renting, building a house and parking in Adelaide

bubbe2005

I'm looking at rental prices for a 1 or 2 bed in Glenelg with walking distance to the beach, and the rental prices i see range from $250 and above per week.

Building a house: is it cheap to by land in Adelaide? and what costs are involved with building a house?

Parking in and around Adelaide CBD or in general, like going out shopping (I'm thinking like London's OIxford street) hard to park anywhere around there.

Is parking free or expensive?

I'm looking at rental prices for a 1 or 2 bed in Glenelg with walking distance to the beach, and the rental prices i see range from $250 and above per week.

Building a house: is it cheap to by land in Adelaide? and what costs are involved with building a house?

Parking in and around Adelaide CBD or in general, like going out shopping (I'm thinking like London's OIxford street) hard to park anywhere around there.

Is parking free or expensive?

We're in the process of buying some land at the moment. The cost of land varies quite dramatically depending on where it is, a bit like house prices really. We just paid $252500 for a 375m2 block, but you could pay less or a lot more. If you are hoping to be around Glenelg then you would probably be looking at a lot more. You can search for land as well as houses on the realesatate.com.au site. There is then stamp duty to pay plus various fees.

Again the cost of building a house depends on what you want to build. A small single storey house could cost just $150k, but you could pay $300k or more for a larger two storey. Do a google search for builders in South Australia. Most of them have plans on their websites and often will have base prices for the plans.

Parking in the CBD isn't too hard - there are plenty of car parks and parking spaces. However it is expensive to park. Some car parks have introduced $6 dollar parking for three hours, but if you want to stay all day it can cost $20 or more. It is possible to find on street parking that is cheaper or free, but you have to be further out then walk in to the city. Parking else where in Adelaide is generally fairly easy and is usually either free all day or free for a short period.

You might want to post this in Poms in Adelaide, if you haven't already as you are likely to get more response on there.

We went into the city for a concert my daughter was in on Saturday afternoon - street parking about 5 minutes walk from North Terrace/Rundle Mall (main shopping precinct) cost $1.60 for three hours. It's more expensive during the week. Cheapest weekday parking is at the multi storey over the Central Market, if you're just going in for shopping, but if you need to be in the city all day you are best off parking somewhere slightly out of town and catching public transport in - we can drive to somewhere like Paradise for instance on the NE side of town and catch the O-Bahn in from there. I don't think I've ever paid to park at Paradise (but that is for recreation not for work - not sure about commuting parking costs).

If we go into the city in the evening, we usually manage to find free street parking somewhere - sometimes you have to circle round a bit to find a space, or walk a little way from where you park, but as long as you allow a bit of time to find a space it's usually possible, once you know your way around! The street parking time limitations, and metered spaces, often only go up to about 6pm so after that time you are fine.

• 1 year later...

Sounds about right re rental units in Glenelg. Will also vary depending on if it's east, south or north. You may end up paying $300 or so. Parking place is often attached to the rental. If you have to park on the street a few do having restrictions in and around Jetty Rd, close to the beach and the tramline.