New to Forum - Spouse Visa

Guest Josephine

Guest Josephine

Hi from Noriwch- my husband are planning on emigrating to Queensland next year. My husband has Austrlian citizenship and has lived there 15 years. Does anyone know who long it takes to obtain a spouse visa?

I have heard of various timescales from 10 weeks to 8 months . Can anyone help?

Hi

We are applying for a de facto visa for my other half and we were told it is taking about 3-4 months at the moment - how true that is, I don't know but hoping it doesn't take much longer than that! Sorry I couldn't be more help

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi

We are applying for a de facto visa for my other half and we were told it is taking about 3-4 months at the moment - how true that is, I don't know but hoping it doesn't take much longer than that! Sorry I couldn't be more help

Hi Ladies

Is this document any use to you, or have you both already seen it?

http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/FORMS/0041_Partner_Migration.pdf

It says 3-10 weeks for a spouse and 4-12 weeks for de facto, but how up-to-date that is I don't know. There may be an e-mail address you can use to ask DIMA about it, and if you have not already seen the form, it seems to be packed with very useful info.

Guest Josephine

Thanks for your replies - nad the link, it has been a great help. We are planiing to go April/May 2007 so I should start applying shortly.

Thanks again for your help

Guest bananachef

THINK IT`S MUCH QUICKER IF YOU FRONT LOAD IT!!!!! WHICH IS WHAT WE ARE DOING NEXT WEEK!!! FINGERS CROSSED :shock:

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks for your replies - nad the link, it has been a great help. We are planiing to go April/May 2007 so I should start applying shortly.

Thanks again for your help

Hi Josephine

Just be aware that meds and police clearances are normally only valid for 12 months, and although DIMA does have a certain amount of leeway about how strictly they apply the rule, if you get the meds and police checks done too soon, you may end up having to do them again if they time-expire before you get to Australia.

http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/html/

The above is the link to the Australian High Commission in London. You should read it carefully before deciding when would be the best moment to launch your application.

Additionally, this is a useful document, again on the AHC website:

http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/FORMS/0023_Evidencing_and_Re-evidencing.pdf

This document explains about the validity periods for the Police checks and the meds and the procedure for evidencing the visa before it can be validated.

It may be that you should get genned up on the whole thing for now, but not start the process till closer to Christmas, possibly?

Archived