Very disappointed in people

elnak

My children have recently immigrated to Brisbane to escape the hellhole of fraud, corruption and crime in our country. He recently forgot his cellphone and home keys in a taxi and I thought he would get it back the next day, because THEY ARE NOW LIVING IN A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY! where people have morals and are honest. It has now been almost a week and not a word from the taxi company or any person who may have found his Samsung Galaxy S3! I have been suppressing my sadness about not having my children here because he notion that they are better off over there gave me great comfort. I made a huge mistake it would seem, the people there are no different than the lying cheating common criminals in this country. I am very disappointed, I thought the Aussies are different.

Regards.

Elnak

:mad:

Guest chris955

Well some sweeping generalisations there but to be fair Aussies are across the board no more or less honest than anyone else. What country did you leave. You shouldnt let one example spoil your whole experience but all these things happen everywhere unfortunately.

I assume your son contacted the taxi company and informed them he had left his phone and keys in one of their cars?

it's a bit harsh to judge a whole country on just one incident, but like homewardbound said there is no reason to think that Aussies are are more honest than anywhere else. Some people will be but others won't be and it might just be the next person in the cab was one of the dishonest ones.

Agree, don't let one incident cloud your judgement and unless you know the nationality of the taxi driver or indeed the next passenger to get in the cab (and potentially find the phone), you can't really say it's an Aussie ... but as others have said some people are honest and some are not the world over

Please be aware Australia is a country populated by humans.

Humans are greedy in the main. They want more of anything and everything. Every individual has morals, most have high morals and would not hesitate in returning a lost object as soon as they could. Others have lower morals and will not.

Unfortunately we cannot permanently remove from the surface of the earth people who have low enough morals that they are prepared to steal and lie and cheat everything they can off others. Thus they are still wandering around in the population. They are very hard to spot. The only way to ensure this doesn't happen again is to ensure you don't leave your belongings unattended whilst out.

Im sure I have posted something like this in the last few days, deja vue.

Edited by dmjg
Removed space

Wow, well you had a very screwed up impression of Australia for starters. There is just as much crime and dishonesty here as in the uk, the us, or any other first world country.

The next person in the taxi could have been from anywhere in the world.

Your sweeping generalisations could just as easily be applied to your post by an Aussie. 'Stupid foreigners forget to take their valuable positions with them all the time'.

An overall very silly post.

Guest guest76088

Let's get this right: you are disappointed in the behaviour of a taxi driver that may have kept your Samsung. It is quite a step to accuse anyone of dishonesty let alone the inhabitants of a whole nation.

Some people might say that you should take more care of your stuff. Is it fair to say all people from your country careless and irresponsible?

BigD

I may aswell be the first on the thread to joke about them coming from convict stock lol jk. Nah seriously, how do you know it was even the taxi driver, another hire passenger could of found it and kept it?

The only thing you can do is ring the company and see what they say but obviously IF the driver did take it he wont admit it

My children have recently immigrated to Brisbane to escape the hellhole of fraud, corruption and crime in our country. He recently forgot his cellphone and home keys in a taxi and I thought he would get it back the next day, because THEY ARE NOW LIVING IN A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY! where people have morals and are honest. It has now been almost a week and not a word from the taxi company or any person who may have found his Samsung Galaxy S3! I have been suppressing my sadness about not having my children here because he notion that they are better off over there gave me great comfort. I made a huge mistake it would seem, the people there are no different than the lying cheating common criminals in this country. I am very disappointed, I thought the Aussies are different.

Regards.

Elnak

Rather tough on the country due to one unfortunate incident. As everywhere some folk are honest some are not. I wonder which hell hole you escaped from? Surely one such incident is not going to colour your view of your new country?

My children have recently immigrated to Brisbane to escape the hellhole of fraud, corruption and crime in our country.

It's always disappointing when something like this happens. My friend got her iPhone nicked after leaving it for a couple of minutes in West End, Brisbane - another friend's daughter got her new iphone nicked from her handbag in a club in Eastbourne, UK! - happens all over. My son found an iphone on the ground, which we rung - the owner's mother turned up and gave him $100 in gratitude! Wasn't going to let him take it, but she was driving a v large mercedes :laugh:

I may aswell be the first on the thread to joke about them coming from convict stock lol jk. Nah seriously, how do you know it was even the taxi driver, another hire passenger could of found it and kept it?

Definitely not of convict stock if it was the taxi driver, stacey. Most of them have arrived in the country since 2008, not 1788.:wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
Ok??????? I lost my phone..................where do I go to? An immigration forum of course!!....................just to slag off Aussie honesty.............get real!!!!!!!!

