What is the situation with claiming Super back when you move back to UK?

Paco71

I haven't decided yet, despite posting a couple of times previously on here, whether to move back to the UK.

However, should I choose to, does anybody know how I would claim the Super back that I have paid whilst in full time work?

I will have been working over a year at the point I may go home so there is a not insignificant sum to claim back.

Any advice greatly received.

​Thanks

I haven't decided yet, despite posting a couple of times previously on here, whether to move back to the UK.

However, should I choose to, does anybody know how I would claim the Super back that I have paid whilst in full time work?

I will have been working over a year at the point I may go home so there is a not insignificant sum to claim back.

​Thanks

If your PR you won't be able to claim it back till your fund matures. If your a temporary resident you can claim it all back when you leave. Bearing in mind you will be taxed at 35 % on the Lot :-(

It may well be transferrable to a UK scheme.

Unless things have changed in the last few years you can't do this either. My Australian OH looked in to it while we were living in the UK but he was told it wasn't possible. The Australian government is very keen on making sure that anyone who might retire in Australia has their own funds to live on rather than relying on benefits, hence the compulsory super in the first place.

I have been told that if you return and cancel your PR visa then you can claim back your super, i haven't left yet so i don't know if its true. But this advice came from someone whose friend had done this

I've heard this on the odd occasion on various forums but it's appears to be one of those things that only ever happens to a friend of a friend.

Never seen any PR (or ex-PR, if there is such a thing) actually report, first-hand, that they've successfully got their super returned.

This is despite lots of people asking for details or evidence.

I fear it is probably an urban myth..

I've heard this on the odd occasion on various forums but it's appears to be one of those things that only ever happens to a friend of a friend.

Never seen any PR (or ex-PR, if there is such a thing) actually report, first-hand, that they've successfully got their super returned.

This is despite lots of people asking for details or evidence.

I fear it is probably an urban myth..

Sorry to disspoint but i did actually go and check with my friend yesterday after I posted because I want to claim my super back when I return, when she first told me that her friend had been told she could claim it back I knew she had to wait until her visa expired last december, she did sucessfully claim back her super. Because with no PR visa she can no longer return to Australia and therefore does not need a pension there. I also know another lady who has returned and intends to claim it back, once she has I will report back. And I will when I do it, that should end the urban myth or will you wnat to see my bank statement as evidence?

Sorry to disspoint but i did actually go and check with my friend yesterday after I posted because I want to claim my super back when I return, when she first told me that her friend had been told she could claim it back I knew she had to wait until her visa expired last december, she did sucessfully claim back her super. Because with no PR visa she can no longer return to Australia and therefore does not need a pension there. I also know another lady who has returned and intends to claim it back, once she has I will report back. And I will when I do it, that should end the urban myth or will you wnat to see my bank statement as evidence?

Permanent Residency does not expire - the ability to enter Australia on the visa does. What you've stated here contradicts what is written on the ATO website:

Why is this payment not available to Australian and New Zealand citizens or permanent residents of Australia?

The payment is only available to former temporary residents who have departed Australia. It does not apply to Australian and New Zealand citizens, permanent residents of Australia or holders of a retirement visa, as they have an option of retiring in Australia and have access to the age pension.

However, Australian and New Zealand citizens and permanent Australian residents may still be able to apply to access any unclaimed super that is now held by the ATO.

Which visas make you eligible to apply for the payment?

You must have held a temporary visa under the Migration Act 1958 (except visas under subclasses 405 and 410) to be eligible to apply for the DASP.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/PrintFriendly.aspx?ms=individuals&doc=/content/00276719.htm

Presumably, having a pension fund in Australia is enough of a tie to the country to get an Resident Return Visa at a later date....

This is what I mean. It's still not first-hand, is it? It's always a friend whose supposedly done it. Or a friend of a friend.

If you can overcome the ATO rules then great - I'm sure there are loads of people who will be very happy to hear about how you did it.

Trust me this is important to me i have checked and asked the questions, the super was claimed back after her pr visa expired. Are you saying my friend is lying to me? That her friend is lyinh to her? That the other friend i know, who is planning to claim back her super was lying to me when she told me her super fund told her she could claim it back?

Trust me this is important to me i have checked and asked the questions, the super was claimed back after her pr visa expired. Are you saying my friend is lying to me? That her friend is lyinh to her? That the other friend i know, who is planning to claim back her super was lying to me when she told me her super fund told her she could claim it back?

You know a lot people that have left Australia. What do you think about the ATO website saying the opposite??

Another link:

Q. I am a Permanent Resident who has left Australia for good. If I cancel my Permanent Residency can I get my super back? top.gif

A. The concession to claim back superannuation is available to those that have superannuation contributions while they are on a temporary work visa, who have left Australia permanently and their temporary visa is cancelled. If the contributions are made while you are on a Permanent visa then you have to wait for normal retirement age in Australia to collect the funds.

http://www.freespirit.com.au/refunds/superannuation-refunds.htm

I've seen the link, i've done the research and asked the questions. Yes i do a lot of people who have left australia because i plan to and have sought out like minded people. I have the information i need to claim when i'm ready and ill be sure to pm you when i'm laughing all the way to the bank!

I've seen the link, i've done the research and asked the questions. Yes i do a lot of people who have left australia because i plan to and have sought out like minded people. I have the information i need to claim when i'm ready and ill be sure to pm you when i'm laughing all the way to the bank!

Keep telling yourself that, but no one will believe what you say unless you can offer at least one link that supports your claim..

​Thanks

If it's a sizeable amount get your accountant to set up a self managed super fund which will qualify as an ADF, which is "approved deposit fund". and transfer your existing fund to it. If you have no plans to return to Australia just take it with you. I would.