irish family moving to brisbane - warner

martina5ft2

hi folks

my partner went a month ago on 457 visa.

he is a joiner and i am a spa therapist.

renting a house in warner.

me and our 2 year old daughter head in 6weeks.

we are young couple.

looking any idea on how to meet people.

any mother and todler groups etc..

any irish in the area..

any idea or tips or anyonr looking to meet up feel free to comment xx

thanks martina :biggrin:

Hi there

We are in Eatons Hill which just the next suburb down.

There are lots of lovely groups around - playgroups and groups for people new to the area.

We have lots of meet ups - I go to a park one every Tuesday (it's a different park in the area every week).

We go to a play group at South Pine Community Church on Fridays - it also runs on Wednesdays.

xx

• 5 months later...

Hi, my partner got offered sponsorship on the 457 visa, has to go out to Brisbane for a trial in a couple of weeks. He is a solid plasterer and has his qualification in his trade. Just wondering is Brisbane very expensive, we have 2 kids, 5 and 1 year old. We were holdin' out for the state sponsorship and TRA just sent off when we got the offer of sponsorship so we think it would be the quickest and easiest way in on the 457 visa. Anyone gone on the 457 visa? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi thanks for replying! The employer is arranging accomodation and transport when he gets over on trial and we haven't thought after that. It will give my partner a chance to suss out Brisbane and to meet his employer. How are you finding it? Are you working? My partner was offered a basic enough wage and we are a bit worried that it won't pay. I'm looking at the weather over there too, does it rain a lot? What would you have to earn a week to live comfortably over there? I'm asking a lot of questions, it's just we're very apprehensive about the whole move with two kids!

Hi there.

We are in Brisbane too (and I know Martina!). I would say that one of the major drawbacks of the 457 is the lack of the childcare rebate which means that childcare is basically double the cost as if you have a PR visa. Because I work in education it means that I can't afford to work (also in my area it is mainly casual work so no guaranteed hours).

Weather is mainly great but yes we have a wet season. Basically all our rain has fallen in the last 5 weeks or so. December and most of January were really dry and everyone was moaning about the brown grass - that seems a lifetime ago now!

I went to the Brisbane council/Moreton Bay council websites and printed out the flood maps in the areas we were interested in so I could be careful about where we got a rental.

Wages - it is really difficult and subjective. I know that real estate agents like your rent to be no more than 30% or so of your take home wage, so that might give you an idea.

Good luck working it all out!

Hello

We have been here a year (next week). Love it overall but just don't love the 457 visa and the uncertainty.

I know long day care over here is around $70-$80 a day. A childminder I know charges $7 a hour (minimum 7 hours) so would be similar for a long day.