Importing a caravan

Bigjohn72

We imported a campervan, all I can say is don't, just don't. It is not worth the money or heartache. We spent about 8k importing ours.

Hi Melbourne, I take it you got 5% duties and 10% GST and possibly 33% luxury tax(if over a certain value)as its motorised. Caravan are treated differently, no duties or GST as long as you have owned it for 12 months or more. Sorry to here you bad experience.

I will update the forum after we import out caravan in July 16 of all the costs involved and who we used.

thanks metoo, for an informative post. i was wondering what the aussies need to proof of ownership for 1 year? do they accept the chris registration documents?

Hi redballs, yes we used the cris reg and we had a hand written receipt on a scruffy piece of paper (ours was a second hand purchase) this was sufficient

• 1 month later...
Hi Redballs, How are you getting on with importing you van.

HI JAZZY JEFF , just came back on to re-read what metoo had written.

just in the process now of picking an exporter and filling the online forms out for the authorities.

i was going to get the steel braiding done here, not sure if the regulator need replacing too?

also the safety chain needs changing but i'll let them do that as no idea what type of chain they require.

HI JAZZY JEFF , just came back on to re-read what metoo had written.

just in the process now of picking an exporter and filling the online forms out for the authorities.

i was going to get the steel braiding done here, not sure if the regulator need replacing too?

also the safety chain needs changing but i'll let them do that as no idea what type of chain they require.

Hi 99redballs. My caravan is going with Anglo pacific. I found a guy in the gold coast who will get the van to compliance.

1st tier gas fitter to change the gas line from olive fittings to flare fitting, fit new regulator with additional testing point and to fit braided hose to gas bottles.

2nd gas engineer to certify all gas appliances

Garage to weld or bolt on towing chains

Electrician to change sockets and to certify.

I think that's about it - Hopefully

Not cheap but still worth it. Around $2500 - $3000.

I have fitted 2 100watt solar panels myself and all up and running.

Next the big clean up and deliver to Trafford park for shipping.

Once I get it there I am going to see if I can get a permit to move it to our destination and shop about,

but part of the import licence online form ask for the person who is going to comply the caravan.

Let you all know how things proceed.

Regards Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Jazzyjeff I'm finding the gas works ect that need to be done seem to have varying prices! if we get charged £1500 for the work we will have to sell the van :( simply can't afford to be ripped off.

I'm hoping to find a garage that is more in line with Rachells costs of £650.:)

• 7 months later...

Just a quick update - Caravan in my yard on the sunshine coast.

1. Shipping company used - Anglo Pacific -shipped in 40ft high cube with personal effects - Trafford park to Brisbane £5500 plus insurance @ 3%

2. Caravan owned by our self's for just 12 months before shipping date. Personal import under small road trailer.

3. Shipping company here in Australia tried to charge import duty and Gst - Be persistent and make sure you fill in unaccompanied effects statement before hand- No Charges or cleaning charges.

4. When our shipping container arrived and cleared customs etc - Personal effects delivered to our rental door and unpacked onto flat surface and furniture rebuilt - No extra charge even with us being over 30mile from the port. Check and confirm with your shipping company.

5. Caravan was cleared around 2 weeks after and I was phoned to pick it up. I went to Queensland transport office for a day road permit which I was refused because of no compliance. So I got prices of around $500 to pick it up on a car transporter. This never happened, so I hired a ute for $70 plus fuel for the day and picked the van up myself and towed it back illegally, apparently. lol

6. Van not complied yet, so we have not moved it yet. Gas guy coming on Friday to quote. Finger crossed

Hope this helps

Will call back soon to update on compliance

Regards Jeff

wow jeff this does not surprise me ,nobody knows their job, this becomes a very common occurrence here. you can get a UVP (unregistered vehicle permit) online to tow your van for the day , no compliance needed. we did this to get it from brisbane to melbourne.

well done on finding a shipping company to take van too, we couldn't find one, so we had to pay a lot more. we really need a sticky on this subject, as finding the imformation is a nightmare.

we were also told that we had to pay GST, i had already heard of them trying this on so i was prepared, otherwise i would have paid, as after all they should know their job and I'm new to the country and don't know the rules.

let me know what they do for the compliancy. we cant find anyone that will sign off the appliances and put a sticker on them. we have changed the gas reg and the braided hose and the electrical sockets. i have read its an offence to sell a gas product that is not to Aussie standards and has a sticker on them. there is not a requirement to comply the appliances for any other reason . in Victoria we don't need a road worthy certificate and we can get the rego done without the complicity certs too - we have been told , whether thats really is the case we are yet to find out. Queensland has different rules though, so you may have to ring loads of people and pull your own hair out about it.

it's certainly been a head ache for us, also the only house we got accepted for to rent does not have room on the driveway , so we now have to pay to store it at $140 a month.

if you brought it out with a view to sell it , do so asap , we have been trying to sell it for 3 weeks now and have had no luck. so we will have to drop the price .

after all the stress and hassle i don't think it will be worth bringing a van over , unless its part of your family and your going to use it until it dies.

vans aren't that much more here, and they do do some lovely ones, which have better suspension and most importantly , which we have already had trouble with is the hight off the ground.theres lots of high curbs and humped roads and steep hills around.

if you ask whoever is doing the work on the van for a 'blue slip' this will give you permission to move the van from your place to whoever is doing the work, so you won't need UVP

when we moved the van from Brisbane to melbourne we paid out over $300 in UVP fees , and the rego in Victoria is only $56!.

how long has it been in the country jeff?

Hi 99Redballs, My van has been here 4 months, but with Brexit we have been in no rush to comply the van. Now we have made some Australian dollar we have started looking around.

On the Sunshine coast people and companies do what they want to do and when they want to do it, and sometime don't even decide to turn up or ring you. Rant over

Will keep everyone updated when it happens.

Sorry for the short reply

Jeff

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi All, Caravan finally Registered and fully complied, looking for touring this beautiful sunshine coast this winter time.

Took a while but we was not in a rush, we have started a Car Repair Garage called" On Top Mechanical " in Buderim,

We Bought an House in Mountain Creek and put a Swimming Pool in, New carpets throughout, new decorating and solar system to the roof,Gardens all landscaped.

That why we wasn't in a rush. LOL, Now time to enjoy Life down under.

I Can now offer a Complete Caravan Compliance for UK Caravans, we have a workshop and storage yard and know the right people to get the job done.

Regards Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1