Dyson from uk or wait

bwatt99

I am leaving my cheap used hoover here in the uk and will probably need to buy another when we move to oz,i have never owned a dyson and see they are very expensive over there is it worth buying one here and take over and would its still be under warranty,or would it be better to import one when over there,i can get one at a pretty good price and not sure if to get one ir what

If you've never owned a Dyson do some research on them.

Personally I'd never recommend them to buy. Can't stand the things. And I've used all sorts of them over the years.

I'd go for a Miele or Sebo every time.

I would buy one and take it with you, we bought a few things before we went you wont have anywhere near the choice of places to buy things.

did you use it before you went to oz,i thought you could not take used hoovers with you?

did you use it before you went to oz,i thought you could not take used hoovers with you?

You can. Just need to ensure you've given it a clean.

You can. Just need to ensure you've given it a clean.

clean it with what?could i not just take it out of the box take any stickers off it attach it up and say put in another box etc who then knows if its new?or how old it is,could be a hoover thats not been used or much as why it maybe is clean as they gonna go through the container to get hold of the hoover to check?In fact do customs go through all our stuff as in take the container apart and check everything or do they just look at the list and say ok we need to check box 38 and 46,which is something to worry about shippers will have placed at the front.

I've just checked Amazon and they delivery to Oz for £5 a kilo plus £20.

As an example a DC24 is £250 and weighs 8kg.

8kg x £5 = £40 + £20 = £60

Thats a brand new DC24 for £310. Why not just buy from UK when in Oz?

How much would the volume (cu.ft.) of a dyson cost in a shipping container - prob more than £60!

Customs can be 'picky' they removed Xmas Decs and santas wand from our shipment -steam cleaned an electric lawn mower that was immaculate and ruined it !

Take all the labels off a new Dyson maybe use it once and wipe it out -stuff rolled up socks in the 'body' of the vacumn so it looks like your using space and hopefully they will never know its new

I dont think your warranty would be valid but hopefully nothing would go wrong with it

What do you mean,i will have a container full of household stuff so what difference does a dyson make it is very full or not so full im sure the quote will be the same from shippers,i dont think the shippers would say ok you can have a 20ft container for £3000 you only have a few items hardly taking any room up in container,they are still gonna if the going rate say was $3500 then thats what it will be,regardless of how much stuff is in it,just cause there is less volume (cu.ft.) im sure this makes no difference that much to your overall quote,unless you have so much stuff a 40ft is needed

I've just checked Amazon and they delivery to Oz for £5 a kilo plus £20.

As an example a DC24 is £250 and weighs 8kg.

8kg x £5 = £40 + £20 = £60

Thats a brand new DC24 for £310. Why not just buy from UK when in Oz?

How much would the volume (cu.ft.) of a dyson cost in a shipping container - prob more than £60!

Forget what Amazon quotes. We looked at shipping one and what the retailers actually quote for shipping is much higher. We found no financial gain from shipping, other than $50 and that's hardly worth the savings when you may have to bugger about sorting out warranty if anything goes wrong.

There is no problem in bringing new as no duty is paid on items under $1000

We bought ours (the top of the range) here from Good guys and knocked 'em down to $720 with a $20 discount voucher on our next purchase.

Edited by Johndoe

With regards to the socks thing - I think the poster is suggesting that if you stuff it with socks customs won't see how clean (and therefore new) it is and assume it's just being used to fill your container as full as possible; you could use tea towels, or bedding or anything. But as someone else has said if you're just bringing one new vacuum you'll be fine, if you start bringing 2/3/4 they'll wonder why you need so many vacuums and charge you for importing.

On the other hand like Snifter says I wouldn't even bring a Dyson, they are definitely one of the worst vacuums I have ever used; but I would have brought a new Henry with me if I'd thought about it.

I have a Dyson stick vacuum which is fantastic, after 3 weeks the battery died, rang up Dyson and they sent out new battery no questions asked. Don't know you'd get that if it's an import as they refer to their Aus warrenty database.

What do you mean,i will have a container full of household stuff so what difference does a dyson make it is very full or not so full im sure the quote will be the same from shippers,i dont think the shippers would say ok you can have a 20ft container for £3000 you only have a few items hardly taking any room up in container,they are still gonna if the going rate say was $3500 then thats what it will be,regardless of how much stuff is in it,just cause there is less volume (cu.ft.) im sure this makes no difference that much to your overall quote,unless you have so much stuff a 40ft is needed

All meant was dont waste space -use the empty barrel of the vacumn for whatever tea towels anything soft When we had a 20ft container the furniture was picked up in a van and the guys had difficulty closing the doors ! I have said before we left CDS in their rack and bound it with cling film or glad wrap as the case may be Why send something empty if it will hold other items

we brought 2 across, a fresh dc 24 ball, and a dc 14

defo cheaper but be aware, dyson's warranties are country of purchase only, the serial numbers for uk machines start uk.......

the customer service teams here in oz are pretty good and there is every chance you will get a free repair if needed, however dont bank on it.

for me dyson's are great not only because they do a fantastic job, they are also super easy and cheap to fix on the rare occasion they do go tilt.

Guest chris955

My wife wouldn't have anything but a Dyson, we have 3 including a handheld. I would definitely buy one here and take it with you, there are some great deals around.

For the dyson detractors...................Jake decided to" suck the water " out of his sports socks (autistic and wears the same clothes daily)..................the sock was ripped out of his hand and it took an hour to get it out of the hose because it was so impacted in there. It couldn't be pushed and it couldn't be pulled. The only way I could get it out of there was to tape a huge fishing hook onto a stick and rip it out in pieces...................Dyson's suck!..................in the positive sense.