Good News, 190 Granted Today. Bad News, I have issues

alien1975

I am absolutely over the moon today as my agent just rang to tell me that my visa has been granted but there are a few issues I have and would really really like a little advise or hear anyones thoughts just to help me make some decisions.

First, my partner, who is on my visa, has not saved a penny to make the move and I can't afford to pay for both of us but if I go without him he probably won't follow. Should I just leave him? He know's I have worked so hard to change my career, gain qualifications and experience and save to pay for the migration process, so can he really expect me not to leave him behind?

Secondly, because I only found my agent in March and the whole process has gone so fast, I dont have the full amount of money required by WA in the sponsorship agreement but I plan on getting a job to go to instead, do you think I would be able to get away with this if I can prove I am going to be working as soon as I arrive?

Third problem, my partner and I have a house together which I want to sell but he won't agree to, therefore if I leave before it is sold, I won't be able to keep on paying the mortgage and the property will probably be repossessed. I don't know how to go about dealing with selling the house without his agreement but he isn't working and won't be able to pay the mortgage either. Should I just go and let it be repossessed? How will that affect me? It's not something I want to do but I don't know any other option?

I hope someone can give me a little advice, anything will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Elaine

If you are already thinking that you would leave your partner behind because he has not saved up, then this relationship only has a certain shelf life anyway IMHO. So talk to him and if he doesn't want to go and if you want to go anyway then do it. It sounds like maybe you have not embarked upon the immigration journey as a couple, maybe it was just your dream?

Re the house, you need to force his hand. Tell him to buy you out or agree to sell and if he does not do either then he will either have to pay the mortgage by himself, which would suit you as then you have ownership but are not paying the mortgage or you get repossessed and then you both lose out.

If you are already thinking that you would leave your partner behind because he has not saved up, then this relationship only has a certain shelf life anyway IMHO. So talk to him and if he doesn't want to go and if you want to go anyway then do it. It sounds like maybe you have not embarked upon the immigration journey as a couple, maybe it was just your dream?

Re the house, you need to force his hand. Tell him to buy you out or agree to sell and if he does not do either then he will either have to pay the mortgage by himself, which would suit you as then you have ownership but are not paying the mortgage or you get repossessed and then you both lose out.

Thanks Rupert. Honest opinions are what I want and need to put things into perspective. It is definately my dream and he is just going along with it. I think the house may end up repossessed but it's the guilt thats getting me because I have never been one for bad debt.

Cheers

I am absolutely over the moon today as my agent just rang to tell me that my visa has been granted but there are a few issues I have and would really really like a little advise or hear anyones thoughts just to help me make some decisions.

First, my partner, who is on my visa, has not saved a penny to make the move and I can't afford to pay for both of us but if I go without him he probably won't follow. Should I just leave him? He know's I have worked so hard to change my career, gain qualifications and experience and save to pay for the migration process, so can he really expect me not to leave him behind?

Secondly, because I only found my agent in March and the whole process has gone so fast, I dont have the full amount of money required by WA in the sponsorship agreement but I plan on getting a job to go to instead, do you think I would be able to get away with this if I can prove I am going to be working as soon as I arrive?

Third problem, my partner and I have a house together which I want to sell but he won't agree to, therefore if I leave before it is sold, I won't be able to keep on paying the mortgage and the property will probably be repossessed. I don't know how to go about dealing with selling the house without his agreement but he isn't working and won't be able to pay the mortgage either. Should I just go and let it be repossessed? How will that affect me? It's not something I want to do but I don't know any other option?

I hope someone can give me a little advice, anything will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Elaine

sounds like your partner wasn't that much interested in immigrating in the first place??

Since you are the main applicant on the visa DIAC do not care if he has not saved up any money for the move. But it does question if the relationship is continuing and genuine.

You complain that he has not saved any money for the move and then in next sentence that he is not working, bit of a catch 22.

You issues now is if the relationship is no longer there, you need to decided if he should be removed from the visa before it is validated.

If your house is repossessed, and you do decide to return to the UK this debt will still be waiting for you.

You need to sit down and speak to your partner regarding if you are still in a relationship or not.

Since you are the main applicant on the visa DIAC do not care if he has not saved up any money for the move. But it does question if the relationship is continuing and genuine.

You complain that he has not saved any money for the move and then in next sentence that he is not working, bit of a catch 22.

You issues now is if the relationship is no longer there, you need to decided if he should be removed from the visa before it is validated.

If your house is repossessed, and you do decide to return to the UK this debt will still be waiting for you.

You need to sit down and speak to your partner regarding if you are still in a relationship or not.

Hi lebourvellec

Thanks for your input. Do I need to remove him or can I just go on my own?

I know he isn't working now but I have been saving for the last couple of years and have asked him to do the same when he was working but he never. I think he thinks that it will just be ok, I don't know how but thats in his head.

And there is definately no talking to him, he just brushes things off.

Cheers

You should just tell your partner you are selling the house before you leave as you will not need it anymore, he should agree to it if he cannot afford the repayments on his own.

As for the relationship well if you are prepared to leave him over this then i would say that its not a relationship worth staying in anyway.

Dont worry about not having the required funds.. You have your visa nobody will check your bank balance now so dont worry about that.

If your OH stays on the visa he can always enter before the validation date giving him time to save some money and maybe the motivation to move!

Good luck however i do not recommend repossesion i think that should be your final option...

".....And there is definately no talking to him, he just brushes things off....."

