How long is it taking

Guest graham$nic

Guest graham$nic

Hi we have applied for a 136 skilled visa my oh is a fabricator welder we have 3 children 9,11 and 2 we are hoping to move to sydney where my brother in law lives.We have sent off the tra 5 weeks ago was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as us or could give us a time on how long its all taking thanx in advance graham nic +3

Guest jacks22

We applied for 136 April 24th acknowledged end May meds. requested Oct. done 1st week in Nov sent with police checks by Dr. still not heard anything! hope to very soon. Just assuming Christmas break has slowed things down (sold house don't know how long it takes for a moving date hope not too soon!)

• 2 weeks later...
We applied for 136 April 24th acknowledged end May meds. requested Oct. done 1st week in Nov sent with police checks by Dr. still not heard anything! hope to very soon. Just assuming Christmas break has slowed things down (sold house don't know how long it takes for a moving date hope not too soon!)

Hi, we have applied for a 457 visa which i a visa where i have been sponsored by a company so got the job just awaiting on visa, our visa was lodged on 9th October 2006 and i am still waiting, apparently there is a 6 months back log and we have sold our house too just doing last few bits so hoping to hear anyday but we should have heard by end of November last year. That will give you a rough idea i hope this helps.

Lynne & Family

Guest carolinejane

We have today received our 136 visa (yipee) which was lodged on the 7th August 2006. We had medicals on 19th December. All went very quickly and smoothly good luck

Guest graham$nic

Congratulations really pleased for you that was so quick i am thinking ours will take a long time as everyone keeps saying there is a back log our visa appl goes off on friday...................Once again well done.

The kent family

Hi, I'm very confused on when to start my process (136). I want to go ASAP but I have to wait until August 2009 before we can possibly fly over to stay.

I have been seeing and hearing conflicting stories of how long all this takes. There's all the preparation work before sending off your visa application like police checks (40 days), character checks, having your qualifications assessed (2 months), certifying all your docs (3 months???)... think thats all. Obviously some of those can be done in parallel. I know someone at work who has just received his visa this month based on having family over there. He's told me from posting off your application and receiving the acknowledgment, it can sit on a desk for 6 months without anyone processing it due to the backlog, then it can take on average 12 months from then to receive your visa, sometimes even 18 months! Then you have 12 months from the date of your medical to go and collect your visa (job finding and house selling time), which you have to go in person to Australia to collect. If I'm wrong please someone tell me.

I don't want to start the process too early incase it conflicts with my sons exams, but I don't want to wait any longer than I have to, Aug 2009 seems an age away already. Is there any prep work I can do well up front that doesnt have a expiry date, or at least 12 months? I'm guessing you cant use a police check that was done 5 years ago...

Ideally we want our visa to come through just as he does his exams.

It's doing my head in :(

Hi nj,

I have been sponsored by a business in Australia ( Sydney) and my visa is due anyday, it doesnt take as long as people say for checks and certifications etc, I started last September by sending my cv via email to the company who is sponsoring me and asking about the job. it took about 1 month for our medicals, i didnt have to get any of my certificates etc signed. Then got visa application sent visa email by the company sponsoring me then our visa was sent to oz and lodged on 9th October last year and the visa is now due anyday just got a 6 month backlog which would take it up until end of march but hoping to hear before that.

A sponsorship Visa does take quicker than other visa types as i already have the job which is the same with all sponsorship visas cos you have to get the job offer before being able to apply but if it is not a sponsored visa then apparently it can take up to at least 18 months to get it possibly longer.

I really hope this helps and good luck

Kind Ragrds

Lynne & Family

Guest Carol & Martyn

Hi everyone,

A new poster - although have been knocking about on on this forum for some time as well as all the others.

"tonyandLynnes" post has really knocked us for six about the time it is taking for the 457.

Did you apply online?

We have always had the impression both from immigration and scores of other posts that this is visa gets processed very quickly.

We lodged ours on the 20th December. DIMIA have said to us they aim to process within 4-6weeks (31st Jan = 6 weeks for us), although operating at peak capacity.

I can't believe they still have'nt processed a visa from October on a 457. I have been checking every morning and have the champers in the fridge cooling. Does this mean I have to do this for yet another month?

We have a very patient employer - I'm glad you must have too Lynne.

We've sold the house, complete in 4 weeks and have still yet to hand in our notices. - arggghhhhh

Carol

xx

Hi Carol & Martyn,

We did everything online and had my job interview for the job i got in Oz on the phone, when we applied we got told it takes between 6-8 weeks to process then after about a month or so we were then told there was a 2 month back log so was hoping to hear by xmas 06 but then after xmas we were then told and heard there is a 6 month backlog which could take until march now, It is a nightmare but there is nowt we can do it is just life unfortunately but could hear sooner. We think it is with so many going over now they will probably doing the jobs on demand first as priority. My job i am doing now i told them i may not be leaving work if visa is not approved so they know the full situation right from the start and they are fine with it. We have sold our house too but the new buyers are very understanding and are first time buyers who live with there parents so are not in a rush to move in etc. I hope this helps. Dont hesitate to post if you need anymore info. All my application forms etc and job offer and contracts we sent to me via email so i just printed them off and filled them in then posted them registered post next day delivery to make it quicker.

Good luck to you both.

Lynne & Tony

Archived