Adelaide or Gold Coast/Brisbane?

Ahloo

Hi,

Originally from UK, and have lived in the Gold Coast for three years. Have been considering a move to Adelaide.

Things I like about Gold Coast:

• the winter and autumn summer (reminds me of what British summers used to be like),
  • beaches,
  • outdoor lifestyle,
  • access to public pools, and
  • positive attitude to sport.

Things I don't like about the Gold Coast:

• high humidity, and wet summer season,
  • the lack of culture and diversity,
  • the lack of reasonably priced, good and diverse places to eat,
  • the general Gold Coast crass, gross, bling-bling image, and
  • lacking in customer service.

Thanks

Ahloo.

Perhaps take a trip and check Adelaide out. I really like it but it is more like a large town that a city in terms of how it feels to me. But it has plenty of things about it I like and enjoy. I don't want massive busy city and all that anymore.

There are some other threads in the SA forum which people have posted in recently about the merits of Adelaide. Have you read those?

I agree with Snifter.Adelaide is known for its quietness,and that can either work in your favour or against.It depends what you want from life.You will also experience high humidity at times in SA,but probably not to the degree of the GC.Can I ask what line of work you're in?I have heard work is becoming abit thin on the ground now.My brother is a builder in SA and for the last year has had to fly to Perth for work.

Yes, come for a holiday. You may love Adelaide, or you may hate it: we certainly have lots of places to eat (if you are within easy reach of the city anyway) and generally low humidity and dry winters - although it can be colder than you'd expect in winter. There are a few good outdoor pools and some nice beaches, but whether the culture and diversity will satisfy, only you can judge.

You are lucky being already in Australia - not a huge hassle to hop on a plane for a long weekend even and see what you think.

Love Adelaide and no i dont want to bury myself as one comment suggests of the place. Having lived in both Brisbane and Melbourne I know that Adelaide is a much more "user friendly" place, lots of great eating places , restaurants, cafes, winerys etc

A great city which is not too big or overcrowded and some lovely towns dotted around if you prefer towns to suburbs. Very friendly as a general rule. Great beaches right along the coast which again are not busy except for probably Glenelg but thats not a beach that I would choose anyway when there a far better in the selection!

The things which you like about the G Coast you would have here ...The humidity dont get much of, the bling bling no none of - thank god - Customer service as a rule I think is very good, Culture im not sure on what level your looking but you will find if if you look for it and the city has the usual art galleries and museum, festivals etc are great here and well recieved. There are lots of nooks and crannies to Adelaide and SA in general if you look you will find its not all obvious but I like that other places sometimes seem like they are trying too hard!

• 3 years later...

We have lived in Adelaide for 2 years now and moving to the Gold Coast next week. We find it quite boring, after a few months you feel as though you have done everything Adelaide has to offer, plus the wintesr are FREEZING.... like UK freezing and last for 5 months. not the Aussie dream we expected, we hope we find it in GC!

I understand this is an old thread.. But having lived in both places I have the right of my personal opinion. Here it goes... I would choose to stay in Gold Coast.. Adelaide for me was Insular. Some people not all were generally uncultured. The Large Town was Basic. Left in a time warp.. The weather was fine during the summer... Horrible in Winter. I found people were generally pessimistic there. I'm trying not to be biased but I'm struggling to actually find a time I was happy in my 3 years in Adelaide. Must of been poor luck I guess or sheer genius to realise that there is life after Adelaide.