If you read the post you will see that this is a parent using the forum to keep in touch with her child along with the mobile phone that has been stolen. This is not a new member although it may be her first post.

Guest The Pom Queen
My children have recently immigrated to Brisbane to escape the hellhole of fraud, corruption and crime in our country. He recently forgot his cellphone and home keys in a taxi and I thought he would get it back the next day, because THEY ARE NOW LIVING IN A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY! where people have morals and are honest. It has now been almost a week and not a word from the taxi company or any person who may have found his Samsung Galaxy S3! I have been suppressing my sadness about not having my children here because he notion that they are better off over there gave me great comfort. I made a huge mistake it would seem, the people there are no different than the lying cheating common criminals in this country. I am very disappointed, I thought the Aussies are different. Regards. Elnak :mad:

hi Elnak

i am sorry that your son has had his phone taken. Unfortunately there is good and bad in every country. Please don't worry about your son I am sure he is a lot safer in Brisbane. My phone was taken last year, however, a week later it was returned, so there is still hope. My husband lost a phone in Melbourne 4 years ago and someone called myself saying they had found it, he hadn't even realised he had lost it. Whilst I was in hospital my husband lost his wallet with cash and credit cards but it was handed back to him with everything still there. You always get a couple of bad apples but please don't let it spoil your view on Australians

I think it can be easy to fall into the trap of expecting Australia to be a 'safer' place than were you came from. I think overall, it is a country that is populated by a mixture of people with varying morals. Much like any other, first or second or third world country! Easy to be down on the nation following an incident such as this but not very rational.

hi Elnak

i am sorry that your son has had his phone taken. Unfortunately there is good and bad in every country. Please don't worry about your son I am sure he is a lot safer in Brisbane. My phone was taken last year, however, a week later it was returned, so there is still hope. My husband lost a phone in Melbourne 4 years ago and someone called myself saying they had found it, he hadn't even realised he had lost it. Whilst I was in hospital my husband lost his wallet with cash and credit cards but it was handed back to him with everything still there. You always get a couple of bad apples but please don't let it spoil your view on Australians

Nice post M2M. Elnak I am sorry this has happened but please listen to other posters - there is good and bad everywhere - I personally have had nothing bad happen whilst living in Australia for many years - mostly people are honest - please do not worry xx

Funny

how people see things. If I had left my phone in a taxi I wouldn't dream I'd ever see it again. Here or in the UK where Im from. Perhaps I don't have your faith in human nature or perhaps experience has told me not get my hopes up.

When my purse went missing someone handed it in... Empty. Someone took the 40 quid that was in it. I was glad that i got my cards back though, i wasnt even expecting that

I really have to agree with what others have said, that good & bad in every country, don't think there is a thing called a perfect world!! Am sorry for your loss but sad that you would judge this as a bad thing! If I had left that in a taxi, I would have thought my fault I don't think I will see that again. but I would like to restore your faith that Australia has some very decent people here I left my purse on a bus & I got it back WITH EVERYTHING IN IT a few weeks later, very happy & very grateful that a kind person handed it in! I also left my purse in a phone box in the UK & I also got it back. I NOW HAVE A PURSE WITH A WHISTLE ON! AS HAVE A HABIT OF LOSING IT ON A REGULARLY BASIS LOL please don't let this incident put you off this great country.

A little story to restore faith in good people. A few months ago I managed to lose my iphone, as it turns out just outside our house on the road near the kerb, must have been on my lap when I jumped out of hubby's ute to run in and grab something. Anyway, to try and locate it I got hubby to ring my phone, and a young guy answered! I spoke to him and he was very polite and asked where I was so he could return my phone. He was home by then and must have walked a good couple of km so we agreed I'd meet him at the bus interchange in half an hour. Long story short, I see this trendy older school-age guy with giant headphones holding my phone in its distinctive cover, hurray! I thanked him profusely for his honesty and gave him the last $10 in my purse which he accepted after some persuasion.

I know I was lucky, and might not have been had the next person found it instead, but I was impressed with his honesty and willingness to go out of his way to return the phone. Also thankful that I don't use a lock code!

Edited by paisleylass

Yeah, you are all correct. Thanks guys :) I suppose I just had such fantastic expectations and that maybe I needed a wake up call. No country or its people can be perfect. A whole lot of you sound like really nice people and that gives me hope. To the nastys out there, just remember, it is extremely difficult for foreigners to get an Australian visa and anyone with a shady past will find it very hard to get into Australia. I am very grateful that my kids were given the chance to go live a better life and thank you to all the wonderful people who have accepted and befriended them.