baby and flying

Guest jordan

hi everyone, just abit worried about the flight. My son will be about one and half when we go and i know its a very long flight. Has any one taken a small child on such along flight and does the air lines help at all,

or has anyone got any tips you can give me :?: :?: :?:

Thank you Stacey

Guest LeeJane

Hi,

We are flying to Sydney in March and asked our doctor what she recommended for our 10 month old son.

Luckily, she'd had her kids on a flight to New Zealand recently and was very understanding. She advised us to ask our pharmacist for CHLORPHENAMINE 2.5mg twice daily.

Lee

Thank you very much for your help, missed the child friendly airline post have read and got a few ideas now. Not frightned about going to live in another country more scared about taking 3 kids on a long flight especialy the little one.

Do they have any baby facilites on these flights only been on a plane once and that was to spain along time ago(before the kids) and i cant imagine trying to change a nappy in those tiny toliets. Again thank you and any advice will be much appreciated.

stacey :? :? :?

Guest wfourie

We took out son on a 14 hour flight at the same age as yours and he screamed all the way. The airline were fantastic and let us sit in the staff seats so that we didn't disturb everyone to much. It was horrific but the staff made it bearable and couldn't have been more helpful. Upon arriving at our destination we spoke to a pharmacist and were advised to give our son the same medicine. I tried it before flying home to see what effect it would have and he was out of it for days! just slept slept slept. I personally didn't like this so we made it home without using the medicine. fortunately whatever upset him on the outbound wasn't a problem on the inbound because he didn't cry once!

Facilities are limited to the tiny toilets so take plenty of baby wipes and a bag that will fit under your seat for just the baby items so you are not always up and down into the overhead. Take your medised (more effective than calpol!) if your child is approx under 20kg (double check this) then you will get a cot but make sure you phone the airline and book cot seats they cost no more but are fantastic if your child is small enough. It is a little cot that fixes onto the wall in front of your seat. Our son was to large and he was a right lump on my knee for 14 hours. Another tip one of us always books the vegetarian food and the other normal because airline always deliver vege first so one of you can eat before the other gets their food and then that person can help the kids otherwise you all get your food at once bedlam! Take loads of baby milk for cereal or comfort airline will put it in fridge for you usually!

On long haul kids usually get a pack of colouring pencils books etc but do take more entertainment toys.

Don't be afraid to ask for anything and if your child cries you will feel awful for the other passengers but there is nothing you can do about it and ultimately these are the joys of economy class.

I had kid from hell behind me once who climbed on my seat pulled my hair, screamed kept climbing over the back of my sons seat and kicked my chair for 10 hours now that was irritating especially when the parents did nothing to chastise or control. Again this is where the staff came in very useful as a word in their ear resulted in the family having stern words about control of their child!

Good luck :twisted:

Archived