I agree with Rupert - if considering going to Australia without your partner is an option in your head, then the relationship itself in in question....

The last sentence of your last post (quoted) is the nitty-gritty....

Communication is the most important part of any partnership - let alone a life one...& if your concerns over something important to you are being 'brushed off' that's not really the most promising basis for a happy future....

I speak from bitter experience.

You do need to try to talk to him about the whole situation - if he won't respond at all & dismisses it as 'not important' or 'not worthy of his attention' then you have your answer.

Then you can start to deal with the other stuff....legal help needed probably....

If he wants to keep the house he would have to buy you out - which seems unlikely from what you have said....

Or if you want to keep it, you'd have to buy him out....a long shot, but would that be possible ?

".....And there is definately no talking to him, he just brushes things off....."

I agree with Rupert - if considering going to Australia without your partner is an option in your head, then the relationship itself in in question....

The last sentence of your last post (quoted) is the nitty-gritty....

Communication is the most important part of any partnership - let alone a life one...& if your concerns over something important to you are being 'brushed off' that's not really the most promising basis for a happy future....

I speak from bitter experience.

You do need to try to talk to him about the whole situation - if he won't respond at all & dismisses it as 'not important' or 'not worthy of his attention' then you have your answer.

Then you can start to deal with the other stuff....legal help needed probably....

If he wants to keep the house he would have to buy you out - which seems unlikely from what you have said....

Or if you want to keep it, you'd have to buy him out....a long shot, but would that be possible ?

Galahad you summed up very succinctly what I was about to post..... so alien1975 my comment is "what he said"!

I am sorry to be very blunt but based on the information you have given your partner seems to be a bit of a bum and you should really ask yourself whether that is the kind of person you want to spend your life with.

He doesn't work. He doesn't save while you do. He doesn't want to sell the house for which you pay the mortgage - of course he doesn't because as long as you pay and he owns part of it...

I might be completely wrong and apologise if so but based on your post the alarm bells are ringin.

Edited by littlegreenman

I am sorry to be very blunt but based on the information you have given your partner seems to be a bit of a bum and you should really ask yourself whether that is the kind of person you want to spend your life with.

He doesn't work. He doesn't save while you do. He doesn't want to sell the house for which you pay the mortgage - of course he doesn't because as long as you pay and he owns part of it...

I might be completely wrong and apologise if so but based on your post the alarm bells are ringin.

What he said totally!!! The bottom line is you have to trust your judgement of people and if you are feeling strongly enough to post your views and feelings on a forum, you probably know deep inside that this jerk is using you and you just need someone else to confirm this so you can tell him to move on.

I think we are all telling you to move on... but first of all make sure that your financial situation is sorted!

Agree totally. I'm also wondering how you managed to convince DIAC of the seriousness of your relationship and his job prospects if and when he arrives in Australia. There are no State benefits for 2 years for new arrivals.

To be blunt, I think you already know what you want to do and are looking for assurances. If he doesn't come with you, you need to tell DIAC, get him off your grant and have his visa cancelled - because right now he has got a visa that he obviously doesn't want, whilst there are still thousands who are desperately waiting (some over 4 years) for the opportunity he has been given. Do the right thing and let DIAC give it to someone else.

PS Congratulations to you on your grant - it sounds like you really need this fresh start and I hope it's a good move for you. Good luck.

Edited by Kazzarazza

".....what he said....."

Thanks - but 'she' dear Rossmoyne....I am merely privileged to be Galahad's person !

And it seems I am not alone in feeling that, though it's a painful situation for the OP, she needs to think of herself now - she has worked & saved & is clearly thrilled to achieve what she has achieved...

Lots of good advice & it's time to put her own personal & financial security first...for some people a really hard thing to do....

Alien - maybe some of the advice is difficult for you to read & Kazzarazza is probably right :yes: you already know what you want to do - you just need to find a way through it....but don't get into debt because of another - you don't deserve it..... :wubclub:

I don't mind blunt! It helps to bring me back to reality and put things into perspective and look at the situation from the outside.

I really appreciate everybodys comments no matter how harsh, life is harsh and I have to deal with it and it's good to get other peoples views. Thank you

Agree totally. I'm also wondering how you managed to convince DIAC of the seriousness of your relationship and his job prospects if and when he arrives in Australia. There are no State benefits for 2 years for new arrivals.

To be blunt, I think you already know what you want to do and are looking for assurances. If he doesn't come with you, you need to tell DIAC, get him off your grant and have his visa cancelled - because right now he has got a visa that he obviously doesn't want, whilst there are still thousands who are desperately waiting (some over 4 years) for the opportunity he has been given. Do the right thing and let DIAC give it to someone else.

PS Congratulations to you on your grant - it sounds like you really need this fresh start and I hope it's a good move for you. Good luck.

I do totally agree with you. I have worked so hard, in total it has taken me 8 years to re-train, get my qualfication, gain experience and so have so many other people like me as you all know on POI. I don't think he deserves to be handed it on a plate but I did want him to share the dream but it's not going to happen I guess.

I am very sure that the new start will be just what I need, onwards and upwards, looking forward to the next chapter in my life. Thank you

This is just my personal opinion, but I would talk to your partner before do anything first or anything hasty. There could be any number of reasons as to why things are panning out this way. One is of course that perhaps he doesn't want to go. However, what it he is keen to go but really anxious about the move, settling in a new country, leaving friends and family, etc etc?

My wife and I are both keen to make the move, but express that in very different ways. Key thing is to talk first, you might be surprised. :)

• 3 years later...