Tassie here we come.......

Chapz74

We'll be in Tassie on the 17th February WOOP WOOP.

We finally got our visas through and we now in the process of booking our 4 week holiday accomodation around hobart so we can have a good nose around and see where looks to suits us and our childrens needs.

Any pointers regarding (rental) house hunting, (electrical) job hunting etc would be very much appreciated.

Ray, Ellie

Phoebe (9), Raymond(6), Bonnie(3) & Bayden(1):biggrin:

Hey Congratulations :biggrin:

Best place to start looking for rentals is onRealestate.co.au that will give you a good sense of what is out there and whatthe prices are like. As for locations to move its difficult to say really,they're many lovely areas around Hobart and since the city is small it doesn’ttake long to get anywhere so it will be down to your personal taste.

Just remember that it is rare to find accommodation that will be furnished inAustralia and rentals will require a security deposit (bond) so account forthat big out lay of cash when you first arrive.

I can’t help you much on the job front as I don’t know much about theconstruction game or working as a tradesman. Keep in mind that this year therehas been a slowdown in the construction industry in Tasmania. That's not to soit is all doom and gloom but it will require the extra effort.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Hobart.

We've been looking into schools, rentals and places within a commutable distance to Hobart for work reasons and we are half settled on heading to Kingston as it seems to tick all the boxes to start....

Does anyone have any experience with this area??

Kingston is pretty nice, I have a few friends that live there and visit the beach pretty often. It's a quickly expanding area with a new and growing shopping area. A nice, big, safe beach and a lot of good, modern houses. Also a very nice golf course! ;) As with anywhere, it's not perfect but I'd certainly say that Kingston is very much in the list of areas that would be good to live in :). Blackmans Bay (the next area down) is also well worth a look if that area appeals.

One thing I'd say is that when you arrive (provided you've got initial short-term accommodation sorted), take a few trips around the areas that you're thinking about living. There are loads of areas around Hobart that are really good. I'd say Kingston is near the top but make sure you look at the others too - including on the Eastern Shore. Being "on the ground" as it were gives you a different perspective than realestates.com.au

Good luck!

I personally haven’t lived out in Kingston but friends ofmine have. You will get a little more bang for your buck as far as rentals go. Theschools are a little average from an academic standards but the facilities aregood. There is enough in the surrounding area including shopping centre,leisure centre, beach etc. to keep you going but a car would be essential asthe public transport options are limited and Kingston is very much a separatetown to Hobart. Six month rental options are pretty easy to negotiate thesedays so if you try it out you don’t have to be locked into it for a full year.

I personally haven’t lived out in Kingston but friends ofmine have. You will get a little more bang for your buck as far as rentals go. Theschools are a little average from an academic standards but the facilities aregood. There is enough in the surrounding area including shopping centre,leisure centre, beach etc. to keep you going but a car would be essential asthe public transport options are limited and Kingston is very much a separatetown to Hobart. Six month rental options are pretty easy to negotiate thesedays so if you try it out you don’t have to be locked into it for a full year.

Agree with all of that.

Hiya

We're living in Kingston at the moment ( and have been for about 16 months ). When we decidid to live here, ( straight from the Uk ) we did so as we thought it would be a good place to ease ourselves and our kids into our new life. This was because it was near to shops and schools and all the facilities that we were familiar with in the uk.

Our eldest was nealy 16 at the time of our move so he was the one that we worried about most with regards to settling in etc. ( the younger ones were 5 and 7 ) and luckily we havn't had a bit of trouble with any of them.

Also, Kingston is only a 5 min or so commute to Hobart, and many surrounding areas are also within a relativley short journey.

Good luck on wherever you decide, and if we can be of any help to you just give us a shout.

Chris x

Hi Chris, thanks for that and yes our decision has to be based around our four children's needs (1,3,6 & 9 yrs) with regards to leisure activities and schooling would you say that the Kingston area is an ideal base? We have had a read up on the local schools and they sound fine.. my wife likes her coffee shops and a gentle mooch around the local shops here is there any of either close to Kingston or would she have to go into Hobart for her fix lol?

Thanks again

Ray

Hi Chris, thanks for that and yes our decision has to be based around our four children's needs (1,3,6 & 9 yrs) with regards to leisure activities and schooling would you say that the Kingston area is an ideal base? We have had a read up on the local schools and they sound fine.. my wife likes her coffee shops and a gentle mooch around the local shops here is there any of either close to Kingston or would she have to go into Hobart for her fix lol?

Thanks again

Ray

Hi

Yes, there's an ever expanding shopping centre in Kingston ( Channel Court ) with coffe shops, take-aways, and florists etc, which is great, though don't get me wrong, nothing like a shopping centre you would see over in the uk.

One thing to note though, it also lacks the local youths hanging about in intimidating groups, which I'm sure you'll be pleased about, lol.

Two of our younger sons go to Kingston Primary school, which they really like, and our older son went to Kingston High school before going to Hobart College, all of which seem to be pretty good schools.

There is a great sports centre here, right next to Kingston High School.

And last, but not least is the fantastic beach.

Chris x

• 3 weeks later...

Here we come............

Flights, Short Term Accommadation, Car Hire all booked and we'll be landing in Tasmania on the 19th February 2013. woop woop.

Can't wait to catch up with all of you guys fairly soon..

Let the count down begin. :em3600:

Ray & Ellie

Guest Guest 47403

We'll be in Tassie on the 17th February WOOP WOOP.

We finally got our visas through and we now in the process of booking our 4 week holiday accomodation around hobart so we can have a good nose around and see where looks to suits us and our childrens needs.

Any pointers regarding (rental) house hunting, (electrical) job hunting etc would be very much appreciated.

Ray, Ellie

Phoebe (9), Raymond(6), Bonnie(3) & Bayden(1):biggrin:

Best of luck with your move make sure you update us once you've settled in, we'll be joining you in the next couple of years hopefully.