just deodorants or is it any aerosols eg hairspray, dry shampoo, oil spray etc that are not allowed to be shipped? Am thinking it would be Any and looking mournfully at my bathroom with its many cans!

Roll on is fine. We did not have any questions asked about it.

Yorkshire Tea bags are available in Woolies and most Coles (in the British section).

i buy my Piz Buin on ebay UK. It's cheaper to buy and ship it over than buying equivalent brands here.

Piz Buin manufacture SPF 50. And as they invented sunscreen and the worldwide adopted Sun Protection (Factor SPF) I am happy to stick to using them.

i buy my Piz Buin on ebay UK. It's cheaper to buy and ship it over than buying equivalent brands here.

Piz Buin manufacture SPF 50.

Sunscreens manufactured in Europe are rated against EU SPF standards which are less rigorous than the SPF standards used in Australia.

The EU standards test on dry skin and the Australian ones under swirling water. Therefore, an Australian 30+ may be more effective than an EU 50+. If you are going to go in the water you are wise to use a cream which has been tested specifically for those conditions.