Skype Interview joinery booked for this Monday help!!!!!

WoodyYorkshire

Hello everybody hope all

is well I'm in the process of my app for a 189 visa passed my paperwork assessment and now I have a Skype interview lined up for Monday the 8th of April 2013 joinery and its a good three and a half hours drive away I know they changed the process last year to the Skype interview but there's next to nothing out there to help you prepare. I've heard it's a good idea to revise scaffolding and pazload nail gun health and safety but that's it I've been trawling the internet for months I'm now reading my old college books and tearing my hair out and feel like I'm not prepared when I'm trying to prepare just not knowing what I need to refresh my self on can anyone please help as I've 5 days left to prep and i'm blindly reading through old college booklets

any help or tips with this would be greatly appreciated and stop my hair turning grey haha :0)

no worrys (woodys worried)

Hi mate, I took mine in bricklaying at springburn college in Glasgow , which I helped build years before haha.honestly mate there is nothing to worry about. If your a clued up joiner your laughing. It said a two hour interview and I was in and out in 45 mins. The journey from Newcastle took longer . They asked about my exp and asked if I had built using certain methods and then asked me to talk thru it . The men in Victoria uni who done the interview were really nice and made you feel comfy etc etc , even cracking a few jokes and having a bit banter. They won't say so after interview but from there body language you will no if you've passed. You will fly thru. We're you hoping to move to in oz?one more thing all I done was to go over my txt books from college , daft but there was a few things there that were good to brush up on . Hope all works out for your move and good luck. I will hopefully be in perth in 4 weeks.

Hopefully going to Perth brother lives there I'm just reading up my college notes but I'm a little rusty that's why im panicking there's only so much you can read before in goes back in your head I'm fully qualified just feel a little rusty on certain things and I'm panicking that in brushing on the the wrong stuff as joinery is so vast you can be in the trade for 30 years and still not know everything not had much sleep for the last two nights feel like the walls are closing in :0( I know you can re sit this just don't want to make a hash and it cost me more money

Hi Woody I did my test before all this Skype stuff but don t worry M8 I know how you feel though I spent weeks in the back garden in freezing conditions and with a site light on practicing my pitched roof/sleepless nights and being worried sick about passing

Don t know if the questions are the same but I was asked what shouldn't you do whilst cleaning a cartridge gun (I was trying to think of the best answer) but simple don't look down the barrel seems so easy now and i felt a bit of a dim stood there wondering what to say nearly all the questions are common sense and things you will know from your experience in Joinery experience

The question about scaffolding was just about components so just brush up on them

Hopefully the test has not changed to much so all the best and don t panic and like Paul said we will meet up for a pint in Perth when you move over

(by the way another good forum to go on is Perthpoms don t know if you have herd of it but its basically all about people moving or that have moved to Perth

Gary

All encouraging stuff did some site work but was over three years ago now and am in a joiners shop at the mo but not doing anything too tasking building just making shipping crates ect that's why I'm feeling rusty been reading up on Heath and safety on Paz loads too just reading through my old txt books in online format just hope they don't go too technical on me as I'm rusty and its been a while since I've been on site only had 6 days notice for interview and there only do much to read and re sink in your head as you do forget sstuff if anyone has any ideas of types of questions roughly so I can practice in my head that would be good

I will do no worries there's nothing at all on the net about this new GSM Sykpe interview I've been trying to find things out for months I was told I'd have to wait around 3 months for this so was set up to read all my college notes again an hour a night so started reading online joinery books which are a bit ott and have been melting my brain abit and then was given a few days notice of this interview so I'm now blind panicking reading my own college notes and hand outs as I'm pretty rusty as just been on with basic joinery shop stuff for the last 12 months been freaking out for the last 48 hours there's no way I can re read everything I have in time and unfortunately I have a bit of a siv memory.

Defo up for a pint too if all goes well lets hope I don't crash and burn just wish I had more prep time and info on what they do lol been revising today so going to chill for a while now and have a beer as my head is swimming

Positive mind breeds positive actions!!! You'll be fine mate, the knowledge that you have, will come rolling out without thinking. ;)

good luck..... I might join you lot in perth for a pint ;)

Well got there interview was meant to start at 08:00 but didn't start till 08:15 was sat on Skype waiting getting very nervous the woman who logged me in wouldn't tell me anything about the layout of the interview which just made me more nervous the assessor came on he said he had to answer a booklet which contained 200 questions but would answer most in a in direct way by talking to me my interview lasted over an hour and a half he started with basic health and safety questions then moved onto pazload and Hilti guns safe use and what to do on a miss fire, then onto joinery machines what I'd used how I'd changed blades and what guards where on he then went onto jobs I'd done asked me to explain in detail how I'd done them explaining the joints I'd used and components I'd used to fix them this is where it all went wrong for me as I'd got so nervous my hands where litterly shaking as there was so much riding on it he asked me to explain all the consonants of a door and stood frame so I did all the door then had a brain fart and could not remember a single part for the door when head just went blank it got worse because he then said you are really struggling arnt you he then asked me to explain for I'd manufactured a stair case so I started explaining again and my head went blank again which resulted in him not looking impressed and saying well you clearly Havant made a stair case, I had made one from scratch and installed it he then went on about asking me about other things I'd made and my head re booted and I then explained the door components and he said really sarcastically well done he then moved onto other jobs I'd done and said right that's all I've got to ask you and it ended and me realising I'd remembered everything about the stair case but was too late to update him my nerves litterly turned me into a wreck I could re do it now and fully explain everything in full details but in the interview I was a bumbling wreck I work in a joiners shop now and just can't believe it, I explained that I'd only had a couple of days to prep and get to the interview which was over 4 hours away and I was very very nervous had never done a Skype interview but he didn't seem bothered so I left and could of litterly sobbed in the car I'd got so nervous it stopped me remembering things thing I could happily then do back in my car my family from australia then rang to see how I went on so told them I'm pretty sure I've crashed and burned just don't do what I did and you will sail through have to wait 3 weeks buts its pretty obvious to me the outcome I'm fully qualified can do my job with ease but just can't cope with interviews lol so ready for plan b hope this helps you it's quite simple really I just got really Nevis then had a brain fart

I live in west yorks had to drive to Scotland Glasgow felt physically sick after it finished got in the car and started saying out loud perfectly all the things that I'd just struggled on as though I was chatting about it over a pint I've no idea why I bombed I think I just started having a mini panic attack or something my head was spinning well ill have to wait three weeks for the results but Im pretty sure I know what's coming unless he realised I was generally freaking out in the interview which I doubt as he didn't look impressed got to stay positive and keep my options open as there's still other options for me as you will probably know though the 189 190 visa is the daddy of visas and I crashed and burned top gun goose style so may now have to look at other visa types for my Aussie mission feeling pretty rock bottom this week them shrimps on the barby just got pulled from my grasp my brothers just fitted duel road holders on his boat too in Perth GUTTED didn't help watching Robson greens extreme fishing I recorded on sky plus last night too it was the Aussie one double bummer

Tell you what mate , the bloke sounds like a proper muppet , don't let in knock you put it down to exp and book another straight away . You have it all there in your head , just a case of keeping calm, easier said like but you can do it. I just pictured my daughters when I felt low like that , each to there own woody. Not a nice drive to springburn neither is it. Chin up pal and Perth for beers before you no it .:). Turn ya frown upside down .