FIFO Carpentry work in Western Australia - advice please

Maisie

hiya wondering if anyone could shed some light for us please. Hubby is carpenter with over 20 years experience, own tools, transport, white card, insurances, licences for high risk etc. etc. and has applied to all the mining companies for the past 3 months in Western Australia and chasing up on them as well but its impossible to get in unless you know someone or else thats what we are startin to think!

can anyone offer any advice, tried hays etc. too but they arent recruiting either, does anyone in this work as a carpenter up there and can offer any advice on what to do. Thanks a mill any advice would be really appreciated

Does he actually do anything that mines need? I've been a long time in the industry on an awful lot of sites and have yet to encounter a single "carpenter" on site, the nearest I've ever seen is a general handyman.

There are very few wooden structures on site; all the major infrastructure is steel and the office buildings tend to be transportables rented from Atco or some other temporary building rental, they'll get someone in to maintain on an as needed basis and won't have someone full time on site just in case.

You might find your best bet is for the camp providers like ESS, the Mac etc (don't know specifically who's in WA sorry) who provide the dog boxes for accommodation, or concrete contractors who might need a formworker.

There tends to be suprisingly few employees of the actual mining house on any site; the majority of the works are done by contractors, you need to be targetting them rather than BHP, Rio etc.

There's been a few threads from carpenters looking for site works, I think one of them managed to get work but it's not a common requirement, I can't recall who that was though.

hiya thanks yeah there is plenty of work for carpenters and formwork carpenters

in the mining towns but its just getting in, speaking to the ones in the office basically they are saying they just either have to wait on go ahead from big mining firms on new jobs or else they dont need fifo at min, loads of people willing to do residential now. THanks for replying though appreciate it.

Guest brickie001

There is plenty of work up there for carpenters & formworkers ..You need ewp, working at heights & confined space tickets . and have had to have been VOC as well . contact companys like john holland, theiss , leightons and so forth.

And i do know about it because I work up north as a supervisor

There is plenty of work up there for carpenters & formworkers ..You need ewp, working at heights & confined space tickets . and have had to have been VOC as well . contact companys like john holland, theiss , leightons and so forth.

And i do know about it because I work up north as a supervisor

How's tricks mate

My OH is a carpenter and has just started working on Barrow Island, WA, it has taken over 6 months and loads of form filling for him to get a FIFO job. I really do think that it is who you know as one of his mates recommended him and things finally started to happen.