last remaining relative visa

Guest rob muckley

Guest Gollywobbler

http://www.immi.gov.au/panoptic/search.cgi?collection=dima-meta&query=Last+remaining+relative&form=simple&num_ranks=10&Search=Go

Hi Rob

If you start on the above page, you can work your way through the maze. A lady posted on another forum a few months ago that they had finally managed to get their daughter (about 22) into Oz as a last remaining relative. However, the daughter's application was made before the criteria were tightened up, which I think was in about November last year.

Are you thinking about this as a possibility for your son?

If you conclude that Last Remaining Relative wouldn't work, he could always get a Working Holiday Maker visa. Youngsters can now have two of those if they do the right sort of work to qualify for 2. They can now do six months in each job, too. This helps them to build a good relationship with an employer and it can lead to an employer-nominated 457 visa. That gives the still-young person temporary residence but it is possible to convert that to permanent residence later on, I believe.

For the WHM visa, try here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/index.htm

I'd have thought the WHM route defo ought to work for a nipper as soon as he turns 18, so try not to worry.

Cheers

Gill

Guest rob muckley

thanks Gill, i'm just trying to cover all my options, cos i know that if we are accepted without my son, even after all he has done to try and stop us, i feel the stress might have an impact on us settling not knowing how he's coping. and him not having any support apart from his uncle.

• 2 years later...
Guest lovepuppy

Hi GIII,

Long time no talk.

Tell you a good news! Finanlly my parents' CPV have been granted in Sep 08. It has been over 12 months since they submitted the application in Apr 08. Now they just came oboard this week. Thank you for your always support during the waiting period.

My parents want to apply Last Remained Relative Visa for my younger sisger (only two children my parents have). I am not sure who will be the sponsor for my sisiter's application, but for sure I will be the assurer (my parents' assurer is my friend not me). I think there is relationship priority for that visa. Child and spouse have higher priority. I am also confused if my parents are eligible to be sponsor. They have no income (all retired) how the migration will believe they can provide financial support and accomodation to my sister when they are here. Should I be the sponsor? Then we will lose the priority in relatioship....

Please let me know your opion....

Lovepuppy

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Lovepuppy

How lovely to hear from you again. I've often wondered how you are and whether your Parents visas have now been granted, so thank you very much for the update.

Did you get CPVs for both parents in the end or did you get a Spouse visa for one of them instead? Do they both now have Permanent Residency in Australia?

Now that they are in Australia - and assuming that they both have PR - the best thing would be for you to sponsor your sister for the Remaining Relative visa. You are eligible both to sponsor her and you say you will Assure her.

You would have to wait until your Parents are "settled" in Oz before one of them could attempt to sponsor your sister. And if they have no income then DIAC might well quibble about how your parents could comply with the sponsorshp obligations. But the main thing is that whilst you wait for your parents to become "settled" you are simply doing nothing. At least if you sponsor your sister immediately you ensure that the process is moving and you guard against possible changes in the law if the Minister decides to alter the Migration Program.

So in your shoes, I would sponsor your sister yourself and get the whole thing moving.

I read the other day that the actual processing timescale for the Remaining Relative visa depends on the Embassy where the application is lodged. Somebody was asking and I think their child is the Remaining Relative. The family concerned is British and the application will be made in London. One of the Agents replied to the thread, commenting that his firm is dealing with a similar application in London at present. They have been told that the application will take 3 to 4 months.

So I think it can be quite a quick visa depending on the efficiency of the Embassy involved.

Please keep in touch and let me know of your sister's progress?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest lovepuppy

Hi GIII,

My parents did not change their application and get PR together in Sep. I could not change their mind at that time. Two closed friends' parents applied mums first and got dads' visa later within 1 month. It is really a good way to save money and time comparing my parents' application. Anyway, it was their decision.... I have nothing to complain....

So your opinion is for me to be sponsor of my sister instead of my parents. The Embassy for my sister's application is in Shanghai, I have no idea how long it will take to process the visa. I am going to prepare the application for my sister now.

Thank you for you reply. X'mas is coming, any plan for holiday?

Talk to you soon

Lovepuppy

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lovepuppy

Thank you so much for the information. Most British Parents do the same as your own Parents did. When it comes to it, they lose their nerve and just spend the extra money. It probably isn't necessary but I can understand - completely - why the Parents say, "I've had enough! My nerves are in shreds as is it. Here's the money. Please just give me two CPVs!"

There is talk of blocking the loophole but my feeling is that not enough Parents will really go through with using the loophole when it really comes down to it that it probably isn't worth bothering. The majority seem to make exactly the same decision as your own Parents made, plus your Parents are older than me and I suspect that if I had told them, "Come on" Give it a go! Save the money!" your father might well have told me, "Gill, I hear you but I have also seen Ideas like this one go wrong. I don't want to take an unnecessary, avoidable risk." I would respect his views about that because he would be taking the same line as every other Parent visa applicant that I myself know. Maybe your Dad and the others are right about this one, hey?

I definitely think you should sponsor your sister. Can you e-mail the Embassy in Shanghai to find out how long the processing is likely to take?

Best wishes

Gill

• 4 weeks later...
Guest fairdinkum

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me or advise me of the situation i find myself in. Im 39 so no spring chicken, All my family now live in Sydney, my uncle has lived there 30 or so years, he is quite a sucessful business man, my gran and grandad have been there 20 or so years, my mother has lived there about 13 years and now my sister has just moved over there to live. All are australian citizens except my sister. The only person who isnt there is my dad, who i havnt seen for years, but the last time i heard he was living in France.

Do i qualify for a last remaining relative visa? My mother is willing to sponsor me, and can provide living accomodation for me.

Any help is more than welcome as i really want to get the ball rolling on this one before its too late.

Thanks.

PS- My mum and dad got divorced when i was 16, if that makes a difference.

• 7 months later...

Im thinking that he is still your dad,making you not the last remaining relative, your best plan is to send a letter to immigration in London where that visa is processed,or send a free email on the immi website, they send you a reply back usually the same or next day

Archived