Can you open a bank account on a tourist visa?

Guest Phillippa5073

Guest Phillippa5073

Hi, can you open a bank account in Australia when you're on a tourist visa? I already had one previously when I was on my working holiday visa and I closed it before I left - would I be able to reopen that one?

Thanks

Not that I am aware of although I am happy to be corrected. AFAIK its doable on a WHV and other temp and permanent visas that give you the right to work etc.

Wouldn't want to disagree with a mod......but...........

Phillippa, we opened a NAB account before we came out on our last holiday. Just had to go into local branch when we arrived to 'verify' everything.

Still have it now and will be using it more in the next few months when I come back again for next holiday.

You can bank online, so I send money out as and when I have some and it is useful to buy pressies for family out there.

We did it all online, so sure where will be no problems for you. Sorry don't have any idea about re-opening your old account.

Good luck, Pam

Guest Trueblue22

Phillippa, we opened a NAB account before we came out on our last holiday. Just had to go into local branch when we arrived to 'verify' everything.

Still have it now and will be using it more in the next few months when I come back again for next holiday.

You can bank online, so I send money out as and when I have some and it is useful to buy pressies for family out there.

We did it all online, so sure where will be no problems for you. Sorry don't have any idea about re-opening your old account.

Good luck, Pam

Yep me too!! Did it online and was opened within 24hrs. You can deposit funds but cannot withdraw until you have verified your account in person. There are no time restrictions or charges. I even have an appointment organised already to collect my cards etc and will just need to show my Passport. :biggrin:

I wasn't replying as a mod, I was replying as me and said I was happy to be corrected if anyone knew different.

Out of interest, were there restrictions on your account? As in was it a basic one with no OD etc attached to it? As no income as such or rights to reside long term or work etc I'd imagine it would be only the funds you transfer in to it then and nothing else.

I wasn't replying as a mod, I was replying as me and said I was happy to be corrected if anyone knew different.

Out of interest, were there restrictions on your account? As in was it a basic one with no OD etc attached to it? As no income as such or rights to reside long term or work etc I'd imagine it would be only the funds you transfer in to it then and nothing else.

It was/is a basic account, with no overdraft.

We were also offered and accepted a savings account linked to the current account, so even got interest on our holiday money!

We were given debit cards and really can't find anything to say against the NAB service.

ps I was trying to be 'funny' with the mod comment, sorry if I offended you:biggrin:

• 3 months later...
Hi guys

How did yous apply for this ?

When I tried to apply on the NAB website. It didnt give an option for a tourist visa

A while ago now, but as far as I remember, it was just on the NAB site and I had to 'back up' the application with comments about going for lots of holidays, but not having any visa other than an evisitor.

Sorry can't be more specific, sure someone will be along soon with more help for you.

The only restriction I'm aware of is that you would have to pay 10% Non-Resident Withholding Tax on the interest received. But this applies to all non-residents (including those holders of Permanent Residency visas who are not tax resident in Australia) and has nothing to do with having a tourist visa. There are plenty of reasons for needing a bank account in Australia for which you don't need a work visa (e.g. owning a holiday home or investment property).