Hi! Help would be much appreciated.

Nat100

Hi Everyone,

My partner has recently signed a contract to start a job in Sydney. He is due to move out in just 6 weeks. I am unable to move out at the same time because, as a primary school teacher I need to finish the school term up until August.

Just wondering, if it is normal to feel absolutely petrified! :) I know that I want to be with my partner and I know that I want to go and have the experience but I'm just worrying all the time about it.

I don't think it helps that I like to plan plan plan and get things organised whereas my partner doesn't worry about things in the slightest and will probably just pack his bag and go without a second thought.

My main worry is that I'll be too scared to go or settle there and that I will hate it while my partner loves it. Then what do I do?

I also don't know what I should do in terms of getting a job out there? I wouldn't want to carry on teaching if it would be as stressful and time demanding as it is in the UK because then it would be pointless being there.

I just don't have a clue what to expect so I'm struggling to get excited about it even though I know that it is a really exciting opportunity.

Add on the fact that I am frightened of flying and I'm a complete nightmare!

Sorry that this is probably the most pessimistic post in the world, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Nat!

I'm also looking into moving to Oz - it is scary eh?! I'm also a teacher - so I know that you are going to have a little bit of time to plan, plan, plan over the summer holidays if you're intending to leave later in the summer! There's only so much planning you can do - and you are moving to a country where you can pretty much get everything you need, or sort anything you've forgotten via internet. The best thing about your partner being there first is that he'll be able to tell you what needs doing and what doesn't!

It's an adventure! Enjoy the rest of your time here - you may not be back for a little while and you don't want to regret spending your time worrying before you leave! If you hate it when you get there then you'll figure out what to do then - but you can't worry about it like that in advance, otherwise you're not enjoying your time here. And you won't enjoy time there. At worst - you come home if you don't like it. You know you can get a job and find somewhere to live here - so what's to worry about?!!

Totally normal to feel petrified - but just go with it. Lots of people on here are desperately struggling to move to Oz. This is a great opportunity. So give it a go!

From what I understand, teaching over there is a lot less stressful, but it's hard to find work. However the good thing about going at end of summer is that their academic year starts in January - so it gives you time to put your feelers out for how it works and what's available or even if you want to teach out there.

All the best! And Enjoy!

Deb

Are you really "absolutely petrified"? Or is that a figure of speech and really you are just a little anxious / nervous? If you truly are "absolutely petrified" then to be honest, no I am not sure that is normal at all and you really should take a step back and think about why are you doing this.

Blimey, it's not that bad!

It's a first world country with all the facilities available in all first world countries. It's not some dark foreign place populated by people who don't speak your language. People move here all the time from all over the world, from countries where English is not their first language, with children to organise into schools, jobs and housing to sort out - and they seem to manage it fine.

I assume you don't have kids so effectively it's just you and your partner? Your partner will have the housing sorted by the time you get here - so what on earth are you so scared of?

Whatever you do, don't chuck in your permanent job, just take a career break. You might want to think about a career change because your chances of getting a teaching job in Sydney are slim especially if you are going on a temporary visa (457?)

It's an adventure and if you treat it like that then all will be well. If you treat it like a life sentence then, by all

means, be petrified - it's just another first world country with all the benefits and pitfalls that entails. It doesn't have to be forever but you will need to be self sufficient and resourceful

Hi,

I am a secondary teacher and moving to Perth in August. I like to be mega organised, and at the moment feel I am not nearly ready for the move, hence why I am on Poms in Oz. I am kind of the opposite to you though, as I want to move and it is my partner who is more unsure. Once you have completed teacher registration, from what I understand it is fairly easy to get teaching jobs in Australia.

I have been to Australia before - imagine England, but with more sunshine and less stressed, more friendly people. I'm sure you will meet loads of people once you get out there. x

Hi,

I am a secondary teacher and moving to Perth in August. I like to be mega organised, and at the moment feel I am not nearly ready for the move, hence why I am on Poms in Oz. I am kind of the opposite to you though, as I want to move and it is my partner who is more unsure. Once you have completed teacher registration, from what I understand it is fairly easy to get teaching jobs in Australia.

I have been to Australia before - imagine England, but with more sunshine and less stressed, more friendly people. I'm sure you will meet loads of people once you get out there. x

Fairly easy to get teaching jobs in Australia? Where on earth did you hear that? I am not a teacher but have been on the Australia forums for a few years and I have only ever heard how hard it is. With some exceptions like for secondary science perhaps.

Fairly easy to get teaching jobs in Australia? Where on earth did you hear that? I am not a teacher but have been on the Australia forums for a few years and I have only ever heard how hard it is. With some exceptions like for secondary science perhaps.

Agreed..........We are Primary Teachers going through the process of having our skills assessed at the moment. We worked as teachers on a Teacher Exchange in NSW a couple of years ago. We found the teaching side of things pretty similar to the UK, and the staff were great. I wouldn't say it's any more laid back or easy going - everyone's trying to reach targets just like here in the UK.

Almost everyone on this forum say that it's extremely difficult to get teaching jobs in Oz. You may find that you'll have to do supply/relief teaching to start off. That's what we're expecting to do if we make it out there.

Good luck with everything! :biggrin: