Part time jobs in canberra

MateCanberra

Hi..

i got VISA a day ago :biggrin: and planning to move to canberra by the first week of april. I am a Business Analyst.

Have some queries in mind:

1. Will i be able to get an unofficial part time job like waiter in restaurant, taxi driver, house cleaning etc within 10 - 15 days?

2. For these above mentioned unofficial jobs, how do we get salary by cash or salary will be creadited to account?:biglaugh: If paid by cash how do we pay income tax?:unsure:

3. how much do one get per hour on above mentioned jobs?

Kindly advice. Thank you

You want to arrive and immediately break the law? Sorry if I am misunderstanding you here, but why would you want to do that? I don't quite know why you would want an unofficial job - just go for an official one, pay your tax, get your super paid and you won't get into any trouble. I don't know whether you will be able to pick up something casual/part time within a week, that probably depends on who you know and what the competition is like but check out the Canberra Times on Saturday that's where most of the jobs are listed or walk through Civic and check out shop windows for vacancies adverts or go to an agency and see what they have to offer.

Hi Quoll,

Thanks for prompt reply but u misunderstood me !!

As most of jobs as Business analyst in Canberra needs Australian citizenship and i am coming on PR so it will be very difficult to get a job relevent to my occupation. Thats why i m asking can i get some other unofficial small jobs to earn my living there till i dont get a good job in my field.

And BTW, i dont have any intention to break the law. I want to pay taxes thats why i asked how do we pay taxes if workig on small jobs?

Do we get salaries in account or cash in hand?

Thanks.

It won't be an unofficial job - that's perhaps the wrong wording, it will be an official, probably part time or casual job which won't be a Business Analyst position. It sounded as if you were after a cash in hand, under the table position. Sure, you can pick up an unskilled, casual position. Salaries are usually paid into a bank account, tax is deducted before you get it and superannuation is paid by the employer. Whether you get one in a couple of weeks is anyone's guess. You should be able to pick up something to tide you over but they do reckon you need to have 3-6 months salary in savings behind you when you come - ACT usually requires you to show that you have $25k behind you when you apply for a visa, they require that much because they recognise that you might take several months to get a job to support yourself.

My son (24) arrived in Canberra a few weeks ago and has been looking for work for a week. Although he hasn't found a job yet, the general feeling is that there is unskilled work to be had if you want it and are prepared to knock on a few doors. My sister, who is almost 19 spent a day taking her cv around an industrial estate and was offered a trial week with a company and has now been offered a permanent, full time job, 20K.

It would be wise to be prepared though, as setting yourself up and supporting yourself until you do get a job (and your first pay cheque) can be costly! Good luck.

Taxi drivers or dish washers are also paid salaries in account ??

You'll need a licence to drive a taxi and then be employed by someone who has a plate. Dishwashers employed by reputable companies will generally do the right thing employment wise. Most people get wages paid into accounts (easier for employers doing the right thing) but you might be able to get cash I suppose.

Kindly answer:

1 How much a taxi driver, dish washer or house cleaner is paid on hourly basis?

2 Will it be sufficient for me and my wife to survive in Canberra if i alone work in these kinda jobs(wud not lyk her to work in such jobs)?

3 Can i live in outer of ACT , i mean near Sydney but inside the boundary of ACT and work in Sydney? This way i can show my presence in ACT and earn in Sydney, if it is legal (I am coming on 190 PR VISA).

You could live in Canberra and work in NSW or vice versa but Canberra is too far from Sydney to commute unless u fly.

I dont know what hourly rates of pay are. In my field of work - data entry - I expect at least $21 per hour (casual rate).

Look at the cost of accomodation to see uf u can afford to live on one wage.

You could live in Canberra and work in NSW or vice versa but Canberra is too far from Sydney to commute unless u fly.

I dont know what hourly rates of pay are. In my field of work - data entry - I expect at least $21 per hour (casual rate).

Look at the cost of accomodation to see uf u can afford to live on one wage.

Thnx for quick reply MARYROSE02 but i was wondering if i could live nearby Sydney but inside the boundary of ACT, not in Canberra..so that it will be near for me to travel to Sydney on daily basis. Thnx

Kindly answer:

1 How much a taxi driver, dish washer or house cleaner is paid on hourly basis?

2 Will it be sufficient for me and my wife to survive in Canberra if i alone work in these kinda jobs(wud not lyk her to work in such jobs)?

3 Can i live in outer of ACT , i mean near Sydney but inside the boundary of ACT and work in Sydney? This way i can show my presence in ACT and earn in Sydney, if it is legal (I am coming on 190 PR VISA).

Check the Canberra Times for the sorts of wages you can expect as a cleaner/dishwasher. I doubt you will get a taxi driver licence, it is very regulated.

the average Canberra salary is around $80k, personally, if I had to pay rent I would hate to have to try and survive on anything under $50k

you do realise that Canberra is nowhere near Sydney, don't you? It's a good 2.5hr drive from the northernmost tip of ACT to the outskirts of Sydney. If you have a visa that says you should live and work in ACT then that is what you do.

i thought ACT required you to show that you have t least $25k plus extra for dependants - this is why they expect you to show that you can support yourself for 3-4 months until you can find work in the profession thy are sponsoring you for.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ..

I applied for ACT SS on 26th march 2013 and I got a mail on 16th april 2013 stating that a case officer has been aassigned for me.

Any idea how more it will take for me to get ACT SS?

Also, assigning of case officer means guranteed SS or still it can be rejected??

Kindly answer.