Help moving to adelaide

WarriorSteve

Hi, my mum is moving to Adelaide been offered 457 visa and will be working in area of Fullerton, prospect and klemzig. Can you recommend any areas she should be looking to live. Also her work keep suggesting to live in the city so she can use public transport which is making her feel uneasy .

Her other problem is she doesn't have a furniture for about 3 months, can anybody recommend any reasonable furnished short term rentals till she can find something plus gets her furniture. She has been looking but they cost around $800 per week a bit too much!!!

thanks nicola

I live in Rostrevor and catch the bus to the city everyday. As do most of my colleagues. There is nothing wrong with the public transport system in Adelaide - it is used regularly by many people. I would probably be wary if I had to catch the bus really late at night, but then I'd be wary of going anywhere late at night.

The city centre of Adelaide is actually quite nice and the suburbs immediately surrounding the city are some of the nicest (and most expensive) in Adelaide. Fullaton is south of the city and Klemzig and Prospect are kind of North /North East, although quite close to the city so I can see why her work would suggest being central. Alternatively any of the Eastern suburbs would be handy for these places and the Eastern suburbs are all pretty nice areas. Have you tried posting on Poms in Adelaide? Most of the people on there don't post on here.

Most people get the short term furnished lets for a few weeks and then take on a longer lease for an unfurnished. Often then people beg, borrow or buy (new and second hand) some stuff to see them through till their container arrives. Things like an air mattress, a few folding camping chairs or garden table and chairs they use indoors till their furniture arrives. That sort of thing.

If its just your Mum and she is only looking for a small apartment or house, furnishing it sparsely as a temp measure is doable. I've camped out on a mattress on the floor for a few weeks waiting for furniture. Got a couple of pots for the stove, hit Ikea for a cheap bit of crockery and so on. Bought a single chair for sitting in.

• 2 weeks later...

Furnished short term rentals are always going to be expensive.

Personally I'd be looking for a long term rental and just getting enough minimal furniture to get by for the first few months.

Renting a nice two bed appartment/townhouse in the city or surrounds for about $400 a week and spending $1000 on a mattress, couple of chairs, table and some cheap kitchenware from Kmart is going to work out significantly cheaper than renting a fully furnished temp place for three months at $800 a week.

Oh and if she's looking for something around the end of January, let me know as we'll be breaking lease on an unfurnished two bedroom place in Kent Town at $430 a week